Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was so happy to find this site because I am looking to adopt my first chihuahua. I've been reading a lot on the Internet about this breed and I cannot wait to adopt. I am married and I have three teenage boys. I am looking for a baby. I need to nurture and love a little creature and a chihuahua fits this need. My sons no longer want to cuddle and try to avoid my hugs and kisses.

I found a reputable breeder who lives down the road from me. She is expecting puppies in a month. This breeder is registered and the parents have champion lines. She told me that she does not have many litters. I cannot have a puppy until it is twelve weeks old. From what I know so far these are good signs.

What I need from you is any information you can give me about whether I should get a female or male, a smooth or long coat, and how should I introduce the puppy to my cats.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you. BLT :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
hey and welcome! where in Ohio do you live i live in Fostoria
If you dont want alot of shedding it's better to get a long coat
With our cat we just let her sniff Cujo and just watch them close

·
Registered
615 Posts
Some say that the neautered males make the best pets...but after being owned by both male and female dogs I don't think I could say one is better than the other. Sometimes the breeders do charge less for the little boys because people tend to associate females just like in our culture as being more sweet and cuddly but the boys are just as wonderful! So it is your preference, You might even want to keep your options open and just meet a litter...its the puppy's personality more than its gender that will make you fall for alittle one!

Same thing goes for long coat or short coat. Some breeders sell their long coats for more. Th elong coats a pretty low maintainence except if they got themselves into somethign horribly sticky (but unlikely) and need minimal grooming. The long coats actually shed less than the short coats.

Go slow and always supervize when introducing your new puppy to any kitties. The puppy will be very very tiny. Your cat will probably lose interest in the puppy...and mine got along fine and so has everyone else's I know.

How old is your little boy? You may want to get a 5 lb or bigger as an adult chi as the tiny ones r so fragile. Children even with the best intentions can accidnetal drop or trip over a tiny chi severely injuring or even killing it. Trust me a 5-6 lb dog is very tiny! Good luck with you chi search!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would just like to point out that while the longcoats shed less...its not a huge difference. The dogs are also small so its not all that much hair on your furniture or carpet anyway. Also, they are average shedders, not a high shed breed. I never notice any hair even on my clothes (and I am always holding my smooth coat girl!- Its my terrier chi cross that sheds like nuts!)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I think this is all to do with personal preference - look at a long and a smooth and see which you prefer the look of I have 2 long and they arent any bother they hardly shead and contary to popular belief I hardly ever have to brush them about once every 6 months lol.

As for male and females I have one of each boys are very lovey and licking you all the time where I find that girls are as equally loving byut just calmer with it - they will give you one lick and sit and be happily stroked all night where a boy every time you go by his mouth while petting he will lick you - my ozzy would lick us forever if he could lol it gets a bit annoying after a while bless him :wave:

But no no difference really their pesonality is all to do with how you raise them.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
HI & Welcome I own a smooth coat chi but I think the long coat chi is pretty I would love one of both but no such luck. I really cant say one is better than the other it all depends on the puppy & youll just know which one is for you I new mine right from the start I didnt get pick of the litter but I got the best one of the bunch. As for cats when Tader was a puppy my cat chewed on his tail one day & he still has bite marks on his tail where his fur never grew back in so watch out for playful kittens. The cat I have now is Taders best friend so it depends on the pet on how they get along. As for size my chi is 9 lbs. & hes still small the tiny chis are adorable but Id be scared of stepping on it all the time or squishing it while sleeping.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hello...Welcome :wave:

Like everyone else said, boy or girl, long or short, all personal preference. I have a wonderful little boy that loves to play and cuddles when he's had enough playing :lol: I got long coat just because I like the look of them. Which ever you choose I'm sure you will love it.... :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
:wave: Hi and welcome.

I agree with everyone else that long/short boy/girl doesn't really matter. Personality is most important. Meet the puppies and see which one claims you. :D You'll know which one you should get and so will the puppy.

If you're looking for someone to nurture, a chihuahua is the perfect choice. He'll love everyone in your house, but you'll be mommy - the center of his universe.

The only thing I would definitely emphasize is that size matters. You've got 4 men/boys running around your house. Teenage boys usually have those huge feet that they aren't real sure of yet. lol If your puppy gets stepped on, and it almost inevitably will, you want it to be 5lbs or so instead of 2lbs. Even a chihuahua that becomes huge - 10 lbs is still a very tiny dog that fits in your lap nicely.

Let us know when you pick and show some pictures of him/her. :)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Welcome :wave:

I have a 10 month old smooth coat (female) and although I've always wanted female pets I'm wanting a boy now too. I think you just have to choose on the dogs personality (like someone else said) and not the sex. I chose a smooth coat because my bf is allergic to long coated dogs or cats. But, I think both are just adorable :) Also, Lina doesn't shed hardly at all. I think it might be the food and the dog that depend on shedding. I don't know too much about that though, up until now I've only had cats that were my own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts