Chihuahua People Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was researching today and found an old post by TLI w/jade and here is what her post said:

"I got Gia when she was 18 weeks old because she was too small to leave the breeder before that. She was 1 lb. 3/4 oz. when I got her. I'm not sure what she weighed at 8 weeks, though. I got Jade when she was 14 weeks old, and only because the lady knew that I had experience with tinies. She weighed 12 oz. when I brought her home. "

London currently weighs 14oz today and is 14 weeks old. Yes, he is a teeny but there are teenies our there that are healthy. I spoke with the breeder on the phone today and she said other than being tiny he is completely healthy. He has an appt with my vet the day after he comes home and we will discuss his health thoroughly at that time. I am willing to deal with whatever is necessary and to love him to pieces. He will be coming home the weekend of March 10th. Not sure yet but trying to go pick him up in California. Praying it all works out so he doesn't have to fly.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope it works out that you can bring him home yourself!!! :D
Yes, I hope so too!!! We are traveling to Hawaii and on the way home our transfer is in San Francisco and the breeder lives only 2 hours away and agreed to bring him to me. BUT, the problem is our layover is only 1 hour and there is ALOT that has to happen in that 1 hour to get him on the plane. I'm sooooo hoping it works out but not 100% sure yet. Both myself and the breeder would rather do it this way but it's all got to work out perfectly for it to happen. Please say some prayers.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes, I hope so too!!! We are traveling to Hawaii and on the way home our transfer is in San Francisco and the breeder lives only 2 hours away and agreed to bring him to me. BUT, the problem is our layover is only 1 hour and there is ALOT that has to happen in that 1 hour to get him on the plane. I'm sooooo hoping it works out but not 100% sure yet. Both myself and the breeder would rather do it this way but it's all got to work out perfectly for it to happen. Please say some prayers.
Done. But if a snag occurs you could always hop on the next flight right? Or even change your ticket at a small charge for a later flight? If that were a possibility it would give you and the breeder time to acquaint in person too. If not...prayers, warm well wishes etc...coming your way! ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done. But if a snag occurs you could always hop on the next flight right? Or even change your ticket at a small charge for a later flight? If that were a possibility it would give you and the breeder time to acquaint in person too. If not...prayers, warm well wishes etc...coming your way! ;)
There's no way we can take a later flight cause as it is we aren't getting home til 2am and my kids have a youth event to go to the next day then are going to NY to audition for The Voice. So, there's no way we can stay there any later. I wish we could. But, if it doesn't work out, then he's going to have to fly in later that day or the next. We will see. Fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Aww bless you for your dedication! Were you able to get a response from the breeder on the PLL, PRA and/or other *genetic* health testing on the parents? I'd make sure to verify proof of that at least (just a vet exam isn't the same); as that could put your mind to ease at least about some of the concerns.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Ah good you should go and get him. If you are committed to him, you are doing right by him to go and get him yourself. He is much too fragile to fly alone--that is for certain. Best of luck with your plans...

·
Registered
801 Posts
“Five hours after 81 healthy puppies were put aboard a TWA passenger jet en route from Kansas City to St. Louis, baggage handlers discovered 50 of the puppies were dead due to heat exposure of suffocation. When a Continental jet bound for Denver was delayed for three hours in Philadelphia, three of the five Samoyed dogs being transported in the plane's cargo hold were found dead on arrival.” According to the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF), “Too many animals needlessly suffer injury or die each year—and an airline’s only liability for the often gruesome death of a beloved pet is limited to the value of a piece of luggage.

“The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)… states that… there is limited temperature control and very little ventilation in these luggage compartments. Moreover, one airline pilot stated that, even with temperature control, these are often imprecise. Crew members, he said, “rely on passenger complaints” to gauge the temperature in the passenger section. In the belly, where temperature control is even more imprecise, there is no one to hear the animals complain.”

Here is the site these articles came from if you want to read more.

www.puppyaircare.com

Car & Plane Dangers

I kept trying to post on this thread and editing myself over
and over because everything I say sounds rude. However,
I find the safety of this animal should far exceed the convenience
of your family. I am hoping you have no clue about the hazards
involved in shipping a puppy via airline as FREIGHT. Most breeders
refuse to "ship" puppies for these reasons. Maybe these
articles will help.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
“Five hours after 81 healthy puppies were put aboard a TWA passenger jet en route from Kansas City to St. Louis, baggage handlers discovered 50 of the puppies were dead due to heat exposure of suffocation. When a Continental jet bound for Denver was delayed for three hours in Philadelphia, three of the five Samoyed dogs being transported in the plane's cargo hold were found dead on arrival.” According to the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF), “Too many animals needlessly suffer injury or die each year—and an airline’s only liability for the often gruesome death of a beloved pet is limited to the value of a piece of luggage.

“The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)… states that… there is limited temperature control and very little ventilation in these luggage compartments. Moreover, one airline pilot stated that, even with temperature control, these are often imprecise. Crew members, he said, “rely on passenger complaints” to gauge the temperature in the passenger section. In the belly, where temperature control is even more imprecise, there is no one to hear the animals complain.”

Here is the site these articles came from if you want to read more.

www.puppyaircare.com

Car & Plane Dangers

I kept trying to post on this thread and editing myself over
and over because everything I say sounds rude. However,
I find the safety of this animal should far exceed the convenience
of your family. I am hoping you have no clue about the hazards
involved in shipping a puppy via airline as FREIGHT. Most breeders
refuse to "ship" puppies for these reasons. Maybe these
articles will help.
Excuse me??!! Yes, very rude and it's people like you that was the reason I left this board a year ago!!!!!! My family is non of your business!!!!!!! And the welfare of my family is of utmost importance along with my animals!!!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't think Christabelle's post is rude. She is someone who is genuinly concerned and she's just trying to make sure you are aware of the potential dangers of shipping a puppy, especially one of the size you are dealing with.

In the end you are going to do what you're going to do. You've come here asking for information and some very experienced and knowledgeable people have taken the time to pass on what they know to you. If you choose to ignore their advice that is totally your decision and but please don't discourage people being open and honest with their advice because that is what I and many others come to this site for.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'm sure Christa didn't mean any harm. There aren't many people much sweeter
than her, she is a good girl. I think she was just showing concern, because she
loves and cares about all dogs' welfare, including your little one.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Christa's post was not rude. It was factual. Dogs flying cargo are at risk. Now imagine putting a fragile tiny 1 pound puppy on a cargo flight.... all the way across the country. Perhaps with multiple layovers. Do you not see the risk? Personally, I would question the ethics of a breeder who would do that. Many breeders will sell tinies ONLY if they are hand carried on the plane. I don't know of ONE who would put a tiny chi puppy on a plane to fly across the country in cargo.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What gets me is all the comments about caring for the health of the dog......he's MY dog. Don't you think I care about him and his well being more than you all??!!! That's the part that gets me.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It's human nature. Many of us have been there. It has happened to me.

We fall in love with a picture or an idea of a dog. It is hard to separate the new found adoration from facts. I had a dog picked out on "paper" so to speak and was told by several here that she was not the dog for me and I received very detailed explanation why. I insisted and we drove a couple of hours to see her. Thankfully, I knew right away that she was not right because I had not put up a wall to what they had said to me and I was able to objectively see, know and decide.

It is clear that you want a very tiny dog. His size seems to be very important. It is reasonable to have or get what you what you want. Many here want a blue or a merle or a dog with a particular this or a particular that. They are willing to accept the things that come along with that or you will read that many here had no idea the issues that could come along with the particulars that they want and find those things out later. That can make for some sad, painful and costly discoveries.

I think that no one is here is trying to dampen your excitement for finding exactly the dog you want. It does read like you want a tiny dog no matter what and are willing to accept him at any cost (all the issues that can come with a super tiny dog-I'll not recount those, you have received clear detail on all of that).

You have likely asked yourself what will you do/feel like/feel toward him is he turns out to be nice and averaged sized or has liver or incontinence issues, a too small jaw/overbite with a tongue that hangs out and so on. You likely are also prepared to manage the expenses and all the emotion that would accompany those issues. For me, personally, one of the most frustrating things about reading this board is people who clearly have sick, ill or injured dogs but will not seek treatment or manage their care with follow up treatment. I do not believe that would be you. At all.

I stated before that I could not buy a dog that I had not met first nor from a breeder who's home and set up I had not seen myself. That is just me. MANY here fly to pick up dogs for show and breeding which is very common. I am just a pet owner. In fact, I just told the Vet Monday that we "collect" purebred, AKC registered dogs who are show and breeding program "rejects". They are PERFECT for us. I do hope that his breeder will only offer him with AKC Limited registration rather than full. That would help you know how reputable she is as a breeder.

A dog's health and temperament will trump size any day. I can tell you that firsthand. My girls are average sized. The smallest at 3.5 pounds can inadvertently get scooted across the hard wood floor by one of us in sock feet because 3.5 pounds, while average for a Chi, is actually really very small and we have to be careful. I cannot imagine if we had small children tangled up with her!

I wish you the best with whatever you decide. I do think that it is important for you to objectively-without the emotion tied to a cute puppy-evaluate all that you are considering. Perhaps send pictures to a Vet or breeder that you know and trust to help get a factual/non-emotional perspective.

I hope for you a healthy, well adjusted and happy dog!

·
Banned
177 Posts
Karens post is fabulous!

It is clear you just want a tiny dog no matter the costs. That is your perogative but you have to remember this forum is public and information is out there for everyone.

You have been very defensive with your responses where people including myself have told you your dog is not sound and has a number of issues which could be more due to his size.

From what you have said I for one don't think this breeder is very reputable (charging a large amount for a dog with a massive overbite and roached back, shipping a tiny pup etc) but that is just my opinion. I am sure you are very concerned of the health and welfare of this puppy as are a lot of other people but they are just trying to make you and others who maybe reading aware of possible problems.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
He will probably be just fine. You need to be sure he eats 4-5 times a day and until you know he is doing well, I would get up once in the night and check on him, and get him to eat a little something. I also recommend adding about a tablespoon of karo syrup to his drinking water until he is about a pound and a half. The biggest problem with smaller chihuahuas is hypoglycemia - drops in blood sugar. If you aren't familiar with this then do some googling on the topic to learn what to look for and how to keep it from happening. Generally by 2 lbs/16 weeks this is outgrown but your guy is a bit smaller and so I would go by the 2 lb rule.

Buy a tube of Nutrical and rub some on his gums am & pm as well, about the size of a pea or so. This also helps regulate his blood sugar.

Finally, since he is small, I would buy a small pet heating pad for in his bed/crate at night. Smaller dogs have a harder time regulating body heat than bigger, chubbier ones do. If they have to work too hard to stay warm, this can cause a sugar drop as well.

Don't worry though, it probably will be just fine!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.