Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dixie has a inguinal hernia. This was discovered by her first vet visit. I had no intentions of breeding her when I got her, but asked the vet if not spaying was an option. He said unless the hernia was repaired it could cause intestine strangulation. He also said not alot of vets want to attempt to repair this type of hernia on such a tiny dog. The surgery is risky and I have some hunting to do. Also need to save alot of money as this may cost around $1500. Dixie is very healthy otherwise and I hope this will be in her favor when she has her surgery. I understand there's an organization that helps people pay for costly surgeries that are life threatening. Does anyone know who I can contact? Has anyone here had a pup with such a hernia? I understand this happens to alot of intact chihuahuas and rare for pups.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
As I said in your other thread, I would get several different consultations from different vets. There's NO WAY that an inguinal hernia is going to cost $1500. That's an outrageous quote. It will be a fraction of that number. Go see some other vets for a consult and then you will have a better idea of how much money to save. Don't just go with your normal vet and this his word is gospel. It isn't. Hernias are repaired ROUTINELY during the spay. It's really not a big deal, and a quote of $1500 is highway robbery.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts