Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading thru the forums about indoor potty possibilities...The UGODOG, pup head from GW little...

Has anyone used any of these? Does the grass leave behind a smell, it it easy to clean?

·
Registered
573 Posts
My chi isn't experienced at all with a leash and my yard isn't fenced, so she goes potty on pee-pads indoors. There's no odor and it's a super easy clean-up. I just pop one in a holder tray and she's all set for the day. I work in a pet store, and every time we sell one of those grass training things, they get returned for some reason or another. That's just my input!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Lulu also uses a puppy pad, but it is actually a rectangle bed pad like what is used for patients that are bed-ridden. It is very easy--no smell, no mess. I change it first thing in the morning and in the evening if it needs changing. The reason I do not use true puppy pads is because I didn't like the funky odor I thought I smelled when used and in my area I found the bed pads to be cheaper if bought from Sams.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
There are a few here who use them successfully. I believe that Kat (Kitty&Kahlua) uses them. You may try to PM her.

My girls rarely go outside (we live on a creek so no fence and we have tons of hawks, owls and coyotes) and like the others, I have them beautifully trained on pads so that is a TON easier than harnessing three of them up every time I think they need to potty.

My favorite part is that now any of the 3 are able to get up in the night (they sleep in bed with us), toddle down their steps, go to a potty pad and then return right away to bed.

I used potty pads in a holder but since have switched to washable hospital chair and bed pads.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Karen you sound just like me, but I have woods instead of a creek (I'm sure you have woods too.) Lulu never goes outside because I am afraid of hawks and other critters, and she sleeps with us and uses her stairs at night or just goes when she wants and I am not bothered with it except to change the pad. SO EASY!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hey hey!! Yes I do use them and quite successfully lol!

The biggest misconception (and why I'm guessing most of these get returned) is because people get them and assume your dog will believe it's real grass and use it, like it does the grass outdoors.

Well, people just think their doggies are REALLY dumb because there's most definitely a difference between soft grass and synthetic plastic. =P Most dogs have no clue what they're there for.. and honestly the grass is more of a thing to appeal to the owners (as opposed to a litter box, or pee pads that look icky.) It feels weird under their paws as most have never felt anything like it; and peein' or pooin' on it is not the first thing that comes to mind LOL

So the dog definitely needs to be trained to use it; just like any other regimine. Starting over from basics; keeping a hawks eye on them and moving them there to potty each time. Or, the way that I did it which IMO was waaay easier; set up a pen like this:

Since the dog knows its bed-half is for sleeping; it's natural aversion to soiling its bed makes them move to the opposite side when they have to go. And voila; while you're gone or asleep your dog is potty training itself. It'll get used to the substrate; so that even when roaming around the house; if it can see & smell one they will know the proper place to go.

As far as cleaning, they are a PITA in winter time. We replace all our grassy parts 1once a year (we have 3 pads, but realize that our dogs go outside 80% of the time and they're only around as back-up now. Otherwise we just take them outside like, once a week and hose them off with a little dish soap.. Lay everything against the garage to dry and that's it. Some people put pee pads under one of the bottom layers to absorb, but I found it was a waste of my money if I was gonna use pads just as much too LOL. And for poop, I'd just pick it up whenever I noticed it with toilet paper and flushed it. Nothing i the pads controls odors so thats why we pick everything up right away. But, our dogs eat raw and their poop is odorless anyway, ha... its just a habit for me since I'm a neat freak.

So yeah, I love them. They're a great tool and yes they do look nicer than pads or litter boxes. Most people that visit don't really know what they are.. We have one in our bedroom; one in the main room; and another that we keep in the above pictured pen for any of the younger ones or not yet reliable ones.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Yeah, I do not talk much about my girls not being outside much since so many here walk everyday, have outdoor play areas and such. They go in the car a lot but they are not on the ground often.

A neighbor on the other side of the creek is an avid bicyclist. He goes for marathon sunrise rides. He informed me the other day that he saw the most beautiful sight a couple of weeks ago. A coyote with his mate were crossing the creek FROM MY SIDE and the coyote had a big rabbit hanging from it's mouth. He does not know we have small dogs. He went on and on about it being so stunning.

At least one of mine looks like a rabbit so that sealed the deal for me.

On the potty pad thing, I thought "easy" was better than my saying I was lazy...haha!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
On the potty pad thing, I thought "easy" was better than my saying I was lazy...haha!
So we have something else in common! LOL. I have watched a mother racoon and her babies come eat our cat's food off our deck more than once, and believe it or not, our cats have brought baby snakes to our back door (you know they like to bring you a treat) needless to say we watch where we step in the summer. That does not include the water moccasins we have around here. Call me paranoid or overprotective, but I know she is safe inside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just made a decision to adopt a little male who is currently only 5 months old. His breeder said that he will be litter box trained.. while I know you were talking about the artificial grass has anyone had any experience with litter boxes and what absorbent material do you typically use

·
Registered
231 Posts
I do the litter box thing. We got a rubbermaid type container..cut a door in it and then put a pee pad in the bottom...just like a ltter box, without the litter..but with the pad. Chachi does very well with it. We change the pads twice a day. I love it! We tried the outside thing with chachi but he was having none of it since it was so cold. When it is warm and he is outside..he will pee and poop out there but he prefers staying inside.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yeah, I do not talk much about my girls not being outside much since so many here walk everyday, have outdoor play areas and such. They go in the car a lot but they are not on the ground often.
Me either. Our backyard is heavily wooded and steeply sloped so not good for fencing. Taz likes to walk outside at the shopping center. Charlie likes to be outside so I put him on a flexie leash and let him wander around the front yard. Mostly they get exercise from chasing each other around the house. As for housetraining, I find pee pads to be really convenient. I love having them use pads and not having to worry about a walking schedule.

I have considered the washable pads but how do they know that'swhere they go? Don't they get confused and use the rugs or something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Potty Pad TROUBLE

Our chihuahua (Gus) 1 year old has no problems at all going pee on his pads but will not for any reason go poo. DOes anyone please have any suggestions or reason why this would be. The potty pad is in a large cage located in our extra bedroom. I change his pad every morning and every evening.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our chihuahua (Gus) 1 year old has no problems at all going pee on his pads but will not for any reason go poo. DOes anyone please have any suggestions or reason why this would be. The potty pad is in a large cage located in our extra bedroom. I change his pad every morning and every evening.
THank you to everyone who posted about my obstacle with getting Miya to stop peeing everywhere! You were right, I was giving her too many options. I've limited her area to ONE pee area, using the UGODOG. She is doing great!!! Only one or two accidents on the carpet. I LOVE IT. We have not mastered going potty #2 on her UGODOG though...any idea why this is and what I can do to correct it?

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I really dislike the fake grass systems. I originally bought one for a 2 week boating trip, for when I couldn't kayak Odie to land. She LOVED it, but only used it for the 2 weeks we were on vacation. We don't have a yard, so when it got really cold this winter, I decided to put it out on our protected patio so she'd still be going "outside". I had both that and a pee pad out there, and she chose the fake grass every time.

They are NOT easy to clean, especially when you can't just hose it off outside. I washed it off in our shower with soap and water and it still smelled afterwards, a lot. It's just not worth it to do that everyday and then have to bleach out your shower every time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We have not mastered going potty #2 on her UGODOG though...any idea why this is and what I can do to correct it?
I am guessing if she isn't 2'n on the UGO ~ she has a spot (several possibly)that she does 2. You need to thoroughly clean the area(s) (Nature's Miracle a product like it) to remove the odor because it's a trigger for her to continue to potty there. And then go back to the basics of constant supervision / scheduling potty trips to the UGO. Most likely she has times when you know a 2 is most likely or should be on it's way. Direct her to UGO, if she doesn't 2 tether her to you or crate her until you can get her to 2 on the UGO. She should never be left to her own devices or free roaming until she is reliable.

If by chance she does get away from you and you find a 2 you just have to realize she pottied, it needs thoroughly cleaned and take personal responsibility for it because its then the person's "fault" not the animal as she was left to run and potty unsupervised. You can't punish at that point because she has no idea what she is being punished for and then you create a Secret Squirrel Pooper scenario where she will dart off and 2 quickly in secret spots. It's very hard to break that cycle without constant and I do mean constant supervision. Constant supervision seems like a pain in the tookus, but time spent now saves so much time and frustration down the line.

To get her to 2 on the UGO continue to celebrate the 1's, and get her on a schedule of taking her to the UGO when 2's are most likely to occur and keep an eye on her at all times so she cannot 2 anywhere else. She will definitely learn what you expect of her. If you get her on a schedule for potty both the 1's & the 2's ~ taking her to Ugo throughout the day and maintaining that schedule weekday and weekends she will grasp the concept so much quicker than just taking her to the UGO randomly. She will learn quickly I wake up, I go to UGO and potty / I play I go to UGO and Potty, I eat I go to UGO and potty ~ it will become a habit for her and that's what you are trying to establish a potty routine.

I had a Secret Squirrel this morning. Took her out to potty before breakfast we had a 1 & a 2. Took her back out after breakfast she 1'd ~ I didn't think she could have a 2 that quickly, but she did ~ so once again I was the victim of a double 2. Cleaned it up, reminded her to potty outside reminded myself not to be a twit because she has gotten me 2 or 3 times with this move, lol.

You'll definitely get it, it just takes time and complete dedication to the mission :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I agree with kitty and kahlua. I have two of the indoor parks, and I rotate them weekly. They are a pain to clean, and you really do need to get them clean or they will stink. I soak mine outside in a plastic trash bin filled with water and kennel cleaner (I forget the name--it's pink liquid). Works great. When in use, I do line mine with newspapers. 4 of my Chis use the park and two do not (they use newspapers on top of plastic liners). I like the indoor park and would recommend it, with the warning that you do have to be willing to clean the thing. The indoor parks have been a lifesaver as I am unable to have a doggie door. Someday I wills end photos of my owl and hawk-safe "outties" area, but they only use it three times each day,a nd I have to stand there to guard them. It's under the deck and I am quite proud of it since I have NO handyman skills. Even with that, I have stood outside to hear the owl hooting nearby . . .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the UGODOG pads and it works out great. The pad is cleaned off, hosed off really, twice a day, and is maintained in our bathroom. other than our male standing on the pad and pissing off the side, and onto the floor, there aren't any issues. I have one of the grass type pads on our patio, as someone else had already mentioned they are hard to clean which is why it's on the patio and not inside.

puppy pads are easier to maintain, since you just throw them away, but in the long run your going to spend more money buying pads and they generate more waste (since your changing them out regularly).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts