Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there one?

Is there a treat that is just so irresistably delicious that a chi will be instantly distracted and get that feel good feeling.

Poppy is so terrified of other dogs that when we are out walking, if she meets another dog (we meet loads) she skits around my feet and starts barking like nuts - I would love to be able to give her something that distracts her - but it needs to be easy to give seeing as I have to bend down to six inches off the ground to get to her mouth, something that gives her an instant "hit" of deliciousness.

I was thinking something that had a syrupy consistancy so it's instant - rather that something she has to chew..... any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Does she like peanut butter? Kalisee loves it. I do not give it to her very often but I know that she cannot resist it when she sees me "finally!!" taking a bit out to give her.

I do not know how well that will work though for you to give Poppy something like that to distract her. If she is overwhelmed by another dog I hope you can find something that works.

Kalisee will just sit there with a snarl on her face, motionless. She hates meeting with other dogs.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
That was the first thing that came to my mind! I think it's natural balance that makes a meat roll. My DIL cuts it up and uses it or treats. Cheese is a good one as is freeze dried liver treats.

Angel is so food motivated that I could use his kibble! Then I have Susie, our golden, who isn't interested in ANYTHING if she is upset or excited!

·
Registered
809 Posts
When I'm training for obedience and want real close attention I make "doggie crack". I don't make or give it often as I want it to stay an unusual treat that makes them do backflips to get.

I buy chicken livers and hearts and bake them in the oven with a little garlic salt sprinkled over them until done. Then I cut into small pieces and toss in a baggie with not quite an equal amount of fresh grated parm cheese (or other finely grated cheese, no big cheese pieces, you want the cheese to stick to the liver).

If I'm dealing with a small dog I don't bend down to feed it, I just drop it. They love it so much that once they realize what is falling from the sky their attention shifts up to me and they start to ignore whatever else is around. You could try to change your pup's attitude towards other dogs by not waiting until she is wrapped around your feet to treat but start to treat when she sees another dog and before she reacts. That way she starts to associate other dogs with yummyness falling from the sky.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I will try out each of the treats suggested - Lol I love Omguthrie's saying "That way she starts to associate other dogs with yummyness falling from the sky"
That is precisely what I am aiming to achieve!!

Poor little thing - she doesn't realise that her frantic skitting around and barking only attracts hyper dogs - they never go near my other two who take no notice of other dogs - but once she starts her skitting and screeching every dog we meet comes over to her to investigate - yesterday two very large german shepherds came over to see what was up with her = of course the sight of them and she was apoplectic with screeching!

So will definitely try all these treats and see if any work :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Roo's favorite of ALL is grilled chicken breast. I cube it into tiny morsels and he goes NUTS over them. I'd tried cheese, hot dog, bologna, various soft dog treats and ham. But that chicken is so good to him that he can't think of anything else!

I suggest trying a lot of things and see what she likes the very best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts