Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..just venting...and maybe looking for some tips/advice.
When I got Flea, my 2 year old chi @ the end of August....she was not housebroken. Within a week - she was a champ on the puppy pads in the house. And shortly after that - never had an accident.

I bought a litterbox - and put the puppy pad inside. She has been not super keen on using it...but with some encouragement, she's using it now about 75% of the time. I really want her to use the box b/c it is self-contained and sturdy -and I would like to add litter, eventually to reduce the odour. It's just that now, she's having accidents inside the house again! I think she KNOWS where she should go - but she doesn't like it! So, I am back to basic housetraining again...but i am so frustrated.

This morning, I blocked her off in the kitchen w/ her breakfast/bed and litterbox...and decided I'd keep her there til she went to the bathroom. Well, she went poop eventually and didn't pee. So, I let her out and minutes later - she peed in the hallway.

Add to this, the fact that I am looking after my bf - who had knee surgery last week, is pretty much imobile and in a great deal of pain.

I think I am mostly venting here - but I am so tired! Any advice on the re-housebreaking thing? I am thinking I might have to leash her to me when we are in the house for a while, right?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
It might be that she feels unsteady getting into the box to pee/poo, rather than just walking onto the pad?

·
Registered
450 Posts
The litterbox may frighten her... have you tryed bringing her near it without a pad in it just for her to investigate? Does she pin her ears back and shy away from it? I know Chiquita can be spooked by some silly things, even a cell phone, you bring it near her, and she will run!

·
Registered
549 Posts
You are frustrated and without any help-the bf being down. Flea may well be feeling the same right now. You probably don't have as much time with her, spending more time nursing than cuddling. I would start back with the pee pad-put the litter box with litter in it-right beside the pee pad and let her choose. Keep it that way for a while and see what happens. If you are not so tense she may just start using the box on her own. That is what I did with my puppies and they are using the litter box entirely now without the aid of a pee pad.
Good luck, hope the bf is back on his feet in a short while. :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Have you cut a hole in the litter box for easy access, (sorry not sure of you have a cat one or the dog type)

Brighter days are ahead for sure... :wave:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys..i might try that litter vs pad idea.....but first will see if the not letting her out of my sight thing works again. SIGH. And here's the other thing...the bf is immobile..she is terrified of his crutches and he can't even touch her (she never let him pick her up before...but NOW, it's extra crazy!). She's a fearful little girl --not her fault..it's the money-hungry backyard breeder who didn't bother to socialize her as a baby. I am so frustrated - but thanks for the well wishes, all - and any advice is great!

BTW, Flea isn't afraid of the litterbox....she went in it the first day...she just chooses not to use it (it's the 2nd nature purina one for dogs).

PHEW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts