Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I only just found your website a few days ago and its just the best chi site on the net! I hope you can be as helpful to me as you have been with the other threads I've read :lol:

My name's James, I'm 21 and run a small film company in the South West of England. I spend almost all of my time working from home, in one room on my own. I babysat my friends Chi while she was house hunting in France and I fell in love with him. For months I've been looking for a Chi of my own and now I've found one, I'm going up to put a deposit down tommorow.

Here he is...

The Problem is, being male, I dont have the er - well natural ability with little things as the girls do so I'm really really worried I will struggle! I dont want to start out wrong and spend years correcting mistakes. Luckily the breeder has offered their help and my neighbours breed dogs so I should be able to keep him safe and healthy, but I'd really like to come on here and just chat and get some answers sometimes. I've read up alot, but nothing compares to learning from someone who has been through it, so I hope you wont mind me asking :lol:

I guess to start with I'd like some advice on what I should be doing now, in the few weeks before I pick him up. Should I be booking jabs for the months ahead, how big a pen should I make for him to play in? I was going to have it next to my desk so I can be close to him all the time.

I'm a bit lost at sea really and dont know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks, James

[/img]

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Hi James , welcome :wave:

I'm just outside south west London .

I am sure you will be just fine with your pup when you get him :)
And I just know that he will soon become your best mate ( as my
boy is too me ) You little lad looks great , what are you gonna call him ?

most vets will fit you in to have his jabs done when you
call my vet only needs a day or 2 notice to book an appointment ...
You may think of getting a vet to look him over a day or 2 after
you get him just to make sure all is ok :)

RE the pen ,as big as you can really , it is an area where you know
he is safe , space for a bed , food & water , a few toys ,pee pads and a little bit of space to run around & play ..

You may wanna find out what the breeder is feeding him on
so you have the food at home which he is used too ..

Sara xx ( sorry this is a little short I'm in an internet cafe
and a little pushed for time etc ) Hope I've helped a little and I
KNOW everyone here will help loads too :):)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your speedy reply!!

I'll call him Ren or Winston :lol: They were the names that sprung to mind when I saw him! Thats a good idea about a check up, I'll call the vet later and get his jabs sorted as well. What are puppy pads?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Hello James and Welcome!

Ur baby is lovely! U will get to ns of help here!!!!

Where abouts in the south west are you from and where did you get ur baby from?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
lol winston is a cool name 8)

wee wee pads are little mat type things that your
boy can wee & poo on , they are made espically for that
reason and help to attract the pup to the right spot . They are
about 2 ft square in size and soak up pee really well .

You can get them in all good petshops :)

Sara xx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im in north devon - Bideford area? He's coming from Slough.

LOL, I'll have to get those pads tommorow, can Chis be really messy?!!
I'm so glad I found this site!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
awww what a cutie i think your questions have ben answered but if you think of any more dont be afraid to ask, is he smooth coated ? I have been looking for a smooth haired for a very long time , would you PM me the breeders email address if possible

many thanks :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
first i want to say, he is adorable! and i love the name ren,..... and winston lol. sorry i'm no help there!

i recomend taking a new puppy to the vet within the first 48 hours of bringing them home, this way you can get them on a vaccine schedule, start a repoir with the vet early on, make sure puppy is healthy, get a fecal done so that can be tested for worms (dont' always trust that there are no intestinal prasites even if the breeder says they wre wormed, it oculd be a stubborn case of worms that needs more tretment) and also to start your baby on a flea, tick, heartworm preventative like revolution.

oh and one more thing.... welcome :wave:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Oh Goodness he's cute! :D

Buy some Nutrical and Children's Benedryl and put them in your cupboard now. Then you won't have to worry later. Hopefully you won't need either, but those are the 2 worst things to need and not have.

Welcome, you'll like it here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your welcomes and responses! All this advice has helped so much, i feel abit more confident about it all now :D

Barnstaple Fairy .... definately, I would appreciate knowing theres someone else in the area with abit of experience with chi's!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Oh he is handsome...I definately like the name Winston!! in addition to what they ladies suggested to get, don't forget the blankets!! Chihuahuas get cold a lot and they like to bury their heads in blankies. I have a longhaired, but my husband keeps the house freezing and he has about 8 blankets...LOL

Good luck, you will be a great daddy :wave:

oh and WELCOME!! I'm kinda new too :D

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Tinker said:
Welcome, your boy is beautiful. Can't wait to see more pictures. Lots and lots of soft toys, stuffed animals made for pets and infants are a good choice. Rawhides, Dingo's, Greenies, all sorts of things to chew on

try to steer clear of rawhides, they are choking hazards and hard for many dog's to digest.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Lovely puppy :D Ive bought mine a fleecy snuggle sack. If you look in the bargain section of this forum you will see that someone sells them...and for about half the price i paid for mine!

btw....I wasnt aware there was a risk of heartworm in the U.K????
And what is Nutrical etc and whats it used for in dogs? Thx :wink:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Hi and welcome, James. :wave: You will do just fine with Winston (see, I already think of him with that name :lol: ) because even though you're not a girl, you're obviously a kind and caring person.

Feel free to ask questions because you will find loads of good advice and moral support here. The only thing we ask in return is that you post lots of pics. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Seren said:
Lovely puppy :D Ive bought mine a fleecy snuggle sack. If you look in the bargain section of this forum you will see that someone sells them...and for about half the price i paid for mine!

btw....I wasnt aware there was a risk of heartworm in the U.K????
And what is Nutrical etc and whats it used for in dogs? Thx :wink:
Nutrical is used when a puppy has a hypoglycemia attack. I'll let the vet techs explain exactly what is in it - for now just buy some. :) Also, if I understand correctly something like Karo syrup rubbed on their gums will do in a pinch.

I want to 2nd what Chiwi's mom said. Rawhide is dangerous. They don't even have to try to swallow it. It just gets slippery and goes right down. I know someone who spent almost $2,000 because of a rawhide accident. Then she lived in fear for over a month of an inoperable trachea scar large enough to shut down her pup's breathing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts