Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Poppy is about 15 weeks and we have been walking her for about 3 weeks. She loves it in the sun/nice weather, we have been jogging, walking through fields and sometimes out for an hour. The problem is that when the weather is bad (which is frequently is in the UK!!) Poppy refuses to go outside. I have to entice her out with food to go to the toilet, but walking her is an impossiblility. She completely puts on the brakes and refuses to move, short of dragging her, I can not get her to move. Does anyone else have these problems? I have not even had her during winter yet!! What do people do with their chi's to exercise in this situation?? I was thinking of maybe getting a treadmill like on Dog Whisperer, Im not sure how else she can get enough exercise. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
tulula doesn't do bad weather, but will go out to go to toilet (thank god), we play with her round the house and she loves running up and down the stairs. i'm from colchester originally.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow really!! Where do you live now? We do run her round the house but she seems to go a bit mad if she doesnt get out, running about like a manic, and its really hard for our poor cat, as the two of them are not brilliant together at the moment and Poppy chases her!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
She is stillnv young they take time get her a coat I walked daisy in the rain today she was ok until it got v heavy just play it by ear

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah they dont like the cold too much.
I notice Darla is not as fast and happy out in the rain, but she will walk.
Both have wee raincoats for times like that, but i make it short and sweet.

·
Registered
342 Posts
macy & jordan will not walk in the rain either (maybe it's a chi thing?) Jordan is happy playing fetch inside over and over, so he gets enough exercise when it's rainy. Macy likes to play hide and seek, i run into another room and say find me, she gets really excited and ends up doing "zoomies" After about 10 min we stop cuz i'm out of breath lol

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
My dogs are all happy to go out what ever the weater ... they all get super excited when I put there leads on ... I think they don't even notice what the weather is like ;)
They have thin rain coats for warm but wet walks & thick coats for cold wet walks :)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
mine dont like rain or snow. they will go out in the rain but get fed up easily and want to go home or go inside quickly. as for snow they will happily play in it in the garden for up to 20 mins but they refuse to go for walks in it. When we had lots of snow over the winter this year i played with them lots inside, fetch with soft cat balls, i got out some interactive games which keeps their mind stimulates (nina ottosson) i also filled the bath and let them swim around in there for a bit (mine love swimming but only with life jackets on :lol: )

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I think I might have to have her running round the house!! She does have a little parka coat but its xs and still too large for her, she looks like a little stiff barrel when she wears it and when she tries to run her little leg goes up inside it and she has to be a hop-along. Im hoping she will grow into it soon as its no good for walking in at the moment and she pretty much just stands there looking sorrowful at me!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Mine hate the rain, so I don't walk them in it. They don't like cold or wind either and I definitely don't walk them in the Winter. They do get lots of walks in during good weather. They also get lots of exercise indoors chasing each other around and playing. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts