Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 3 year old female Chihuahua who was a rescue. When she came to us she grasped the concept of going outdoors to go potty but it took a lot of work and fine tuning until she was trustworthy in the house. Even then, if she so much as walked by a door and you didn't let her out she would pee/poop instantly without attempting to hold it. So we just started literally taking her out every 30 min. Its a pain, but I am a say at home mom so I just go used to it. About 4 months ago we decided it would be great to add another Chihuahua rescue to the family. This time it was a sweet Brindle chihuahua who happen to be a purebred who was seized from a "breeder" at this time our older Chi had been with us for 13 months. All was going well and now I feel like I am losing my mind. My yard is currently under construction and we have no fence. So when they go out its on a leash. I cant take the puppy out without taking her or she will pee/poop right by the door. So I stated taking her out first and leaving him in his crate. I will go out with her for 15 plus minutes only to take him out and have her pee by the door. If I put her in the crate she will pee in there too!! Our puppy is now 6 months old and he is NO WHERE near potty trained. I cant be consistent and follow through because if I focus on him she will pee. I feel like every attempt I make at training the puppy she takes 10 leaps backwards. I think all is going good, and then it all just falls apart. She will pee/poop in her crate if I put her in it ( and we have the smallest crate known to man..ok not really but its not a too big crate issue.) and it just doesn't seem fair to confine the puppy due to her. The only thing we have been able to do is a crate and rotate to be able to focus on the puppy 1 on 1. But, then I have to clean my older chis crate and she will go in it regardless of how long shes been in there. Also Both have been vet checked and there is no medical reason for the house soiling.
I don't know what to do but I feel like all I am doing is cleaning up S*** all day long.
Help!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I would set up a pen for them (that offers a potty area) when you can't watch them. Otherwise, they must be tethered to your side all the time and not given "free run" of the house at all. This way you'll have the opportunity to pick them up immediately when they start to potty.
I know it sounds like a PITA but that kind of constant diligence is what is required. You have to supervise them every moment and PREVENT every accident from occurring, UNTIL they catch on. Yes it can take a while, but that's part of the responsibility of owning a dog. Takes a lot of hard work initially BUT it pays off once they are reliable.

Since I tend to answer pottying questions a lot lol I'll redirect you to a link that has more information. Someone posted this thread a few days ago and I also attached a picture. That'll help you get a better idea. Regardless of WHAT the problem is and how/when the peeing is happening, the simple solution is that they cannot have any free roam until it has been earned. One will have to remain in the pen as you let the other out if you cannot manage both at one time. She shouldn't be loose in the house let alone near the door if you're outside with the other puppy. The pen (see pic in link) will help you maintain your sanity when you can't supervise them.

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-questions/65422-help-chihuahua-problems.html

I don't envy you potty training two dogs at once... but it can be done. You'll just have to put in double the effort... and also patience. Tether training isn't exactly fun, but it really pays off.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I would set up a pen for them (that offers a potty area) when you can't watch them. Otherwise, they must be tethered to your side all the time and not given "free run" of the house at all. This way you'll have the opportunity to pick them up immediately when they start to potty.
I know it sounds like a PITA but that kind of constant diligence is what is required. You have to supervise them every moment and PREVENT every accident from occurring, UNTIL they catch on. Yes it can take a while, but that's part of the responsibility of owning a dog. Takes a lot of hard work initially BUT it pays off once they are reliable.
This method is pretty much fool proof if you are 100% with it. I know it is a pain, but a few weeks of constant supervision and you should have a dog that is nearly 100% potty trained. The main issue is you must stop them before they are able to pee in the house. If they pee and then you find it 2 minutes later the deed is already done, and you have even probably reinforced the idea of peeing in the house by letting them do so. I had a pen very similar to the picture above for when I had to go out or couldn't have my puppy leashed to me, only difference is I used pee pads instead of grass, but it is sort of the same idea. I didn't want to use pee pads in the long term so I really tried to make sure they went out to pee whenever possible, but sometimes a little dogs gotta go, and you really DO NOT want them going in the house.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with the pen. I have a new furbaby in the house, the other 3 go out through a doggie door and I didnt want them thinking pee pads were the new place to go. So the pads are in the pen.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Oh; and also, not sure if this is practical where you are but if you don't want to use pads, or fake grass in the pen, you can actually use 'real' sod. If you live somewhere that you're able to, just literally cut up the top layer of soil/grass and put it in a very shallow rubbermaid container (like the kind designed to slide under beds or whatever.) You'll still have to pick up the poo, and once it starts getting stinky with pee start over witha new piece. But that's a good way to actually train the dog to use the "outside" while it's actually "inside" haha.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Kat has given some great advice...

I would definitely take them outside together, and carry some training treats in my pocket. If one potties outside, make a huge ordeal over it, and award them with a treat. I attribute most of my success in housetraining to my older, already housetrained dogs.

But, as Kat said, you will have to keep them crated or penned when you can't watch them, or keep them tethered to you. The little one is going to have to go more often than the older one...If the older one is going too frequently inside, she may have some sort of problem going on like a UTI or something. My 1 1/2 year old and my 4 year old can easily go 4 hours without going out to potty, and crated, the 1 1/2 year old can go all night, and the 4 year old goes all night with the run of the house.

The older one may be acting out because of the new pup, as well.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
You should have really got your first dog trained before getting a second as this makes things alot harder. Pads work brill for me. I live in a flat and the pads are always down. They hardly use them as every hour I take them out to potty.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
How much food are you feeding! Sounds like the one is pooping a lot?! Maybe you can find a good home for one of them to ease the stress. It is definitely best to take them out together so you get them both on the same routine. When the one potty's in the house, do you use negative, firm tones with him like "NO, no we go outside" & to reinforce the "outside" word, everytime you take them out, ask them "Do you have to go out to _ _ _?"
I know that with my chi, I can count down the minutes after she finishes eating. It takes her 15 minutes after eating to have to poop. So I keep a watch on her. She usually ask me to go out by running to me and back to the door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts