Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be a good place to get info on Chihuahuas! I have had dogs all my life (entering the senior citizen stage) & am to the point where I think a small breed would be better. Also, a short hair. I have 2 questions. The first is about the temperament with children. Is this breed definitely a no with a child under 5? This would be a controlled situation where they would not be alone together. Secondly, it's indicated that they're hard to housebreak. How hard? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome to the Board, there is a wealth of knowledge here & lots of wonderful people who I am sure will be able to help with any questions you might have.

The thing about chi's being bad with kids is an absolute myth. Mine are fine with my kids, one of who is a special needs child under the age of 5. It is just like any other dog, both the dog & the child need to be supervised & taught to interract appropriately with one another. The only thing is chi's are a little more fragile so the child just needs to be gentler then they might be with a bigger breed.

As to potty training, I don't think they are easier or harder to train as a breed, it is dependant on the individual dog.

Hope this helps :)

Edited to add - I find my short hairs shed a LOT more than my long hair and I don't find that my long hair needs much more grooming than the short hairs so it is really just personal preference in terms of coat length.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks so much for the reply. That's very encouraging. I now need to look at breeders. It's important to me that they screen for genetic problems.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome to CP! I have had yorkies for 33 years and have chis for over 40.Chis are much easier to house train than yorkies. Chis are people pleasers,very sensitive,thats why.

AS for children under 5,if they are well trained there should be no issue to be.A chi wants to be treated how we wish to be treated. Very simple.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi, Bronco - if you're at all concerned about temperament, would you consider rescuing an adult dog? Most rescues temperament test and screen carefully; they can tell you if a dog is good with children or not. You might also circumvent the housebreaking issue, as some dogs in rescue are house trained already. Just adopted my first rescue in March (I've fostered/done transports/done reference checks for years) and Pablo is awesome! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
House training chihuahuas

I have owned Chihuahuas for many years,all adult to elderly rescues. As others have said Chis and children do well together as long as the frailty of the dog is taken into account. it seems children want to pick up the little Chis and there is the danger of the dog being dropped so teaching the child and supervision of playtime is key.
As for house training, I have had major problems when I tried to teach my dogs to go indoor on puppy pads.It just confuses them,in my opinion, that is bad to go potty inside Except on potty pads.
Even my tiny or very elderly dogs were trained to go potty outside,no matter the weather. of course, some dogs needed to be coaxed a little if it was raining or snowy.
I agree with the other poster who urged you to look into an adult rescue. They make the greatest pets.
Teresa & Beau

·
Registered
17 Posts
My chi ( whos only 5 months old) has been bought up with my now 8 month old daughter - he is BRILLIANT with her - i have no issues them being together and hes fab around her - as are all my other dogs ( not chis) its just how you manage it - m,y daughter was never of limits, they were never shouted at for showing an interest just praised when they approached her nicely and removed from the situation quietly if they got a bit excited.

had no trouble housetraining him - and i dont find he needed to go out toilet more often he may have a tiny bladder but im pretty sure he drinks in relation to his size same as my other dogs lol!!! infact he was one of my quickest housetrained he only has the odd accident if i orget ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bronco in east tennessee

Yep, We live in Knoxville.Do you come to Knoxville often?
A local club called Rays had a Cinco de Mayo chihuahua race. Beau and I attended and I was amazed by the number of Chis and their owners that were there. And so many from outside Knoxville!
It was so much fun I want to go next year!!!
There is also a dog park with half sectioned off for small dogs. I love this as Beau was poorly socialized and Imam trying tommake up for it now.
If you get to Knoxville maybe we and our dogs can meet.

Teresa & Beau

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Knoxville

I've been to Knoxville several times. The last time I got so lost, it's a wonder I didn't just move in. I do better if my husband is driving. I have a reputation with maps & directions. However, if we get there, I'd love to get together with a Chi person to learn more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts