Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I took Emmie, my 9 year old chi, to the vet yesterday for a check on her coughing. NO heart or lung problems thank goodness. However, the vet did say that the cough was mostly due to obesity. Em has been on phenobarbital for years due to focal epilepsy (see's things that aren't there, ie, she snaps the air, gets panic attacks where she is being chased). Her weight is now 9.5 pounds and she should be about 7 pounds. She coughs when she barks mostly. She is a food hound and gets lots of tiny 'treats' from the table. That's gonna stop. Her breakfast is 1/8th of a cup of kibble. BUT I sprinkle a little bit of shredded cheese on top. Drizzle a tiny amount of coconut oil too, for her dandruff. I know that each of these add calories. At night they get one of those grillers broken up between 3 dogs. I feel terrible that I know that I am responsible for some of this added weight. I have 3 chi's and the others are at a normal weight. Vet says this weight is due to the phenobabital.? I told her that she got lots of treats, and her response was 'do the other dogs get the same treats?' They are at a normal weight. Help!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I literally have no advice but
Is it possible to put her on less calorie dog food?
Or give her less treats in general?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked with the vet, and we decided on a low calorie canned dog food. She can have 1/2 a can a day. I think I'll give her 1/4th of a can in the am, and then she can have her treats! We'll see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts