Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Maya's puppy cousin staying with me for 6 days. He is 14 weeks I think? (maybe 13?) Anyway, he is doing great (very spoiled) and happy. But my dogs are less than thrilled. Bruiser is the old dog (6) and does not like the whole rough housing play thing. He barely tolerates Maya and finally after 1 year, sleeps with her and doesn't seem too annoyed with her antics. Maya is the playful dog (at 1 1/2) She is the one who jumps on Bruiser, runs under his legs, bites at his legs and ears to get him to play with her (all which don't work since he doesn't play). So, now there is this new puppy who is the same size but thicker than Maya. He wants to play with her and is jumping on her!!! She is shocked and growled at him. But all three will sniff eachother, all with tails wagging. Is this just normal alpha dog behavior teaching the puppy that this it their territory or are they stressed? I only have them together when I can be on the floor with them watching them and try not to hold the puppy in front of them too much so they don't get jealous. Any advice for happy co-living for this week (and for visits later) would be great. Thanks.
Tricia

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'd let them just figure it out. Dogs will scuffle a bit at first. If the little one is exercising dominant behavior toward your Maya, she probably doesn't like that as she's older.

Didn't she just get spayed, too? I would try to keep her quiet, not playing rowdily with a puppy even though they would end up really liking each other, it always seems to happen like that with younger dogs.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'd let them just figure it out. Dogs will scuffle a bit at first. If the little one is exercising dominant behavior toward your Maya, she probably doesn't like that as she's older.

Didn't she just get spayed, too? I would try to keep her quiet, not playing rowdily with a puppy even though they would end up really liking each other, it always seems to happen like that with younger dogs.
x2, As long as you keep your eye on them like you're doing right now to prevent any possible scuffles they will sort things out themselves.

The joy of having pups around passing too soon. Enjoy your week with the pup ;-)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am keeping Maya very much quiet (as much as she can) but she is just being mean. In the year and a half that I have had her, I have never heard her growl. Now it's a regular occurrence. She growls at Bruiser and Jasper and snapped at Bruiser tonight when he was on my lap with her. I don't know if she is just threatened by the other dog here, sore from her surgery or both. But she is not playing nice. I thought that maybe having Jasper (puppy) in his play pen area while the other dogs are out (in an adjacent room and open to his room) would be a good idea to get the dogs used to eachother without being threatened. That seemed to work. I put Bruier and Maya's bed by the pen and they all were happy napping in their beds next to eachother (separated by the pen. Then tonight I sat on the floor with Maya and let Jasper out by us and Maya was ok for a few seconds and then just got shaky, growly and nervous. So I kept talking softly to her and holding her and saying it's ok. Jasper got interested in something else and moved on. Last week, Maya loved him. This week? Hates him. What do you all think? Any suggestions on socializing dogs? Thanks.
Tricia

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh gosh maya has just been spayed she's confused and sore and having no exercise so is naturally peed off with the other dogs. She will be fine once she is better did your vet say whether you could give her short weeks on a leash. If you tire her out gently she won't growl. I promise it's coz of her spay. Daisy is majorly obedient and last week she was trying my patience big time. Were 9 days post op I'm walking her and she is allowed to run but not jump so I won't let her off near other dogs and she is 99% back to herself. Correct the growling but next week shell be fine

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice. Yes, I am allowed to take her for walks on the leash. I will do that today. She just is not herself and I am shocked. I didn't even know she COULD growl. haha
Tricia

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy was the same she has growled at 2 dogs and I trust her judgement but I'm sure it's lack of exercise they need daily walks. I let her off leash today as there were no dogs and you should have seen her go!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts