Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting what I call "holiday baking" this weekend. My mom is a phenomenal baker and overall treat maker, her lifelong goal has always been to have her own bakery because she's just so talented and that is not a trait, clearly, that's passed on genetically as I have made some pretty terrible disasters in my time.

That being said i've promised her the last 2 years i'll practice (what better time to push sweets off on friends than holiday) and i've just failed mainly because in our old house our stove was SO old it had a hard time regulating heat thus bad baking so this year i'm starting early in my brand new stainless steel baking machine!

Today I grade myself a B- on my Pumpkin cupcakes with homemade cinnamon cream cheese frosting. They tasted great both the cake and frosting, but the cake stuck to the papers and my frosting job was a bit sloppy.

All that being said: What does your family make for holidays? Any suggestive ideas? I LOVE being festive!

**sidenote: both pups watched intently from the dining room while mommy fuddled around the kitchen in fear of getting stepped on but waiting for a potential snack to fall into reach :D

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My mom makes homemade caramel, homemade cinnamon rolls, homemade hot cocoa, puff rice balls, and one tradition she's going to keep up is popcorn gum drop cakes (made in angel food cake pans) and using only green/red gumdrops. My grandma died in March so the popcorn gum drop cakes was always something she did..

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mom makes homemade caramel, homemade cinnamon rolls, homemade hot cocoa, puff rice balls, and one tradition she's going to keep up is popcorn gum drop cakes (made in angel food cake pans) and using only green/red gumdrops. My grandma died in March so the popcorn gum drop cakes was always something she did..
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, my Gran too passed away this year in May, there are so many things I wish I could've gotten the recipes for but she of course was one of those that when you asked for the recipe it was "a little of this a little of that, just till it tastes good" kind of lady. My mom is the baker and my Gran is the cook.

Holidays wont be the same of course, but I do plan to make divinity and rolled sugar cookies with buttercream icing, her favorites.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It was a hard loss, as my uncle (her son) died last December due to lung cancer, he was just a few years older than my dad, then my Grandma in March, she had a stroke, and pulled her IV's and Feeding tubes out as she had lost her swallowing reflex and didn't want to live like that. She was 92. I lost the other 2 grandparents in 1995. Anyways my sister put together "The Sims Family Cookbook" a few years back and we got a whole bunch of family recipes and put in a big 3" (I think) binder and gave to everyone in the family. My brilliant hubby made a recipe database and it's now accessible online, so we have most of the 'family' recipes, which is pretty cool. She made Oyster stew for Christmas Eve, but my mom's family did Clam Chowder so we have homemade Clam Chowder for Christmas Eve. I just love traditions & family recipes :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a hard loss, as my uncle (her son) died last December due to lung cancer, he was just a few years older than my dad, then my Grandma in March, she had a stroke, and pulled her IV's and Feeding tubes out as she had lost her swallowing reflex and didn't want to live like that. She was 92. I lost the other 2 grandparents in 1995. Anyways my sister put together "The Sims Family Cookbook" a few years back and we got a whole bunch of family recipes and put in a big 3" (I think) binder and gave to everyone in the family. My brilliant hubby made a recipe database and it's now accessible online, so we have most of the 'family' recipes, which is pretty cool. She made Oyster stew for Christmas Eve, but my mom's family did Clam Chowder so we have homemade Clam Chowder for Christmas Eve. I just love traditions & family recipes :)
That's a cute tradition with the chowder, I love them as well.

It's been hard I moved to Texas with my boyfriend in 2008, he's native here and his family all lives nearby, whereas my family is still in Idaho so I TRY to bring all the traditions from my family to Texas i.e. the Christmas decor etc. but his family is quite full of traditions themselves. It's hard not celebrating traditions with your family but at the same time I think it's just as fun making your own.

Like I said, it's early but we wish you the very best holiday season from my broken up little family to yours, we'll make the very best with what we can.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I to love to bake!!!!! For the holidays I make fudge, divinity, rockyroad, toffee, chocolate covered cherries, not to mention rolled cookies in holiday shapes. My kids LOVE helping with the cookies. I also make the pies and other yummies as well. I do LOVE making cupcakes. Do you use a pastry bag when decorating with frosting. Sooo much easier and fun! Me and my daughters are taking cake decorating classes at Michaels next month. They are 13 and 10 and can't wait. My oldest loves cake decorating. For her bday I bought her everything she needs for decorating cakes. Would live to see pics of your cupcakes.

Lori

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not the best quality but there's some of my cupcakes, I didn't have a frosting bag so I used a zippy bag but my scissors didn't cut the smoothest line so I had to botch my original frosting plan and I just went freestyle ;D

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Oh....those look yummy!!! I can almost smell them:) I love using the ziplocks in a pinch. I also fill my batter with them as well and snip a corner. Never makes a mess. Love watching cupcake wars and DC cupcakes:)

Lori

Not the best quality but there's some of my cupcakes, I didn't have a frosting bag so I used a zippy bag but my scissors didn't cut the smoothest line so I had to botch my original frosting plan and I just went freestyle ;D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Only thing we do is decorate a Yule Log or two and make Cookies for the dogs - Im hopeless at human cooking!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts