Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Was having a think about insurance and wondered what everyone thinks?

Should you insure right from the beginning (puppyhood), or insure later?

Does anyone insure breeding bitches, and is the cost more or are the rules different?

I've heard of 'life insurance' but not really sure how that differs from just monthly or annual?

Just wondering what was available.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I use gopetplan.com, and firmly believe it is the best pet insurance out there. Yes, it is best to insure from puppyhood on. The longer you wait, the more likely something will happen or pop up, and not be covered. Puppies are generally healthy. Petplan requires your dog have a wellness exam within 30 days before or after becoming insured, so if something is wrong you risk your vet finding it and not having it covered by insurance. It costs around $200 a year per dog I have insured.

NO insurance company will insure breeding bitches, and actually specifically say any costs related to breeding are NOT covered.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
I read alot of posts about a yr ago and the most seemed pleased with PetPlan... so that is what I have now...... and will put it to the 'test' once I get Chico's surgery paperwork sent in as a claim... and then will have to use it again for his hip surgery......

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi,
I decided when I got my girls that I would put aside the amount I would spend on insurance and save up for future medical needs. I figured that they were young and healthy and I would have time to save but when I went to have Kira spayed her blood worked showed she has a liver shunt so the insurance would have come in handy for the unforseen.

I have both my girls insured now with trupanion. My advice, get the insurance.

Good luck with your decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts