Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone im new to this site,
im getting a chihuahua in about 9 weekes, they are due to be born within the next week or so, i have always wanted to own a chihuahua since a young age and at 22 i feel it is the right time to do so.
Im so glad i have found this site as you all seem very helpful and i am still what you call a beginner, im trying to learn all their is to know ready for my new arrival.
I get to pick which chichi i want out of the litter, i am wanting a tan or white short haired girl to give a loving home to.
I cant wait to get to know you all and your little bundles of joy :)

Love Vicki x

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hi Vicki, welcome !!!
Glad you found the site, there are so many people here with useful advice like you said!!
Umm just one thing is bothering me, you said your getting your baby in 9 weeks but the litter is not due for a week? 8 weeks seems a little young to me to get a puppy.Is there any way your bub can stay with its mum until at least 12 weeks? The breeders where I come from wont normally let them leave until at least 12 weeks.
You must be so excited!!! Cant wait to see pics :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello thanks for all your messages, i have read alot of people having their dogs at all ages, i asked the breeder at what age os she seperating them from their mum and she told me at around 8 weeks old, do you think it is too early? as i have read on other sites if they stay longer with their mum they will suffer emotional stress from been seperated from their siblings and mum
I am so excited to be able to own a chihuahua and give it so much love, i am a big animal lover :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hello thanks for all your messages, i have read alot of people having their dogs at all ages, i asked the breeder at what age os she seperating them from their mum and she told me at around 8 weeks old, do you think it is too early? as i have read on other sites if they stay longer with their mum they will suffer emotional stress from been seperated from their siblings and mum
I am so excited to be able to own a chihuahua and give it so much love, i am a big animal lover :)
I have never ever seen someone say that a Chihuahua puppy will suffer emotional stress if they are separated after 8 weeks from their mum.
More likley they will have issues if they are separated to young!
Most breeders wont let bubs go until an older age, Chihuahua's are not like other big breeds. So I am not sure where you are getting your info from, but yes I personally think it is to young.
I'm glad your excited, Chi's bring so much love :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Also, incase you didnt know a Chi pup needs to eat every 4 hours. or it can develop HYPOGLYCEMIA is a common medical-problem in Chis, and can be life-threatening;
Another reason pups should not be separated from mum so early! There are a few on the forum who got their bubs early they might be able to offer advice. You said you have the pick of the litter?
Does this mean you are friends with the breeder?
That would be perfect if you are! You could leave bub there for a few weeks longer and go and visit everyday??

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Look forward to pics.

I got Darla at 8 weeks and she was fine, but the breeder would have kept her longer if need be.
Dillon was 9 weeks, he is a very needy wee dog, and i sometimes wonder if he was taken away too early, but he was taken away from his mum mostly before i even brought him home.
The mum and litter mates do teach them things, like not to bite too hard and stuff.
Manners basically, lol
Dillon does still try to chew on my hand, but is getting better.
Darla didnt do any of that, and settled right in no problems at all.
Depends on the dog in my experience.

Obviously if was a real teeny wee one, then i would ask if they would keep the pup a bit longer to be safe.

Anyhow good luck, and i hope the time flies by for you, the waiting is the hardest part, but so worth it!! x

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi, Welcome! Cant wait to see the lil one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well after another talk with the breeder tonight and after telling me that the price had rose to double what they were advertised for and that she has 2 litters on the way (then the if you want you can take it at 6 weeks and return it if anything is wrong) i realised they are purely in it for the money and not the puppies health at all so have decided to look elsewhere.

if there is anyone in the uk who knows of a reputable breeder please let m eknow i dont mind the travel will travel the full british isles if need be :)

thank you

vicki x

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry things did not work out with that one. I can tell you from personal experience that I had to contact many many different people before I found the right breeder and pup for me. I had my heart broken a couple of times, got weird vibes from others, and even came across a few scammers! My advice? Be proactive, consistent, determined and ask LOTS of questions. Asking for references is a good idea too.

The breeder I found has been very open and honest with me. She gave me the name and number of her vet straight away as a reference and posts lots of photos of her dogs and how they are raised in a good home. Took a long time to find her but I'm so glad I waited and went with my gut instinct about not taking a chi from the other people who gave me weird vibes.

Good luck. You'll eventually find the perfect match for you. It just takes time. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello
Many thanks for your reply, you are exactly right. In looking for my Chi i have came across many scammers which i think is wrong how these people think they can get away with it, i am making lots of enquiries and i am a big beleiver in everything happens at the right time for the right reason, its a good job i have patience lol
Your chi is soooo beautiful. Im even willing to travel to the end of the country for the right one.
Ill keep you posted :) x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts