Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering who's advice I should consider...Odie see's his regular vet most of the time but on occassion there is a female vet filling in for him,she seems very nice and was the vet to give Odie his rabies shot.
I asked my regular vet how old should Odie be before I have him neutured and he said 6 months.I also asked the other vet and she recommended I wait til about 9 months.
He needs to also have 2 rear dewclaws removed as they are just hanging there and has a good chance of catching them in carpet or bedding etc. and possible removal of some baby teeth.

Odie is now 6 months old and weighs 3.8 pounds
What do you think??

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Neuter him now, trusttttt me. You do NOT want his wee little hormones to kick into full drive. On the one hand, there are definite benefits...he will get a more muscular adult structure and possibly even stay smaller if you neuter later. But dealing w/ them and their little balls is quite not fun haha, mine pees on everything in my house.

BUT, someone here kept a male intact for quite some time and I think neutered him at 10 or so months, and it stopped the marking. But before that it was really annoying for her. My vote personally would be neuter now, but there ARE benefits to letting the hormones do their thing for a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I had Chico neutered at 5 months.... I didn't want *ANY* testosterone in his body... I also had 2 dew claws removed at the same time.... he had really good drugs afterwards and slept for a couple of days... then he was fine...
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/jan896/Chico Pics/0001-1.jpg
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/jan896/Chico Pics/0002-1.jpg
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/jan896/Chico Pics/0003-1.jpg

BTW, Chico does NOT mark in the house.... and squats like a little girl doggie.... :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
If you get them neutered to early, they can dribble. I personally would wait til 9 months. This may have been suggested by the vet because of his size and the fact he is/has just been vaccinated. 6 months is the suggested time to fix them, but maybe you can ask that vet why she recommended you neuter him at 9 months.

·
Registered
912 Posts
On the one hand, there are definite benefits...he will get a more muscular adult structure and possibly even stay smaller if you neuter later.
I've not heard that before. That's very interesting. I understand them having a more muscular adult structure because of the amount of testosterone, but do you know why they would stay smaller? Do you know of any other benefits of neutering later like this? :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Hmmm i am in the same boat really.
My own vet likes to wait till they are around 8 months , even longer sometimes.
He is now retired, (well works on a Saturday for now( and the vets that have taken over say i can do it at 6 months.
Which isnt long now really.

Interesting about the body and size thing though.
I do want to make sure he doesnt mark, and am kinda also hoping he will calm a little too after his neuter. lol
I will of course love him just the same if it makes no difference.

I think it's really up to you.
I normally would agree with everything my own vet said, but i feel the longer i wait, the more chance of marking and maybe even more craziness. haha!!
A lot of vets want them to get more bravado first, that was how mine put it. lol

I may wait till January just to get xmas by with etc...but prob wont wait much longer to be honest.

Good luck whatever you decide. x

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've not heard that before. That's very interesting. I understand them having a more muscular adult structure because of the amount of testosterone, but do you know why they would stay smaller? Do you know of any other benefits of neutering later like this? :)
I don't know the exact science behind it, but neutering too early can remove the correct information from some of the growth hormones, sometimes resulting in delayed closure if growth plates. This results in a taller dog (mind you are are talking minimally) because those growth plates took longer to close, and less muscular to compound the lanky look, as a result of less testosterone. Really this is the only argument I've seen for neutering later.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well Odie has been on a humping spree the last little while,,,my poor lab and kitty,ohh and my arm.The lil bugger will get you any chance he has.I put the poor kitty in the porch sometimes when he is on the prowl.

He has not lifted his leg yet to pee or mark thank goodness.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
One benefit in waiting is they're older & stronger. They're also close to being fully developed where at 6 months, some chis might be late bloomers in which complications could occur. But complications can occur with any type of surgery.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yep Dillon is pestering the girls a lot, they have both been spayed.
I think it is manly a dominance thing though at this early age.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't know the exact science behind it, but neutering too early can remove the correct information from some of the growth hormones, sometimes resulting in delayed closure if growth plates. This results in a taller dog (mind you are are talking minimally) because those growth plates took longer to close, and less muscular to compound the lanky look, as a result of less testosterone. Really this is the only argument I've seen for neutering later.
Thanks for the reply! I always learn interesting tid-bits from you! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts