Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I've loved dogs since I was young. So as young as I could read, I bought a lot of dog books in the deceive that my dad would eventually get our family a dog...I am now much older now and live on my own so I decided to get a chihuahua! My place isn't big...I only get the basement portion.

I'm waiting on a litter of chihuahuas to be born so hopefully I will get the puppy near the end of summer! (Which sucks because I kind of hoped to be playing with the puppy through summer)

I've been reading a little bit a day about chihuahuas and a lot of things that comes up is "yappy". I understand that any dog can be trained. I was just wondering how people trained their pup to stop barking at everything?

I have so many questions..this is the only one on top of my head. I never expected to own a small dog, I was always a golden type of person. I have officially been converted :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
good to see you are doing your research :) , not all chi's bark alot , mine arnt to bad , they will bark at people walking passed when we are out the front and myami will bark a little when new people come to my house , i use a spray bottle when they are running along barking at people going past :) it works but persistence is the key

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
welcome! and good luck on your little pup! :D well for one chis arent generally yappy! people so that from an experience with one they met! lol its like my auntie some 30 ish years ago bought a v aggressive chi and had SO many problems! thats why we nearly didnt get tillie! but we have had no problems with tillie :D x

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've been reading a little bit a day about chihuahuas and a lot of things that comes up is "yappy". I understand that any dog can be trained. I was just wondering how people trained their pup to stop barking at everything?
I think that's just a stereo type.

Holly hardly ever barks. She does sometimes in play and when someone knocks at the front door, but other than that she's generally a quite dog.

PS Good luck with your future pup! :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi, If the dog you get is barky, you need to work with it. Barney is very alert, and will bark when something is new in his environment. I consider this a good watch dog behavior. The key, I think, is that I need to consider his bark as a good communication for us both.

So, when he does bark, I let him know I'm paying attention. I ask him what he's seeing. I sometimes go to him and we look together, approach the object he's concerned with, and explore what he's telling me about. Other times, I call him with the 'come' command, and say 'touch', so he's supposed to tap my hand with his nose. Then we explore what he was concerned about.

I've found he just wants to tell me about something. What is bad is if I didn't pay attention, and he got further wound up. If he would get overly excited, he would have less ability to calm back down.

It takes time, trying different things, and some thinking about how you want your dog to act. Then come up with training methods to get there.

Solving any problem you have with your dog is a process, and in the end, helps build a wonderful understanding between the two of you.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
As far as training your pup goes start straight away and a "quiet" comand should be one of the first ones. That said each chi is different. Mine likes to announce stranger, or postman--at eh door. Other than that--he is pretty good about not barking for no reason. I have a yappy daushound out back her--neighbor's dog--who is a yappy girls :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Thank you for researching Chis before jumping in. As far as barking, some chihuahuas do bark. But they can be trained to restrain it. When you get the puppy, start training right away. I think when people say the breed is yappy they mean that they can be nasty little dogs if they are not trained and socialized. Once you get the puppy, come on here and I'm sure we will all have lots of advice... Of course we will only give advice if pictures of he pup are posted lol. Keep us updated.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Our chihuahua, Odie, is an extremely quiet girl. We get a lot of comments on it, because she just doesn't bark. She doesn't bark when she sees other dogs, or new people, or when the doorbell rings. We have a quiet home! The only time she does is when she really gets going playing, and she'll do a really low growl if someone is approaching our home that she doesn't trust. When she was a puppy and she barked, we would absolutely ignore her. I guess she just learned that barking didn't equal attention.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Any dog has the natural instinct to be a "watch dog" no matter how small so you need to make sure that you teach him not to bark at every little thing. If someone knocks on the door or walks past your house, praise is needed. When you know the person at the door or the person walking past the house is gone, you could tell your dog, it's o.k. they're gone now. It's important to be able to distinguish when it's a good time to bark & when it's not. If you reprimand him every time he barks without knowing the reason he's barking, he will think that barking is never allowed and many dogs have saved lives by barking letting owners know their house is on fire, a stranger is trying to break in, someone is at the door & we didn't know it, etc. Our dogs just want to protect us & be praised for the good they do, so make sure you always praise when they bark for the right reasons. They learn quickly; they learn mostly by the tone of your voice 1st, then they'll start to understand the words you speak by constant repitition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.