Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here. I have 2 greyhounds who are little dog friendly. I've always had a soft spot for Chihuahuas though and would love one as a third dog.:)

I am disabled, confined to a wheelchair and would like to know if anyone thought that a Chihuahua would be suitable for me also I if I ever get one, I would like to rescue one but don't know where to start looking, can anyone help?:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chihuahua's are IMO the best lap dogs out there. They are very loyal, very loving, Most can jump into your lap if not to small. Lucy is about four Lbs and she jumps into my lap with no problem. My wife is also disabled and has to use a wheelchair some of the time and our Little Punky loves to ride with her. So IMO a Chihuahua would make you a very good dog. With a rescue you would need to make sure that the Chi is other dog friendly they can be nippy to other dogs, and are very protective of there humans. .

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Hi and welcome.
I think a chi would be perfect for you too.
We dont get a lot of rescues here in the UK, but you could check on the kennel club website or maybe call the british chi club and ask?
Good luck in finding your wee one.
Would also love to see pics of your greyhounds. xx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes I'm sure they are my daughter uses a wheelchair at times and my girls love riding in it with her or for walks I tie their leash to it and push her along and they follow!!

All I would say is make sure you still take them for a walk is your chair electric or manual electric is way easier IMO as u can hold the leash with one hand... Manual not so easy however u can get attachments for ur chair which stick out from the wheels so they don't get caught up and u just attach their leash and off you go an amazing invention I would love one for my daughter but unfortunately she doesn't have enough strength :(

The link Chloe gave is very good contact them and have a look on the dogs trust they seem to regulary have male smooth coats or chi mixes

Good luk and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the lovely welcome messages and advice, I really do hope to one day own a chihuahua but rescue ones seem very hard to come by but I will check out that link, thank you for that too.

Are there any differences in temperament with the males and females? Any advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh we all have different bees on males and females I prefer girls they're easier to potty train and no leg lifting!! Rescues are mainly smooth coat males as I was told when I enquired. The British chihuahua club are prob the best people they will also know if any breeders are rehoming adults

Good luck in yor search and let us know how you'd o

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just love all the little Chihuahua's I've seen on here so far.:)

Terri, as requested here are a couple of pics of my two hounds Freddie & Patience, Freddie is the blue brindle and Patience is the white & black, they are both really spoilt, we love them to bits.:daisy:

Patience is a bit camera shy so its hard to get pics of her, she is an old girl you see.;)

·
Registered
813 Posts
We chose a chihuahua as a dog for me because I'm registered disabled too and have to use a wheelchair depending on health that day/week. When I've been out to the pet store etc with her in the wheelchair she loves it, she sits calmly in my lap and people go awwww hehe. I always feel self conscious in the wheelchair but when she's there i feel more confident because i know people are looking at her if that makes sense :).

When I'm well enough to walk she is also the perfect dog because she doesn't require as much walking as some bigger or different breeds, she gets tired out playing hehe.

On the temperament I think chis are PERFECT for people who are sick/disabled or tired alot, they make you feel tons better, such devoted companions, i can't say anything good enough about how it has changed my life having Bella ..i just never feel lonely anymore :). I would always choose a girl (daisydoo my Bella always lifts her leg when she pees, does a 3 leg squat ..is that what you mean).

I hope you find the right little dog for you :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hello and welcome! Your dogs are gorgeous, thanks for sharing the pics. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Are either one of your greyhounds a service dog? I have a service dog myself, chihuahuas also make good service dogs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Your dogs are gorgeous! Welcome, and I also agree that a chi would make a wonderful companion as my pup is constantly on my lap! But as the weather turns colder, she does a great job keeping me warmer! I hope you can find the perfect li'l chi companion, and then of course, we'll need more pics :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Hi and Welocme to CP

Not being bias but I too agree a Chi would make a lovely companion for you, they are not the snappy vicious dogs as people make them out to be.

As for jumping upon to your knee that won't be a problem. My little 6 month old puppy can jump onto my bed which was made to order and is slightly higher than a normal bed and it had a think duvet on it. Mind I think he was a high jumper in the sports world in a previous life as he sure can jump high.

I think it is great that you want to get one from a rescue though sorry I am of no help as to finding one that has Chihuahua's.

Your Greyhounds are beautiful, people think they need loads of exercise but I found they are happiest curled up at your feet and being loved though they do still enjoy sometime to run about.

When I was younger my ma had racing whippets.

Deme x

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I just love all the little Chihuahua's I've seen on here so far.:)

Terri, as requested here are a couple of pics of my two hounds Freddie & Patience, Freddie is the blue brindle and Patience is the white & black, they are both really spoilt, we love them to bits.:daisy:

Patience is a bit camera shy so its hard to get pics of her, she is an old girl you see.;)

Awww thanks for posting these.
They are gorgeous!
I love their faces, so sweet!!
I would spoil them too. lol xx

·
Registered
602 Posts
Chihuahua's are possibly the best companion dog ever and need minimal excersice! They would be great for you for a number of reasons!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
aww welcome to the forum. :) Your greys are lovely!! I really love them, and used to have one.
Chi's are a great pet and love to be held. I would suggest maybe an older chi to rescue, it would be more apt to want to be held and not as active. And I think it's harder for them to find homes as most want the puppies. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Welcome, your greyhounds are beautiful! Chi's make excellent lap dogs, and I know several people who have them as service dogs to help with their disabilities and they excel at it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts