Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is less than thrilled with my baby Paco. In his opinion a dog must weigh in at 100 lbs. Anyway.... my husband often eats on the couch as he watches TV. Paco keeps trying to sit with him while he eats. Needless to say, it has created conflict.

I listened to some dog training CD's and one of the things he suggested was having a place for a bed that the dog must go to on command. Today I bought Paco a bed. After about 20 times of telling him to get in his bed and giving him a treat - he got it!!!

Tonight I surprised my husband. He sat down to eat and I told Paco to get in his bed AND HE DID!!!!

I'm so proud of him.

(And I think he is winning my husband over!! LOL)

· Registered
1,188 Posts
For some reason men have a problem with showing their softer side. I have 7 older brothers and all have BIG dogs.... BUT.... when the doors are closed and no one is around, they cuddle and sweet talk my little half pint chihuahuas, however, they will die before owning up to it in front of anyone else.
It makes me laugh when i think about it. Your hubby will come around, if he hasnt already. It will forever be his own little secret ;)

· Banned
10,736 Posts
You should be proud! You taught Paco a command using positive reinforcement
and you showed to hubby that little dogs are smart too! Good for you, I hope
you keep up the training, it'll keep hubby impressed and Paco stimulated. :)

· Banned
10,736 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He really likes learning new things. I have taught him sit, down, stay, crawl, roll over, twirl, dance, come and now... go to your bed. Oh, and he will jump through a hoop on command too. Isn't he awesome. He really likes learning new things. He gets so excited when I get out the dish of treats. He knows we are going to do tricks. He is also doing well with potty training. The weather is warm - finally - so we are going outside. He occasionally asks to go out but I take him every couple of hours. He has only gone in the house once in the last three days.

· Banned
10,736 Posts
Very impressive Suzn! Congrats on your accomplishments, that's wonderful.
Most importantly it creates a great bond between you and Paco. I'm happy
to hear what a good boy he is and that you are happy with him. :)

· Registered
1,533 Posts
I've found my Chi's very easy to train (my last dog was a JRT and training him was nearly impossible) so I'm not surprised Paco has picked things up so easily.

I guess i'm lucky my hubby loves little dogs. He doesn't even bat an eyelid at walking Chloe down the street in her hot pink harness and leash!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.