Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Star has had her 1st season, so we kept our dogs apart for 25 days she stopped bleeding about a week ago and have been back together since friday (2 days) but her nipples are still lumpy (swollen like) is this normal?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yep, they will probably never go back to how they were before her first heat. They will get a little smaller between heats but they will stay larger than a female who was spayed before a heat.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Well, first of all just because a dog isn't bleeding doesn't mean they're not in heat anymore. Usually the most fertile time is just after they stop bleeding a bright red color. Saying that...typically a heat lasts around 21 days.

It is normal for their teats to become bigger during their first heat. Some dogs even have a false pregnancy (Psuedocyesis/False Pregnancy) may act pregnant & show signs of pregnancy but not really BE pregnant. There is also a risk of pyometra (Pyometra in Dogs). It can happen to any unspayed female of any age. Just something to be aware of if you aren't already. It can be serious & deadly (and quick!) so it's important to know the symptoms if you have an unspayed female.

Anyway...to me it sounds like your dog had a normal heat. Good for you in keeping them seperated--I know it can be a HUGE challenge to keep an intact male & female in the same house w/o an accident happening. They usually always find a way. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt know about that, Something for me to read up on. It was extremley hard keeping them apart, we did it for 24 days as my friend says she could get pregnant upto 3 days after a heat so they were put back together on the 25th day.......

Thanks for the information. Im gonna go read up on it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts