Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all paris is real sick and mite not make it the vet says she has real bad lung worm does any1 have any info he gave her a inflammatry jab and a antibiotic and wormed her but he says she stil mite not make it the breeder said she had wormed her and that i had no need to for a month wish she had been straight with me my baby is so poorly ate seeing her like this

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh no! That sounds terrible. I am sorry to hear that and I am sorry I have no info on lung worms, but I am sure someone here will give u good advice. I hope Paris gets better...I really do...and please keep us inform. Paris will be in our thoughts.
God bless her

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou for your support i am keeping watch on her and have got her eating and drinking fingers crossed for my little girl

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Sorry to hear your girl is poorly :(

Is she coughing/being sick ?

{{{hugs from me & Fizzy Dave }}}

did the vet say you have to take her back again ?
what did he give you too worm her with ?

I'm not sure , but maybe you should ask him if the others
need worming too as Paris has them ??

Saraxx

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
that's what i found on the net about it. i dont' ahve time to go into my vet books and look stuff up, i thought this was very rare......i may be mistaken...

Adult worms are found in nodules of about 2mm in size in the trachea and bronchi. The method of transfer is not known, the tails of the worms can be seen on bronchoscopy, protruding from the nodules. Many infected dogs go unnoticed but severely affected dogs have a harsh cough and may loose weight.

Mostly young puppies are affected and are common where a number of dogs are kept together. Treatment is usually difficult and surgical removal of the nodules my be necessary.

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks so much she is on panacure the good thing is i havent mixed her with patch tyke and rio yet jacob has though so im gonna take him as well just as a precaution when i first got her i noticed she had slight cough but it went straight away is there much chance of her recovering from this im so worried all i can do is give her all round care he did say after she loses the worms she may die from blood poisoning or be real skinny so am feeding her up but he didnt seem like the greatest vet

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
hope she pulls through ... I had a word with my vet a little
while back re lung worms , as my lad kept sicking up
tiny bits of spit ( sorry can't think of a better word ! )
she said they do treat dogs for this and they do often
do just fine :) she also said Panacure ... did you see a new vet ?

sara xx

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no he is the vet where i got jacobs vaccinations and i thought he was quite good then but seems to me his shop is called the vaccination centre so i think thats prob more what he caters for she has perked up a bit and resting just hoping for the best

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i brought some science diet meat from him and iv gave her that and she has had some chicken just wanna make sure when they do go she has enough weight on her to pull through

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
all i could find

Capillaria aerophila: Lungworm

General Description: Slender worms, males up to 24.5mm long, females as long as 32mm.

Life Cycle: Dogs, foxes and cats are the hosts for Capillaria aerophila, which has a direct life cycle. Eggs are coughed up and swallowed and pass in faeces. Infective larvae develop in the eggs 5 to 7 weeks after leaving the host. Ingestion and digestion of eggs by cats release larvae which penetrate the intestinal wall and migrate to the lungs, where they develop into adults. The prepatent period is about 40 days. Earthworms and rodents may act as paratenic hosts.

Significance: Irritation of lungs may predispose animals to pneumonia.

Effect on Host: Heavy infections cause chronic irritation of the trachea and bronchi. Breathing becomes difficult. A whistling noise may accompany breathing, and a deep, wheezing cough may be heard, especially at night. There may be nasal discharge; cats may hold their mouths open to breathe better. Infected cats become emaciated and anaemic. Secondary bacterial infection can cause pneumonia.

Diagnostic Information: Typical Capillaria-like eggs appear in the faeces.

Control: Faecal material should be removed from animal quarters. Commonly used anthelmintics are not effective. Literature reports of successful treatment with ivermectin are availa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~different article ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Although usually parasites of the frontal sinuses, trachea, bronchi, and rarely nasal cavities of foxes, Capillaria aerophila are found in dogs and other carnivores. They are 25-35 mm long. The females produce eggs with bipolar plugs that resemble those of whipworms; however, their shells are colorless to greenish and pitted. The eggs are laid in the lungs, coughed up and swallowed, and passed in the feces. The eggs can be identified either from tracheal washes or fecal flotation. The life cycle is direct; dogs become infected through consumption of feed or water contaminated with larvated eggs. After hatching in the intestine, the larvae reach the lungs and bronchi via the circulatory system. They mature ~40 days after infection. Clinical signs include coughing, sneezing, and nasal discharge

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been thinking about Paris all morning. I hope she is feeling better.
Does anyone know if the heartworm medication also prevents the lungworms? I have my girls on revolution, but it doesn't say anything about lungworms.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Armando... said:
I've been thinking about Paris all morning. I hope she is feeling better.
Does anyone know if the heartworm medication also prevents the lungworms? I have my girls on revolution, but it doesn't say anything about lungworms.
well i called the animal hospital to ask cause i am curious as well and my dr. wasn't there the newer dr was and the only one that was there at the time and she said she didn't know what i was talking about (you see, why i only use the one dr there :? sheesh.) so unless someone else knows or nate answeres you'll have to wait to tomorrow when "the real dr." is there...

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thankyou for all your help she is stil very poorly but just had her first toilet and there was a very large worm in it so not sure if it is lung worm do they come out like that after worming am relived she has passed it though it was huge for such a small baby just keeping my eye on her 24/7 again thanks for all your help not sure what i would of done with out the support of this forum

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm so sorry about your chi, i really hope she pulls through and gets better really fast.

to answer the question about preventing lungworms...i think HeartGard Plus prevents them. on their website, www.heartgard.com it says they prevent heart worms, ring worms and hook worms. it also says something about preventing worms that go into the heart and lungs...that would be lung worms i assume.

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the info i just wish she would perk up a bit more hate seeing her like this and it makes it harder coz all i can do is wait

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I understand how you feel. When my pup Guiness had distemper, I thought it was just kennel cough. (thats what a vet told me :evil: ) so for 2 weeks i had to force him to eat, drink, take his meds. i just sat there watching him get worse, while the stupid vet told me he would be fine, just "give it a few more days." well, sadly, within those "few days" he got much worse, and, well, i'm sure you can guess what happened.

BUT...your little one is very, very lucky she has a doctor who knows whats wrong, and is doing everything he/she can to make her better. even though chihuahua's are small dogs, they have a HUGE will to live, you can see that just by their personalities. they are, as i say, a small dog on the outside, but a mastiff on the inside. the don't take crap from anybody and demand everyone's respect.

I was very happy to read in your other post that she passed a huge worm. i would take that as a positive sign. her body is expelling all that bad stuff, and just be assured to know that she is fighting whats inside her body, because she knows you love her and want her to be around a very long time. love is a powerful emotion, and your baby can sense it from you, and she knows your fighting right along with her. sometimes love is the best medicine. :love7:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts