Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I work nights, so I leave at 6pm and get home about 8am. My boyfriend works a normal 8-5 job, so Chloe rarely has to stay home over a few hours of we leave to go do something. Next week I am switching to day shift! So, I'll leave at 6am and get back at 8pm. I am soooo excited to sleep at night like people were made to do. The only thing is Chloe will now need to stay by herself all day. I only work 3 days a week, so at least it isn't every day. I'm thinking about getting her a kong while I'm gone. Is there anything else that would be good to get her for while I'm gone?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
As long as she isn't locked in a crate all day, I think she will be fine! Leave her a toy to play with and something to chew, and some water and a potty pad. I like to fill my dogs' Kong toys with canned food and freeze it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as she isn't locked in a crate all day, I think she will be fine! Leave her a toy to play with and something to chew, and some water and a potty pad. I like to fill my dogs' Kong toys with canned food and freeze it.
Thanks! We don't do crate training around here. Chloe has free run of the apartment with all of the bedroom and bathroom doors closed. She's only stay by herself for that long once and she did great, but I just feel a little guilty!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The secret is to leave her tired. So make sure she has a good walk and play to wear her out before you leave, then she will just chill out and sleep while you are gone.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The secret is to leave her tired. So make sure she has a good walk and play to wear her out before you leave, then she will just chill out and sleep while you are gone.
The only problem is that I have to get up at 5am as it is, and it's still dark outside. My boyfriend doesn't let me walk Chloe in the dark by myself. And I don't really feel comfortable with it either even though where I live is safe you never know. My boyfriend gets up later than me so hopefully he can play with her and walk her.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I say get her a playmate. Hahaha! Seriously, I'm sure she'll be fine. With toys and a kong, she'll just play and sleep until you get home.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I say get her a playmate. Hahaha!
I was going to say the same thing!

Mine are home alone from 8 till 5 mon-fri and as long as they have toys and things to chew they are fine. I either walk them or in winter play a full on game of fetch where I keep them running and jumping and wrestling for at least 15 mins to tire them out.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Lots of people have to leave their dogs for a full work day. As long as she is exercised (even if her big walk/playtime is when you get home give her a little attention before you leave in the morning) and has a place to go to the bathroom she will be fine. Leave her a kong and any other safe toys and be ready to give her lots of love when you get home!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think I could handle potty training again this soon! I like having a fully potty trained one. I think she will be fine because my boyfriend works less hours per day than I do. He leaves at 8 and gets home at 6. And I'm only gone 3 days a week. I just feel bad because she's so used to someone being there. I will try lots of different chews to see what she likes and keep her entertained.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
She will be fine. It's only 3 days a week, too. If your boyfriend can walk her before he leaves for work, that would be perfect. Then just leave her with her kong, some toys, and maybe a bully stick and I'm sure she'll just sleep most of the afternoon. I always leave the TV on for Gemma when we go out. If you have Animal Planet, that's a good channel to leave on. We don't have it because standard Swedish television sucks, lol, but I always used to leave Animal Planet on in the U.S. for our dogs. They liked watching and hearing other dogs and animals.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The only problem is that I have to get up at 5am as it is, and it's still dark outside. My boyfriend doesn't let me walk Chloe in the dark by myself. And I don't really feel comfortable with it either even though where I live is safe you never know. My boyfriend gets up later than me so hopefully he can play with her and walk her.
Also where ever possible try and take her for a monster walk the day before your shift. I find that if I take mine out for a really good walk of a couple of hours then they are more inclined to just want to chill and snooze on the following day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts