Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway, I'm a 24 year old unemployed female.
These past 8 months I have been having trouble falling asleep. :(.
I have no thoughts in my mind like most of the time which makes it
harder to go to sleep. I take tylenol pm most nights. I have also tried melotonin to help with sleep, which works but then i always find myself
getting up at 2am like clockwork.

When I was in school a few years ago i had no trouble getting to sleep. I don't know why I am having trouble now. I used to worry ALOT about my parents because both my grandma's have Alzheimer's and learned it can be generic. Also my dad has had 2 strokes in the past and i worry if he has a 3rd one he'll won't be the same. :(. I don't like "change." Although Life is all about changing.

But i haven't had one good night sleep, but then again I'm never tired in the day time. I have tried reading, exercising (2 hrs prior to bedtime) along with a nice hot bath and a cup of tea. Nothing works...

HELP...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Exercising before bed is bad, it's jacks up your heart rate and in turn your body turns on like a clock. Exercise is great, and I sleep fantastically as a result, but I also workout in the morning and my body winds down, just like a clock at the end of the day.

If you do it habitually it could be your problem. I find that worrying about not sleeping usually leads to less sleep overall.

Also I personally advise against the over the counter sleep aids, those are for pain not for sleep, they just assist sleeping with pain.

If you think it's a real problem i'd consult a medical professional, but chances are you're doing it to yourself.

Are you eating a balanced diet? How is your daily routine? What about caffeine, that should be cut off wayyyy before bedtime - try 5pm.

Every article i've ever read about not sleeping says if you can't fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time in bed, get out of bed and do something else till you're sleepy again. Doing other things in bed (reading eating etc) can make your body wonky too. I've also read from the same article that things like television, cell phones, alarm clocks, and computers upset the bodies natural rhythm of sleep and those shouldn't be used prior to bed either.

Who knows how much of it is true, but I guess worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Anyway, I'm a 24 year old unemployed female.
These past 8 months I have been having trouble falling asleep. :(.
I have no thoughts in my mind like most of the time which makes it
harder to go to sleep. I take tylenol pm most nights. I have also tried melotonin to help with sleep, which works but then i always find myself
getting up at 2am like clockwork.

When I was in school a few years ago i had no trouble getting to sleep. I don't know why I am having trouble now. I used to worry ALOT about my parents because both my grandma's have Alzheimer's and learned it can be generic. Also my dad has had 2 strokes in the past and i worry if he has a 3rd one he'll won't be the same. :(. I don't like "change." Although Life is all about changing.

But i haven't had one good night sleep, but then again I'm never tired in the day time. I have tried reading, exercising (2 hrs prior to bedtime) along with a nice hot bath and a cup of tea. Nothing works...

HELP...
I've been there but please please be careful with the medication. When I was in my first year of university I accidentally became addicted to sleeping medication I couldn't sleep with out them. I couldn't sleep and would have class so I would use a medication to ensure that I was getting enough rest to get through the day...the thing is that your not sleeping your just past out you body isn't going through the proper cycles do get the best rest.

My life became like hell when I was on them because my schedule would change I would still be sleeping and I became nocturnal by accident, not good at all! What i did to 'cure' myself was every single thing I could do during the day to tire myself out I exercised, shopped, cleaned and then at night did my studying to 'decompress'. Then even though I would still be thinking at night I put on my ipod to a dock, listening to songs I know backwards and forwards and didn't have to really pay attention to which helped my mind let go.

This wasn't easy to do trust me I've been there I know exactly what your going through. It was over 3 months before I could sleep with just using the melatonin and now 2 years later I'm free from it and I will never ever be going back it's really scary stuff.

Now everything even gravol in my home is non drowsy since the temptation to just drug myself to sleep is always an option and that's just too scary for me to return to.

Anyways I know you weren't looking for a novel, just wanted to share my experiences and let you know you are not alone and what can happen. so again i urge you even if you think you are being careful now the moment you pop the medication you are walking a thin line so please be very careful.

ps. have you thought about a councilor for your stress/anxiety?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I take OTC sleeping pills for when I work day shift at work otherwise I'll be a zombie i take it fairly early usually around 8:30-9pm and I sleep wonderfully until 5am when my alarm
Goes off I only take them on day shifts so I won't get addicted a lot of other nurses where I work do the same some take it nightly though

·
Registered
644 Posts
if you're not tired in the day time then that suggests to me that although you feel you're not getting a good night's sleep, you are getting enough sleep.

if you habitually wake up at two in the morning, don't stay in bed wondering why you're not sleeping. get up and read for a while, do a crossword or even do some ironing until you feel tired again, then go back to bed. :)

steer clear of tea at bedtime, it is a stimulant after all.
try red bush, rooiboo or camomile tea instead.
and don't have a hot bath as that just gets your body working hard to cool off and consequently leaves you alert instead of sleepy.
try a warm bath with lavendar oil in it instead.
try and avoid taking drugs, they're useful for the occasional sleepless but are terrible for you in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts