Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 4 this morning I heard some unusual noises in the living room where Paco sleeps. When I came in to see what was wrong he was staggering around and couldn't stand up or walk. He had peed on the floor which he never does anymore. He acted dazed. I gave him some honey (1/4 tsp or so) which he licked up.He seemed to be more awake after that. I gave him about 1cc of water every half hour by dropper. Most of the time he licked it up but sometimes it just ran off his mouth and he didn't seem to notice. The vet can see him at 11:30. It is 10:15 now. He keeps trying to walk but his legs just fold under him.

He didn't eat or drink anything different yesterday - well, he eats bugs and grass every chance he gets - but I mean I didn't change anything. He didn't fall or get hurt that I know of. I just can't imagine what is wrong.

Until last night he was happy, healthy, and playful. Do you think he could have had a stroke or something? I am so worried. I am just holding him and rocking him. I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh no! So sorry you are going through this. How scary. It sounds like a seizure. Hang in there and keep us posted. Thinking of you.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
It sounds like a seizure. I truly hope it was just something he ingested or another temporary reaction. I had a dog with epilepsy. No fun. Thinking of you and Paco. Let us know what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vet said it sounded like a seizure, too. He was better when we were there but he is very unsteady on his feet. For now I am going to give him smaller, more frequent meals to try to keep his blood sugar level. She said a drop in sugar could cause the seizure.

Any advice from you veterans? I am so upset. Will he be able to have a normal life? Will this shorten his life?

She told me to keep him in his kennel today so he doesn't hurt himself. He tries to jump up or jump from one couch to the other like he normally can and doesn't realize he can't do it.

She told me to keep records of when this happens and that will help her decide what we have to do for him long term.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm sorry you have to go through this. I don't have any advice for you since I've never experienced something like this, but I hope Paco gets back to his old self soon and hopefully this won't happen again to him.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Bella, Lina, and I send get well wishes to Paco. We understand your concern and worries about Paco.

My late chihuahua suffered seizures during the last 8 months of her life. She also had congestive heart failure and was taking Lasix. Our vet couldn't do anything for her seizures due to our chi's old age and congestive heart failure. So I did research on the Internet for holistic help. We gave her NZYMES® Antioxidant Treats (enzymes) and NZYMES® Ox-E-Drops, which helped in treating the severity and frequency of her seizures (NZYMES website is below). She had a good quality of life until she passed away at age 15.

As soon as Paco can safely swallow, consider giving him 1 teaspoon of Breyers vanilla ice cream (as it has no preservatives and is all natural). The vanilla ice cream helps to raise the blood sugar level and could stop or slow the pacing and possibly prevent more seizures. Ice cream that is fat holds the sugar in suspension so that the sugar doesn’t hit Paco's system all at once and cause a rebound reaction. We gave our late chi one teaspoon of Breyers vanilla ice cream after her seizures - it really helped her. Please keep us updated on Paco.

Here are some websites on canine seizures:

Seizures or Epilepsy in Dogs - Cats - Pets | Nzymes.com

Holistic Treatments for Epilepsy in Dogs | The Bark

What to do After Your Dog has an epileptic Seizure

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you so much, BellaLina'sMom. I will go read those links right now. I just feel awful. I have been so careful with what he eats so he will be healthy and live a long time. I feel better knowing I can do SOMETHING to help him. I gave him honey last night but I knew that some people have said that might not be the best thing but I was desperate. I just want him to be happy! It was pitiful seeing him not able to stand or walk and keep trying. Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What does Paco weigh? Hypoglycemia drops that cause seizures seem to be found in the very tiny chi's, like 3 pounds and under. If he's bigger than that, then I would think you are looking at some kind of epilepsy, not hypoglycemia.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I watched Finn and Clover separately have mild seizures. Of course I was by their side, talking gently, and they seemed to recover on their own. I honestly don't even know if they have seizures while I'm gone--they probably do. it is so scary but they seem to be okay afterwards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.