Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any dog I have had in the past I have got spayed. But for some reason every time I go to get ninja spayed something happens that stops it. Like when she broke her leg. Then her eyes. Now she has a cold. I had a bullmastiff and she was spayed. Then years ago I had a chitzu and we had er spayed. But for some reason something is telling me not to do it. I look at alot of things on the Internet that people have lost there chi's through getting them spayed. And it's made me have a whole new look on things. I read a report that said in the wild dogs where left to be and they should not be spayed just because a little blood is a inconvenience to us. Yes it could cause cancer but humans don't go taking the bits out to stop cancer unless they really have to. I just don't see why I should put such a tiny dog through all that. At the end of the day I just can't put er through it does that make me a bad person

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well, ultimately you have to do the research yourself and do what is best foryou and Ninja.

I know how you feel. I take Eden on Friday for hers and although she will be 9 months old the next day she is just 2 pounds 15 ounces.

I chose to have all 3 girls done for the hormonal exposure that you mention as well as breeding. While ours girls are indoors 99% of their time, I could not risk her getting pregnant. That would likely kill her as delicate as her frame is. If she were to ever get lost or stolen surely someone would think how cute and fun it would be to breed her and the thought of that is too much for me because I know what would happen to her.

I am fortunate that our vet uses gas anesthesia for our little ones so she is not receiving the anesthesia through IV is not groggy all day and the control of what she receives is much better. I do not know if you have that option.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Yes it could cause cancer but humans don't go taking the bits out to stop cancer unless they really have to.
I beg to differ there.... *IF* I could take my 'bits' out to prevent Cancer, I certainly would... Have you ever had Cancer???? I have had it twice..... and living without my 'bits' and the worry would be wonderful if I could only live without the 'bits'.....anyway, sorry for the Rant...

Chico is Neutered, he is the first Chi I have had done and wish I had the others done now.... he is such a different dog than my other Chis... more settled... but confident....I was never afraid of losing him when I had the Operation for him...

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
it is very worrying i remember when i had my first chi spayed....Pyometra is a big risk for unspayed bitches and can be fatal so that is worth considering... but yes any anaesthetic carries a risk but i would still have any bitch i wasnt showing spayed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If your happy not to have her done. Don't do it. Go with your gut instinct. Anyone with a male will tell you that there usually up and about in no time Mine are anyway. But it's a different thing with a bitch. If you've no entire dogs and don't have dogs coming and going I'd leave her. X

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you don't feel 100% confident in getting her spayed, then don't get her spayed. It's your decision. I don't have Rocky neutered as I don't want to risk him having an anaesthetic and a surgery. Also there is no reason for me why I should have him neutered. I am in another Chihuahua forum and hardly any of the bitches there are spayed and none of them had any problems (there are unspayed Chihuahua bitches in all ages).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just wanted to add to my earlier post that my shih bitches are not spayed. And only once many years ago did I spay a bitch. I also (touching wood) have never experienced any probs with any unspeyed bitchs other than the norm as with any spayed or not. Nor any unplanned litters. Good luck with what ever you decide x

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I had my two year old cat spay and she died she was very healthy. So I am nervous to take Amberleah, but she has the extra genital problem still waiting for U of M to call..
If you feel this way I would listen to your instincts.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I am scared to get Bijoux spayed but I am getting her doen for two key reasons

1) I have a male GR he's fixed but i won't put him through it
2) Heaven forbid she ever gets stolen, I don't want her to become a byb breeders dream as I know she would be.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I no getting her spayed is the right thing to do but I just can't come to terms of looseing her. I fell sick every time I think about it just don't want to put her through it maybe when she gets bigger. But she is such a small chi. He weighs 2 at the min and she is 7 months old I just got a gut instinct that something is going to go wrong

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Thanks guys I no getting her spayed is the right thing to do but I just can't come to terms of looseing her. I fell sick every time I think about it just don't want to put her through it maybe when she gets bigger. But she is such a small chi. He weighs 2 at the min and she is 7 months old I just got a gut instinct that something is going to go wrong
Could you wait another month or so? Maybe if she was a little older, you would be more comfortable with it. Don't you have an intact male though? Or maybe I am thinking of someone else.

I would go through with getting her spayed, if it were me. I was at the animal shelter/low cost clinic yesterday buying flea meds, and an animal control officer was telling me that small dogs are often stolen in our area because they are cute and easy to grab. It would worry me to have an intact dog, as someone could see it as a money making opportunity and snatch them. That said, it is your decision in the end so do what is best for you.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Sam, I need to appoligize for my little rant in a previous post....... wasnt' feeling well and posted crap I shouldnt have......

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Go with your gut instinct, as long as you are comfortable ensuring she can't get pregnant. It's not impossible, after all show dogs have to stay intact and it's not that hard to keep dogs separate with a little diligence.
That said, IMO, I think the worries of pyometra, mammary tumors, not to mention the "value" to a theiving BYB; outweigh the risks of anesthesia. I think it's just about finding a vet you trust. There's a few clinics around me that I consider shaaaaady... I wouldn't let them touch my dogs with a knife, no way no how. But there are others who are very up to date on modern veterinary medicine and go above and beyond the precautions that most vets would do for surgery.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I am going to wait. As I have 2 girls and there is no way on this planet am I breeding them so there are no chance of accidents. People can't steel them from me as I live in a first floor flat that is alarmed and I am with them when I go out. I just can't put her trough it I can't. Like someone said when she gets bigger maybe I might change my mind. Thanks everyone for your support. Just something tells me not to do it

·
Registered
787 Posts
As long as you are willing to be a responsible owner, whether or not you spay is up to you. I find, too, that from country to country, the cultural opinion on whether or not dogs should be altered varies greatly. In the US, it's simply what is done, and if you don't speuter, you're considered left of normal. In other countries, it's the exact opposite.

I will say, with the chihuahuas, and most small breeds, at some point you may likely find that she will need to go under anesthetic for a dental cleaning. Perhaps then, if it's something you'd like to do, you can spay her as well.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I think I am going to wait. As I have 2 girls and there is no way on this planet am I breeding them so there are no chance of accidents. People can't steel them from me as I live in a first floor flat that is alarmed and I am with them when I go out. I just can't put her trough it I can't. Like someone said when she gets bigger maybe I might change my mind. Thanks everyone for your support. Just something tells me not to do it
I think that you are doing what is right for you then. Perhaps after she has her heat you will second guess and decide to do it, or maybe it won't be a big deal and something you can handle.

I would just read up on the signs for pyometra and other reproductive diseases that could occur just so you know the signs should the worst *knock on wood* happen.

She's your dog, and as long as you are responsible about the fact that she isn't fixed then your golden :) I'm just glad to you aren't doing this because "it will make your dog fat" or "I want her to experience being a mom" lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
i cant bring myself to have my 3 girls done either, unless somthing happens that they have to go (god forbid) then il get them done

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
To answer the question you asked, no, I don't think it make you a "bad person." It's your animal and your decision--bottom line. You have to do what you think is right--just as we all do. (FWIW, all three of mine are spayed/neutered--but that was my decision.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts