Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know I shouldn't be worried since he's only 2 months old but....well Raz is really really starting to nip at people.

We have been stern with telling him no when he starts to nip but he keeps at it. He even gets really really aggressive with his toys....or the ones he hasn't hidden on us.

But it's the nipping that is really got me worried....I know I know he's teetheing now.

Is this much nipping normal when he is teetheing?

I mean it's like he thinks your hand, hair, face, etc. is a toy and he's not listening when we say NO! I even tried my father's little method of saying no....tapping him on his little nose since his mouth is to small to shove your hand in it or your finger actually.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO HANDLE HIS TEETHEING/NIPPING!

Big dog methods don't work and I'm out of ideas on how to resize those ideas to fit my puppy.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
This was just my experience now so take it for what you want. W/ Mikey I did the little tap on his nose too when he would bite or growl and it started to tick him off worse. He would try to bite us so I had to quickly stop doing that one.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Poppy started nipping everyone too nad sometimes to the point of it hurting, especially the kids. I read up on it and tried this method and it has worked for us, she stopped nipping after a couple of days;

When pups are still with their Mom and litter mates, they play and bite each other. Sometimes, if the biting gets too much, one of the pups will yelp in pain and this is their way of saying "Ouch"! The Mom dog will sometimes give the offender a little shake at the back of his neck, to warn him that this is not good behaviour.
When Poppy started to nip us, we were told to cry out "Ouch!" in a loud voice and put her on the floor and ignore her. The crying out will alert her to the fact that something is wrong. Then we ignored her for 5 minutes, didnt even look at her. she would beg to climb up on us and play, but we ignored her. After 5 minutes, she was allowed to play again, but as soon as nipped...we cryed out and ignored her again.
Poppy soon got to associate the "ouch" with being ignored...and she didnt like it! SO if occaisionally she still nips, we do this trick and it works.
It is hard to ignore them! But they have to learn that nipping will result in being ignored...also, dont encourage your pup to play aggresive games that involve her nipping...
Hope this helps!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
do a search of the site for biting and you will find some great advice - I always used the owwww one if they bit me and it worked - every trime he bites shout oww and put him in the next room awAy from anmyone for 5 mins then bring bcak and carry on as normal :wave:

·
Registered
70 Posts
This thread is very helpful. My Dezi has been nipping for 2 days now and it is getting worse. I bought her some toys but she ignores them. She likes nipping at my toes, my slippers while I am wearing them, my pant hems... anything that moves around is her nipping target. I did say OUCH because hell ya it hurt, the girl's got sharp teeth! But I have never done the 5 minute time-out. I will definitely try this although I already know I wouldn't be able to stand her cries. I will put her in the back room so that I won't have to listen to her while she's on her 5 min time-out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I told DH to try that time out thing and he said it worked a little but he's still doing it...so now it's time for persistance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dezi is beginning to be testy and see who is leader of the pack so I did the following today (you might consider this as a 3 strikes out rule):

1) gentle/playful bite - a stern and strong "NO", this startled her and she usually stops. Sometimes she'd try to be sneaky and lick first then gradually start bitting.

2) harder bite - I pinned her down. At first she kicked and fought but she realized there's no winning so she calmed down and I let her go. She stopped bitting altogether, got tired, and went to bed.

3) 5 minute time-out - had she kept bitting harder, I would have used this on her. Fortunately we didn't get to this step, it was for her own good.

I think I will take her nipping/bitting in 3 different severities as outlined above. Strike 3, she's in time-out! Half hour later, she tried nipping again but step one worked and she hadn't tried again. I'm sure she will try again and again but consistency will make her realize that nipping won't get her nowhere.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As I type this...Dezi managed to get herself into a 5 minute time-out! Damn.......5 minutes is going to seem like eternity. I can hear her crying! :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Go to her and talk calmly to her, but dont pick her up, just ley her follow you out of the room. Then go back to the beginning of the whole exercise if she starts nipping again....heck, no one said this was going to be easy or fun.... :D Keep at it, good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks....I let her out of the restroom and when I saw her, boy my heart was breaking but I have to train her now when she's very young. Throughout the course of the evening, Dezi still attempted to test my sister and I. I told my sister how to enforce the discipline as well. Despite of her being testy, she never got herself in another time-out since then. :D I hope today, she will improve even more but like everyone said, it will take time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found something that works.

The oww technique didn't work because then he'd be like fine ignore me I'll chase the cats instead.

So I modified my father's techniques and it worked...did this by accident but it did work....no more biting really hard all though he still likes to try to chew me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts