Chihuahua People Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. I am the proud owner of a 5 year old chihuahua {well he will be in may} his name is Tader. hes got a few issues about him & I was wondering if its ever happened to any of your doggies He is losing the fur on his rear end{ didnt know if I could say butt} I have recently switched his food to purina one and it seems to be slowly coming back in or at least it looks like it to me. Any suggestions on why this happened? HELP

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hello :wave:
I'm not sure what could cause him to loose hair...other than what Tinker said...Charlie had dry skin and that is getting better now that I switched his food, but he didn't loose hair. I guess I'd ask a vet.

Hope Tader gets better! How did you come up with that name...it's great! :lol: Can't wait to see some pics of him...

Jessi

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
We had a dog once who would lose her hair all around her hind end due to a flea allergy. We always knew when the fleas were back, and as soon as we put Advantage on her the hair would slowly grow back. I've also seen other dogs at the vet's office with the same problem, and it was always due to fleas.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI, thanx for the tips I took Tader to the vet a couple months ago & they told me I kept him to clean!!! I had never heard of such they gave me some drops to give him twice a day. which made it "some what " clear up, but it seemed like as soon as I let him outside to play in the back yard with my other dog {shes a basset hound mix} his fur came out again which made my think he could be allergic to dirt is that INSANE to think such? I came up with the name by accident when I first got him I couldnt decide on a name so as I was thinking about it I went to the kitchen to take out some thing for dinner & a bag of tater tots fell out of the freezer which made me think what a cute name that would be. I also call him tasty muffin, tader legs, tader bud,& my 2 year old son calls him tay.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
That is a very cute name......it sounds like an allergy to me. There is so much stuff outside you could go crazy...what kind of drops did the vet give you?

WELCOME by the way :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no idae what kind of drops the vet gave me Tader was using so much medication at the time. The main reason I went to the vet was because he had a Tumor on his front leg {300.00 later its gone & so far hes doing great} he had to take pills for that, he had a ear infection, & his skin problems. But he is my baby so it was worth it although some times I want to KILL him when he tries to bite me for getting in his space {hes like a grouchy old man who didnt get fed dinner on time or something}Of course Id never really hurt him but sometimes....

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
if a parasite has been crossed out then it sounds like an allergy of some sort. first thing to do is to make sure it isn't a flea allergy: check for fleas and use frontline... then weed out a food allergy:switch to a fish and rice, venison, rabbit, or duck diet.... make sure his food is all he gets, that is so important in food allergies... meanwhile if you have to give him baths do so using oatmeal shampoo.... check with your dr. before doing anything.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
How often do you bathe your dog? Overdoing it can cause dry skin, don't take any drastic steps until you've tried the drops (sounds like derm caps or 3V) for a while and followed the doctor's orders. It doesn't sound like the hair loss was accompanied by any skin infection or excessive itchiness so dermatitis or allergy might be low on the list. Go with your vet's instinct, they know what they see =)

Flea allergy dermatitis could be a possibility, but really we're out of season for FAD, and FAD is pretty obvious to a vet, so that would be my last guess.

As far as food allergy, all truly hypoallergenic diets that were mentioned are prescription only (IVD foods, Euk Low Allergen, Hills Z/D) so you'd have to go through your vet about that.

-Nate

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx once again for your advice. My vet was pretty much useless he wanted me to get rid of Tader because I have a 2 year old son & chis are known to "HATE KIDS" under the age of 12 !! There is no way I would ever get rid of my baby I new him before he was even born I got him from my live in boyfriends dad. I have switched his food several times at first he used to eat kibbles & bits puppy then he turned a year old & ate kibbles & cheesy chews, then money got real tight & he ate either sunbelt {a winn dixie brand} or ol roy {walmart} & he was still fine but it really seemes to be something from outside every time he plays with miss Go-Go he gets it again {he is now eating purina one} Im also using hartz flea spray its the once a week treatment & you would not believe how shiny his fur is since I started using it.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Welcome Brandi! :hello2: I don't have any advice, but I hope your problem clears up soon! :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hi and welcome!
My parents male english bull terrier has an allergy to basically everything.. he looses his fur and gets blisters on his paws. They then began switching him to raw food and its cleared amazingly. They also have a steroid spray for summer as he's allergic to the grass it can flare up and that keeps it at bay too!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The purina might be a part of it too- it's no good.

I'd point toward food and environmental allergies. My chi has both. Can't have chicken, and every spring he gets itchy and miserable. He is also entirely bald on his chest, bottom, and belly year round.

It may be a grass or pollen reaction, but I'd really think it is probably food. The brands you listed made me cringe, they're very low quality and contain a TON of allergens, like grains, corn, chicken- any of those could cause hair loss.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.