Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I honestly have no idea where to even begin.
I have one longhair tri-color chihuahua, AKC, and one short-hair merle chihuahua, AKC.

I want to get them into the show ring, and I want to do some agility with the little one *merle*, he already can jump and go through some hoops.

If there is ANY useful sites, people, information you could help with, I would much appreciate it!

THANK YOU!

Here they are:

I'l post more pictures of them, when I upload them.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you want to show in agility the best thing to do would be to find a good agility class that is geared to beginners. Then take an intermediate class and then onto advanced. When I get a new student into my agility classes I usually tell them it takes from 9 months to a year to be ready to show, all depending on how much you practice outside of class.

As far as conformation showing goes I would think that a good class would also be the way to start. A good teacher can then help you find a good first show and get started. I would also consider finding a good mentor to help you decide if your pup is show quality. The first question would also be, is the dog you want to show in conformation neutered or intact?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hey...that is great that you want to get started showing!! I ordered a few books of of Amazon to start. I couldn't find anyone that wanted to teach me and actually the few people I knew that did show were really rude and unhelpful, as if they didn't want me to LOL.

Since then I have met many of the local handlers here and showing is now an absolute blast whether we win or lose b'c your friends are all their cheering you on and you're there cheering them on. Everyone makes it to the same general radius of shows, and none of us can win (or lose haha) without each other.

Here are a few books I read that helped get me hooked on showing, I would HIGHLY recommend you get at least one of them, if not both, and sit down and read thru them.

Amazon.com: Show Me!: A Dog Showing Primer (9780764138898): D. Caroline Coile Ph.D.: Books

Amazon.com: The Winning Edge: Show Ring Secrets (Howell reference books) (9780876058343): George Alston: Books

I will say...and this is a dangerous statement, and do with it what you will, because its certainly not the attitude I take, but, I would not initially bring your merle into the conformation ring (I can't tell if you want to just do agility w/ him or conformation too). Merles as I am sure you know are just such a stupidly controversial subject and no one wants to be associated with them or people that show/breed them. Many breeders that breed them don't show them. Period. After you've made some friends and people get to know you, do what you want as far as he goes ;) I just think that part of what has made showing really enjoyable for me is the comradeship and oh boy, cannot imagine what would have happened if I walked in with a merle :) Also many breeders won't sell to people that breed them.

Do you have a local kennel club? AKC's website usually has them all listed.

Austin's All Breed Kennel Club: Austin Kennel Club, Inc.
Secretary : Marianne Sue Lair
Address: 127721 Burson Dr., Manchaca, TX , 78652
Email: [email protected]
Club Type: All Breed
Club Detail: Click here

I learned all the showing stuff myself but I now have a mentor working with me to get me ready to breed.

Your little tri color has a cute little head. You should get some stacked pictures of him and compare his body to the breed standard. Tho LOL ... it all just depends on your judge that day and what they like that day haha.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, kind of easy to understand. I'll start checking things out. I have my older boy in a beginner class right now for training, but it's a class and I'd like more one on one with him.

Is there like a site I could go to to check those kinds of things out, or should i look through AKC, or just google myself crazy? LOL

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree with KittyD about the conformation ring. However, if that's what you really want to do I would start by having your dog evaluated by someone who really knows the breed before getting started in classes.

I do agility with my border collies and my chihuahua. They love it. It's lots of fun, you get to run around and they see it as a big game of play. It's not based on looks, but rather on training and ability. I've shown my dogs covered in mud in the pouring down rain and laughed the whole time.

Again, if you are interested you can find a good class, practice regularly and in about a year you can go out showing!!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I agree with KittyD about the conformation ring. However, if that's what you really want to do I would start by having your dog evaluated by someone who really knows the breed before getting started in classes.

I do agility with my border collies and my chihuahua. They love it. It's lots of fun, you get to run around and they see it as a big game of play. It's not based on looks, but rather on training and ability. I've shown my dogs covered in mud in the pouring down rain and laughed the whole time.

Again, if you are interested you can find a good class, practice regularly and in about a year you can go out showing!!
OMG we agree on something for once! :lol:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I also wanted to say...in the breed rings, you see politics come into play maybe 1/3 of the time. At least that's my experience. However, in group rings, it's ALL about the politics. I somehow got a Group 1 win this past weekend and in the Best In Show ring there was little old me and 6 very professional, very established, very well known handlers with their nationally ranked grand champions LOL. In groups (which really aren't that important IMO), if you go, and you're a nobody, you don't expect to win. Bryco took a Group 1 win, his breeder who was been breeding for 20+ years, has NEVER gotten a group 1 win. He was over the moon about B taking one. BUT ANWAY... So maybe about 25% of the time in the group rings you will get owner handlers, and less than 5% of the time do they take a Group 1 placement. But as far as your shot of making a champion out of your dog, its totally not true that its all about who you know. Most of the time the judges try to be pretty fair I think. And some days they like you, and other days you get chucked!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know all too well about the merle controversy, and was not planning on making myself look like a complete idiot with showing him in the ring. I would like just to do agility with him, he is so smart! He knows how to jump hoops, sit, lay down, roll over, do a circle on command, AND HES ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD! He is very smart.

My longhair on the other hand, is kind of *slow*, he has a beautiful conformation, and does NOT like to jump at all. He will beg me to pick him up on the couch when the other 2 have no problem jumping. But his stance, and when he lays down is almost perfect, as perfect as it could be, which is probably not so great, we'll work on that. LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also wanted to say...in the breed rings, you see politics come into play maybe 1/3 of the time. At least that's my experience. However, in group rings, it's ALL about the politics. I somehow got a Group 1 win this past weekend and in the Best In Show ring there was little old me and 6 very professional, very established, very well known handlers with their nationally ranked grand champions LOL. In groups (which really aren't that important IMO), if you go, and you're a nobody, you don't expect to win. Bryco took a Group 1 win, his breeder who was been breeding for 20+ years, has NEVER gotten a group 1 win. He was over the moon about B taking one. BUT ANWAY... So maybe about 25% of the time in the group rings you will get owner handlers, and less than 5% of the time do they take a Group 1 placement. But as far as your shot of making a champion out of your dog, its totally not true that its all about who you know. Most of the time the judges try to be pretty fair I think. And some days they like you, and other days you get chucked!
This is the kind of stuff I want to know, the juicy stuff I want to know exactly what Im getting into.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think the most political places to show are on either coast...in the middle of the US its less politcal. Some people out east could walk into the ring with a piece of poop on a leash and take Best of Breed. LOL.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
For conformation you want a lead that matches the dog...I don't know anything about agility tho. Bryco uses a white lead ha ha. You definitely want to get him used to being on a show lead if he's not already.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts