Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie is a binge eater.

I keep their food up (as well as the cat food, which she loves) and only put it out certain times of the day. If I didn't do this, she would eat until the bowl was empty, and beg for more.

When I do set the bowls down for them to eat, she eats way too fast, and as soon as she's finished eating, she will drink a considerable amount of water.

Sometimes (not all of the time, thank goodness) she will make a noise like she's burping, and the water and a few bites of totally intact food will come back up...Almost like a human baby spitting up...

I know it's because she's eating and drinking so fast, but other than keeping the food bowl out and full at all times and allowing her to eat all she wants, I don't know how to fix this.

She is perfectly healthy - very high energy and a good weight.

Any thoughts?

I'm beginning to think we should have named her "Miss Piggy"...:coolwink:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Gracie is a binge eater.

I keep their food up (as well as the cat food, which she loves) and only put it out certain times of the day. If I didn't do this, she would eat until the bowl was empty, and beg for more.

When I do set the bowls down for them to eat, she eats way too fast, and as soon as she's finished eating, she will drink a considerable amount of water.

Sometimes (not all of the time, thank goodness) she will make a noise like she's burping, and the water and a few bites of totally intact food will come back up...Almost like a human baby spitting up...

I know it's because she's eating and drinking so fast, but other than keeping the food bowl out and full at all times and allowing her to eat all she wants, I don't know how to fix this.

She is perfectly healthy - very high energy and a good weight.

Any thoughts?

I'm beginning to think we should have named her "Miss Piggy"...:coolwink:
how many times a day do you feed her? and is it dry or wet food that you feed? if its dry food there is balls that you can put food in and then she will have to work for it and that should slow her down a bit on eatting, anmd if you only feed her once a day try 2 times a day maybe that will help to. hope that helps :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feed her three times a day - she's still a pup, and I was afraid less wouldn't work with her high energy level.

She's housetrained now, so she's moved beyond the crating stage except when we aren't home, so this means I have to keep the other animal's food up, as well.

But this makes it harder to monitor exactly how much she eats - my cat is one of those nonchalant eaters, who takes forever to finish, so I have to watch her closely to make sure she stays out of the cat food when it's down.

Basically, I'm okay with the amount she's eating, I just want to slow her down.

The ball sounds interesting. I'll google it! Thank you!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I feed her three times a day - she's still a pup, and I was afraid less wouldn't work with her high energy level.

She's housetrained now, so she's moved beyond the crating stage except when we aren't home, so this means I have to keep the other animal's food up, as well.

But this makes it harder to monitor exactly how much she eats - my cat is one of those nonchalant eaters, who takes forever to finish, so I have to watch her closely to make sure she stays out of the cat food when it's down.

Basically, I'm okay with the amount she's eating, I just want to slow her down.

The ball sounds interesting. I'll google it! Thank you!
yeah i understand you im in the same boat but with my cat my chi eats so slowly and my kitten eats so fats and trys to nick her food lol
heres the ball i was on about i have exactly the same one
Snacky Food Ball For Rabbits Guinea Pigs Hamsters on eBay (end time 05-Dec-10 17:25:09 GMT)
its in pounds but im sur ethey will ship to the us or sell one in the us
its perfect chi size :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
if you feed her biscuits food then give it to her by hand and give them to her very slowly so she has time to let the first one go down x

·
Registered
912 Posts
Personally I'm not fond of hand feeding dogs, as it's just a bad habit for them to be in. Heaven forbid you weren't able to be there for one of their meals, or have to leave them in someone else's care for a few days...

I've heard of people putting small rubber balls in the food bowl that they have to work around slower than they normally would to eat their food. If you think a rolling ball in her dish might scare her, there is also this food bowl:

Martha Stewart Slow Feeder Dog Bowls - Martha Stewart Pets - Dog - PetSmart

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I used to feed my golden retriever in a muffin tin as that way she had to stop and think about eating instead of just inhaling it. They make 'slow' down dog bowls, or you can put a large rock or tennis ball in her bowl so she has to eat around the obstacles.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
The balls are good or try adding some water I'm with her kibble it'll add some of the moisture back in and make it harder work

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I heard that if you take an ordinary dog pan... and turn it upside down... feed them from the bottom of the pan.... and it makes them slow down when eating...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! Once my family dinner is finished this evening, I'll try to place an order!

We're thinking she may have had to fight for her food at the rescue home she was at. There were lots of other small dogs, and I'm wondering if she didn't gobble hers down, how much she would have actually gotten.

When we first got her, we had problems with her snatching treats right out of Pedro's mouth - and he's supposed to be our aggressive baby! We use the reward system for potty-ing, even though we have her completely housetrained now, and both get a tiny treat when we come back in. My husband worked with her, and now she patiently waits for her treat, and will no longer take Pedro's. She's such a little princess, though...She still thinks she should go first!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango ate very fast when he was younger. I started putting his kibble in a kong so it would take him longer to eat it. That worked perfectly, till he grew out of the fast-eating habit. My daughter has dogs and cats, and both dogs go after the cats food all the time. She has their food on the floor of the office closet, with a baby gate at the opening. The cats have no trouble jumping over the gate, and it keeps the dogs out of their food. In her other house, their food was up on a table in the laundry room.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Trigger has always eaten as you described hahaha and we DO call him the Piglet ;) As others have suggested, we put golf balls in his food, 3 or however many fit in the bowl he's fed from when its a non-raw meal. Otherwise he inhallllles it. Its actually a little disturbing LOL! To slow her down with kibble, you can add water to her food, for one, or try the ball idea. Over all though, they are sometimes quite piggish! We also sometimes put his food in one of the food puzzle toys if its Ziwipeak b'c he has to work to get it out/eat it, so it keeps him entertained instead of him inhaling it all in half a second.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts