Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided since I took the day off from work to get my application in for FAFSA and apply to our university here.

I'm tired of working a dead end job and not getting anywhere because of it, we had been holding off and going 1 at a time my OH first then myself so we didn't create debt, but I recently found out how much I was eligible for in financial aide and it will just about pay for school entirely so I figured jump in!

It feels really good. I haven't done much with myself lately, and it's really wearing on me.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Good for you! Thats really exciting. Will you be starting in the fall?
The aids and grants have really gone up in the past year, my grant covers almost all of my tuition now. I was going to look for somewhere cheaper to go to grad school but decided to stay at KU because its suddenly really affordable.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for you! Thats really exciting. Will you be starting in the fall?
The aids and grants have really gone up in the past year, my grant covers almost all of my tuition now. I was going to look for somewhere cheaper to go to grad school but decided to stay at KU because its suddenly really affordable.
Yeah, I applied for the fall semester. When I did my fafsa it said I was eligible for 5,550 which if everything goes according to plan that would cover the school year for me :D

Congratulations! I can't wait to move next year so I can go to school. Good luck with everything!
Thank you very much :] I've been waiting a long time. I graduated early and went right to work to help support my OH and I while he finished his degree, and now that he's decided he wants to go to Medical School, i'm not going to wait another four years i'll at least pick off classes while he's doing that so I can get a better CAREER!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Congrats....I guess?.
I have a college education and work dead end jobs anyhow. Only because the choices became being unemployed or working lower paid jobs.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Good for you Amanda!! I'm happy for you!

These are tough times and a degree will help out immensely. My youngest is working an internship in her field UNPAID and putting in long hours but she is gaining experience and these days, you have gotta be able to set yourself apart from all the other applicants.

I'm glad you are taking the plunge!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
WTG! How exciting! :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats....I guess?.
I have a college education and work dead end jobs anyhow. Only because the choices became being unemployed or working lower paid jobs.
I'm not trying to single you out, but I've noticed a theme of negativity through most of your replies in general. You could have passed over my thread if you were going to respond that way and i'd have appreciated it just the same.

Dead end job is just a label for me, and at this current point in time it defines my job, j-o-b not career. I understand how hard it is being laid off, and having hardships - the only reason i'm qualified for school loans is because i'm an only child of a single parent who didn't make it past middle school and i'm certainly going to take advantage of it.

Good for you Amanda!! I'm happy for you!

These are tough times and a degree will help out immensely. My youngest is working an internship in her field UNPAID and putting in long hours but she is gaining experience and these days, you have gotta be able to set yourself apart from all the other applicants.

I'm glad you are taking the plunge!
Thank you Tracy, I appreciate the encouragement.

I understand how hard the market is right now and I hope your daughter gets past it, but surprisingly this area of Texas is still flourishing and my biggest downfall is that i'm looked at as no experience, no college etc. I went right to work at 17 and even though i've been completely loyal and haven't job hopped i'm not too impressive on paper as i've gone the furthest I can go at my job, so if I can at least add to my credentials it'll move me up the chain a little bit more than where I am now.

I also intend to study medicine, which in this area is phenomenal as far as growth goes, we just got a brand new hospital some, 50 million dollar project. It's absolutely beautiful to see, and they also offer dual enrollment for some course subjects with the university so hopefully i'll be able to get some on hand experience.

·
Registered
809 Posts
That is excellent! When I got divorced 2 years ago I suddenly realized how badly I needed a career, not just a job. I loved my job but it just didn't pay enough, no room for advancement and not in high demand. I took the plunge, applied for Physician Assistant graduate school to get my Masters Degree and I'm now almost 2 quarters done! I can't work while in school (we go to school 8 - 8 some days) so I'm taking out loans for both school and to live and pay rent and such but it is going to be so worth it in the end.

It may not be easy for you and your OH but you can do it and you'll be so glad you did!

If I may ask, what are you going for in school?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is excellent! When I got divorced 2 years ago I suddenly realized how badly I needed a career, not just a job. I loved my job but it just didn't pay enough, no room for advancement and not in high demand. I took the plunge, applied for Physician Assistant graduate school to get my Masters Degree and I'm now almost 2 quarters done! I can't work while in school (we go to school 8 - 8 some days) so I'm taking out loans for both school and to live and pay rent and such but it is going to be so worth it in the end.

It may not be easy for you and your OH but you can do it and you'll be so glad you did!

If I may ask, what are you going for in school?
I actually want to pursue anesthesiology.

What did you do before?

It will be tough for certain, my OH is applying for medical school this year as well so it'll definitely take work, but you're right it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I actually want to pursue anesthesiology.

What did you do before?

It will be tough for certain, my OH is applying for medical school this year as well so it'll definitely take work, but you're right it'll be worth it.
So proud of you for following your dreams!! We will be your cheerleaders. Hang in there, all the hard work will be worth it in the end. :hello1:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Woo! That is a great career. Not easy but I bet you'll do great. Are you getting your pre-reqs in now?

I was a vet tech before. I truly did love it but I needed more.

We are all happy to support and cheer for you!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yayy!

I was accepted to the university yesterday :D

They haven't received all my fafsa information yet but i'm supposed to be getting it in the mail soon :]

Hooray!

Also i'll add, my OH isn't overjoyed by this, I think he realizes if i'm working and going to school too he isn't going to be able to use that excuse all the time when it comes to house chores because I refuse to live in a pig-sty! Poor baby ;)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yay!!!!

So what are you going to register for?

Very exciting!
I want to enroll in their pre-medicine program, it actually has a 95% acceptance rate into med school, but I also don't want a pre med major in case medical school didn't work out, I wouldn't have as many avenues.

I put General Studies/Arts and Science as my two choices, i'm sure we'll make a decision when I get registered!

congratulations :) thats brill news x

Thank you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts