Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you prob know that Glyn has a bald head and very little coat where he is blue all the White which is on his legs and chest is longhair he has a White tuft also on the tip of his tail. The vet explained that because he's blue he has Alopecia the lady sold him to me as a chi. But she told me he'd had a food allergy and his coat was growing back it was only wen I took him to vet the same day as he was very poorly that I even heard of a blue chi I new he had a longer nose but I thought he was a so called deer head. Anyway I've been speaking to a lady who has been breeding beautiful top class chi's for 16 yrs. She's very well respected and I trust all her advice. And she thinks glyns highly likely to be crossed with a crested. Well so many people have asked me oh is he one of them hairless dogs and I've been saying no he's a chi with Alopecia. I'm not bothered at all as he's loved so much. And now at least I know what he is. I've had a look and he's the same colour as them cresteds. my little beauty is even more unique now xxxx

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well, he totally could be! I will say that Cresties tend to have a different hair pattern than your Glyn. Hairless Chinese Crested tend to have areas of their body that grow fur, regardless of what color grows there (paws, top of the head and face, tail, some fur on the back, depending on coat pattern). It looks more like Glyn only has thick fur on the places where his coat is not blue which lines up more with alopecia than with a Crestie parent. But... he could also be a Crestie mix with alopecia!

Really, whatever he is, I think he is one of the most adorable dogs I've seen. I love his little naked self!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm shocked by it all. Your right about his hair it's just a very fine covering where is blue. and his head is bald Apart from that White stripe you can see. He's 9 ins tall and 7lb 4 Would that fit in size wise x

·
Registered
787 Posts
Size-wise, he certainly falls into the smaller end of Crestie sizes. I think they average around 10-12 lbs or so, but some are as small as four or five lbs and some are upwards of 20! Like every breed, there's a bigger range of traits within the breed than what you see in the show ring.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I personally would tend to agree with alopecia as well because of the pattern but who knows?! I do agree Glyn is one of the cutest little things! Very unique & sweet looking. And even with the missing fur...he looks to have very healthy skin & coat (that he does have hehe). :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
As a crestie owner, I'd have to lean toward the Alopecia possibility as well. I only have puffs now, but the HL pattern is not like what you're describing. It's not IMPOSSIBLE though; but what I would suggest is doing one of those breed DNA tests to get a better idea. HL cresteds also tend to have dentition problems; a theorized link of some sort to the same gene that does not hold the 'hair' in; also does the same to the teeth.
Weird random fact to know: It is acceptable by the AKC standard for a HL crested to have poor dentition or missing teeth. It is NOT accepted in the powderpuff variety.
Yeah Imma nerd. But I love the naked doggies! =D

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I agree with the Alopecia as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts