Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! When I got Dexter, his breeder had been feeding him Diamond small breed puppy food with no apparent problems, but I switched him over to By Nature Organics (same as my other two dogs, 3 & 5) because of the quality of food despite it not being a "puppy specific" kibble. There is a feeding guide on the bag for puppies, however.
My dilemma occurred when I began having problems with a newer bag of By Nature Organics and had to figure out something else to begin feeding my adults. I found another great Organix line of kibble from Castor & Pollux. Luckily the adults looooove the food and have had no trouble switching, but I'm holding off on changing Dexter because there is no "puppy feeding guide" suggested with this brand of kibble.
So after some background... my question is this:
What is the importance of "puppy" food? What is so special and makes it different that it is suggested for the first year or so of life? I have no objections to following the "rules", but would just like to be educated as to the benefits! Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.
Also, how old were your pups when you started feeding adult kibble?

Would love to feed raw and eliminate all of these crazy what-if's and worries, but not an option unfortunately... Maybe soon!:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Puppy food usually has DHA for brain development, and higher protein and fat for growing bodies. I switched mine to adult food at about 1 year of age. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
My 5.5 month old was just switched from puppy kibble to dehydrated raw along with my year and a half olds.

Sorry I'm no help, but I'll help bump the thread up :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know it has a much higher protein percentage than adult food and you`ll notice other ingredients with higher percentages in puppy food than adult food, puppies need more of certain ingredients than adults for growth. Not to mention the smaller sized kibbles for little mouths!
I would definately always feed puppy food till they are a year old!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts