Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a Chi when I was 8-yr-old and he lived until I was in high school, but his death traumatized me as my parents took him away before I could see him. I spent many years feeling his loss. I swore I'd never have another Chi. Well, I'm now 66-yrs-old and live with a beautiful female Chi named Chica. She came to me when she was 1-1/2 and she's now 4-1/2. She is a fawn-colored deer head and has light ginger eyes and nose. For the past 2 years she has had constant watery eyes and even though the vet checked her out (no obvious infections, no inverted eyelashes, no improvement with antibiotic eye drops), her eyes seem to water more and more each day. The stains run from the eyes clear down to her top lip on her muzzle. In desperation yesterday, I tried some dexamethasone drops (mine) and the watering stopped. I've done this for two days now, but am afraid to continue on my own. I'm not particularly happy with my vet, as he hasn't helped her, but am unsure about medicating her myself. Also, I'm wondering if Benedry would help. Has anyone out there had similar problems?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome to CP. I had my first chi at a very young age as well.
I would not use your eye drops. What are you feeding. She may have an allergy to something in her food. Maybe try a grain free food and see if that helps. I think diet plays a big part in the eyes watering. Is there another vet in your area you could take her?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Welcome. Your baby sounds lovely. My first Chi was when I was very young as well.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Hello & welcome!

I'd definitely look into changing foods. Excessive eye watering & tear staining is caused by an allergy...9 times out of 10 due to the food the pup is eating. I'd do what was suggested and find a good quality grain free food. I personally would suggest a dehydrated raw food such as Stella & Chewy's, ZiwiPeak or the Honest Kitchen. If you want a kibble Orijen, Fromms, Acana, Taste of the Wild may be the brands to look in to. While they have a bigger "sticker price"...you don't have to feed as much of the food as you do some other foods so really it isnt more expensive.

You can check Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings for a review on different foods. Good luck...I hope you can find a resolution for Chica so her little face can be as beautiful as possible! :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Since this pup stopped the extreme watering when you used the cortisone drops that kind of indicates an irritation or allergy. Most likelly the later. Try the diet change and give it at least a couple of weeks and see if that helps. I've used the honest kitchen and stella and chewys (sp?) Sue

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and Welcome to CP. I had my first chi at a very young age as well.
I would not use your eye drops. What are you feeding. She may have an allergy to something in her food. Maybe try a grain free food and see if that helps. I think diet plays a big part in the eyes watering. Is there another vet in your area you could take her?
Thanks Zoey's Mom for responding to me. When she came to me she was skin and bones (literally) because her previous owner tried all kinds of dog foods to entice her to eat but she refused everything. Disgusted, she would put down kibble and if Chica didn't eat it then "Oh well." I don't think she had been eating much of anything when I got her. Her teeth are healthy so I set about finding something/anything she would eat. She is picky to the extreme and I've spent a fortune trying to find something she will eat. I've tried all the expensive "designer" dog foods sold at PetsMart and she won't touch anything. She WILL eat Mighty Dog's Porterhouse/Tenderloin Prime Cuts with the sauce washed off ~ she won't eat anything that is messy! She will eat roasted chicken I buy at Wal-Mart ~ I tried the canned chicken dog-food version and she won't touch it. She will eat Beneful IncrediBites, on occasion, when she is extremely hungry, so I leave it down all the time. (I throw away more than she eats!). She WILL eat Carl Buddig corned beef, human-cooked bacon and hamburger, and Pup-eroni bacon-flavored chews. Because I feed her chicken quite often, the vet suggested I give her baby-food vegies. She won't eat them voluntarily, but she will swallow if I spoon-feed her. BTW, she now has rounded out and is looking healthy, no more skin and bones. I'm on a fixed income, so purchasing all the different dog foods I've tried is draining me. I know she's a spoiled brat, but I have to make sure she eats something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello & welcome!

I'd definitely look into changing foods. Excessive eye watering & tear staining is caused by an allergy...9 times out of 10 due to the food the pup is eating. I'd do what was suggested and find a good quality grain free food. I personally would suggest a dehydrated raw food such as Stella & Chewy's, ZiwiPeak or the Honest Kitchen. If you want a kibble Orijen, Fromms, Acana, Taste of the Wild may be the brands to look in to. While they have a bigger "sticker price"...you don't have to feed as much of the food as you do some other foods so really it isnt more expensive.

You can check Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings for a review on different foods. Good luck...I hope you can find a resolution for Chica so her little face can be as beautiful as possible! :)
In the interest of brevity, check my response to Zoey's Mom re what I'm feeding Chica. The vet has checked her eyes for irritation, so I'm thinking it may be AZ dust allergies. Landscaping all around our home is river rock and hardly any neighbors have grass. The rocks cause my house to be dusty, dusty, dusty, and being handicapped, I don't dust or vacuum as often as I should. Do you think Benedry will help with dust allergies?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since this pup stopped the extreme watering when you used the cortisone drops that kind of indicates an irritation or allergy. Most likelly the later. Try the diet change and give it at least a couple of weeks and see if that helps. I've used the honest kitchen and stella and chewys (sp?) Sue
Please see my responses to MChis and Zoey's Mom so I don't repeat myself. Thanks for your suggestion of Honest Kitchen and Stella. I will check into them. Are they only available on-line?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi and welcome to the board! :)
Thank you for your welcome. This is difficult to be responding to posters but never being able to see the posts or my replies on the forum board. I have to keep going back to my Notification Email to even get to the responses. How long is this going to continue?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
You have 5 posts now so you are good they will show up. Immediately. Sorry for the delay.

Thank you for your welcome. This is difficult to be responding to posters but never being able to see the posts or my replies on the forum board. I have to keep going back to my Notification Email to even get to the responses. How long is this going to continue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have a Chihuahua(that's up for adoption) and she has really watery eyes, some allergy meds do help, but is she itchy and licking her groin and feet? If not than it's not allergies. Human eye drops can sometimes be too harsh, so I would suggest contacting a new vet, one that you are comfortable and happy with. I do know that in general Chis eyes are watery, but it sounds like she is in excess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts