Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BonBon has excitment/fearful urination and she has been accidentally squirting pee in the house after I let her out. I've been teaching her "leave it" which seems to help a little bit. Do you have other impulse control games I could try with her? :confused:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi and welcome i have no answer for you just wanted to say bon bon is a cute chih is he all white very pretty

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would do confidence building with her. Teach her skills like basic obedience and agility that she can do and do well. Give her the chance to be a "good girl". This will help with the fearfulness.

Keeping praise and such nice and calm can help with the excitement. For example, when you get home don't immediately greet her, don't raise your voice to a higher pitch. Ignore her if she's jumping around in excitement and don't greet her until she has calmed down. When you do greet her go down to her level, don't bend over her (this can increase the fearful urination), and greet her calmly.

If she urinates either in fear or excitement don't make a big deal out of it. Just clean it up and go about your business.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never greet the dogs when I come home. I keep them in their crates and ignore the barking until all is calm before I let them out. ;)

She did jump a lot on everyone when she first came home, she also demanded to sit on laps so we worked on "nothing in life is free" training.
Thanks for reminding me about the bending over her, I keep forgetting about my own body language. :) And with the pee thing it's hard to not get frustrated sometimes, I try to keep calm. :(

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track! It is really hard to be calm when they've peed on the floor for the 100th time! Been there... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts