Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little is doing pretty well at knowing where his puppy pad is and when he has to go he runs straight for it. My problem is that he doesn't stay on the pad once he gets there he walks off and poops on the floor. I've tryed to tell him no go on your pad not the floor and when he does it right I give him tons of praise and say what a good boy that goes poop on his pad. He walks off his pad every time just about how can I stop him from walking off his pad once he gets there.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine I've noticed do not stay in one place when they poo, they tend to do a shuffle round the garden. Do you not have a garden he can go in?
I do but he so little right now he only weighs about 10 oz. And a lot of days its still to cold for him to go outside. So he has to go on his puppy pad for now until he gets a bit bigger. Do you think I should build him a grass patch for indoor use instead of using puppy pads? I've never used a grass patch before but I've never had a dog this tiny before either. What do you all think?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have 2 that walk when they potty and often it ends up off the edge of the mat and on the floor. Their pads are on hardwood floors and I just keep the area wiped up well.

They do not miss when they pee and that is more of a hassle to clean up, for me.

The fact that they consistently find and use pads works wonderfully for me so if a couple of them start there and miss I am okay with that in the scheme of things.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Pat, I think it's a little early to have such high expectations of him. It is still all
new to him. I definitely think you should expect him to succeed, but you must
set him up for it first, otherwise he'll fail. Continue to be on top of things and
continue to use positive reinforcement techniques. He'll get it soon enough, just
be patient and consistent. Chihuahuas are such an intelligent breed, they just
need to be pushed in the right direction, that takes time and can't be expected
to happen overnight. To make things a little easier you can try putting two pads
side by side, so he has more room. There is also this device which helps a bit,it
is not a tray, just a border, it works extremely well at keeping the pee from
leaking and helps keep the poop on the pad too since the pup has to step over
the border in order to do his business, which usually puts him right in the middle
of the pad instead of half on half off.
Clean Go Pet Puppy Pad Holder | PetEdge.com

Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Yes, Karen, that's exactly right!

How old is Pepa? She may still be too young to get it just right! A little patience and lots of time go a long way! Hubby keeps reminding me of that - lol! Angel still gets close to the edge of the pad and his pee will occasionally run off! But, so far, he has not gone anywhere away from his "spot!"

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 that walk when they potty and often it ends up off the edge of the mat and on the floor. Their pads are on hardwood floors and I just keep the area wiped up well.

They do not miss when they pee and that is more of a hassle to clean up, for me.

The fact that they consistently find and use pads works wonderfully for me so if a couple of them start there and miss I am okay with that in the scheme of things.
I probubly wouldn't mind because he is better at peeing on the pad than pooping but I just got him 3days ago and they gave me a little kibble for him but he wasn't eating it. So I switched him to canned puppy food and his poops are still pretty runny and very smelly and I would really prefer not to have to clean it up off the floor:(

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
It sounds like he's doing great! If Odie ever uses her pad, she does the same thing and she's almost a year and a half old. She has great intentions, just like your pup, and starts on the pad but she's also a poop-walker (she does it outside as well)! Haha. If you're planning on continuing to use pads, I think a border is a great idea.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I have a pee pad holder with a side on three sides on it. It's great for the boys to give them something to aim at peeing, but someone decided to put cut out spirals in the sides and the pee leaks out through them. lol And Pepe likes peeing on the end of it, so I still get run off on the floor. I have a few that walk while pooping, thank goodness all of them except the puppies consistantly poo outside now. Babushka and Pepper will use the pad to poo and half the time the puppies will use it too. The rest will use the pad to pee if the doggy door is closed because they were just brought in for barking at nothing outside, but if the have to poo inside, its always next to it.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I probubly wouldn't mind because he is better at peeing on the pad than pooping but I just got him 3days ago and they gave me a little kibble for him but he wasn't eating it. So I switched him to canned puppy food and his poops are still pretty runny and very smelly and I would really prefer not to have to clean it up off the floor:(
Are you able to mix the food to transition him a bit more slowly? It will be easier on his tummy and for your clean up.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you able to mix the food to transition him a bit more slowly? It will be easier on his tummy and for your clean up.
I try ed that but even if i soften the kibble he doesn't seem to be able to eat it he is more or less licking up his food still than actually chewing it. His little jaw just isn't strong enough yet. Even with the wet food I have to turn it into mush with a fork so there is no chunks in it. He acts like a 8 week old pup and plays like one and he's very smart but he's just so darn tiny. He's the size of my Penelope when she was 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old and she weighs in at 6 lbs now ? He weighs 10 oz at 8weeks old so he's going to be very ittsy bittsy. He's just so darn cute I just want to squeeze him :) :angel4:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just a suggestion with the pee pad, I have a poop-walker to so I got an under the bed storage container and cut a small 'door' on the long side for them to get into the container and put the pad in there. It gives them a boundary to work within and yet gives them plenty of room to move around as they need.

I now use recycled news paper type of litter and they use this litter box when it's cold out or raining.

Anyway, just a thought you might find useful.

Good luck and congrats with you're new baby

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
How about placing the pad in a low sided kitty litter pan? I actually want to do this myself because my girls will pee on the edge sometimes and it leaks to the floor. Luckily I don't have carpet but still prefer it didn't happen. My only concern is that they are used to it like this and what if they aren't willing to try it the other way? But your doggy is so young and new to this that it may get used to it now and that would be good.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an old bird cage and the tray at the bottom it 2ft x 2 ft. X 2 inches high I think the puppy pads will fit in it perfectly. I'll have to go out to the shed and dig it out but I think it might just be the answer if he can climb into it that is.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That small I'd be very careful with his intake and watching for soft stools. He needs to eat and drink well, keep his sugar up and I'd want to see firmerlô stools fairly quickly.
he seems to need to eat about every 3 hours and I think that's due to his size he's a busy little fellow so he uses his food more often. I'm watching him very closely he is peeing allot and his stools are finally getting some texture to them. I worry also but he seems to be healthy and very playful playing tug o war with any thing he can find he loves to play with Penelope and Penelope just adores the pup she is so gentle with him and so patient. Its so cute to watch them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.