Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I am on the hunt for a new addition to the Fam Bam.

This noobie will be on Full register for showing and breeding. And, not shockingly enough - no one wants to give me a girl lol.

A breeder/exhibitor that I was originally getting a Chi girl off (she unfortunately did't make it) has been wonderful in trying to help me out and answer all my Q's.

She suggested this:

You will have no trouble obtaining a boy. You will have people throwing them at you to show lol. Also you are also more likely to get a better quality male, than a female as breeders will always keep the stunning girls. Because breeders only keep a minimal number of boys, you are more likely to get a stunning boy to show (just something to think about).

As I have never had a male dog, and any male dogs that I have encountered are neutered, I have no idea what they are like in regards to behaviou/training.

My big fears are: not being able to control marking, humping (I know Fiddle does hump some toys but all I have really done is taken away the toy, not really solved the problem) Dominance, and how a male will be with Fiddle.

If you have male, especially an intact male - how do you find them? easier to train than girls? how do you control marking? etc

Please - sell the idea of a male to me lol.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
We didnt neuter Chibi until after a year old as we were going to show him if his top line leveled out. I had a fit with him and due to him being a long coat, when we used a belly band it ended up getting on his coat and giving it a urine stain. He was a little hellion when it came to marking. Thankfully even neutering him at that age he stopped marking. He was a little humping maniac too and that is in the past as well .

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
This is very true and how I ended up with a boy first. Thing is I much prefer to show a boy. In general they are just nicer animals. I'm sure lots of people won't agree with that, but whatever, I'm allowed an opinion.

But, the MARKING IS OBNOXIOUS. Since I have a snow white dog, I can't belly band him, because when he pees, he stains his fur. So...I just have basically removed all throw pillows and non washable surfaces from my house. he was 100% potty trained til puberty hit. Really, IMO, unless you are really dominant, which is NOT good for showing chis, it scares them, you aren't going to have much success getting him not to mark. So...just deal w/ it. lol...or get a dark colored dog so it can be belly banded all the time.

I don't find girls vs boys are easier to train...just depends on the individual dog.

TBH I most likely will never purchase another male. No point. Unless for some reason I can't finish Bryco, then I might get another male. But really your 1st dog is a right of passage, at least it is over here. After that, people are much more open to sell you something nice.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We didnt neuter Chibi until after a year old as we were going to show him if his top line leveled out. I had a fit with him and due to him being a long coat, when we used a belly band it ended up getting on his coat and giving it a urine stain. He was a little hellion when it came to marking. Thankfully even neutering him at that age he stopped marking. He was a little humping maniac too and that is in the past as well .
LOL oh Michelle...its so hard tho b'c they are so endearing at the same time ;) But yeah, it sounds like you totally delt w/ an exact carbon copy of my experience with Bryco so far.

But bottom line is, NO ONE with half a mind, will sell a decent bitch to a newbie. Just ain't happening. So if something sounds too good to be true, it is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Zippy is unneutered because of his heart murmur. He doesn't really mark in the house unless we leave something new and strange smelling on the floor. Otherwise, he leaves all of the furniture, etc alone. On walks outside, however, he wants to mark EVERYTHING! I originally tried dissuading him from this habit with no luck at all so I've pretty much given up trying. We do try to keep from peeing on buildings, though, if at all possible.

He sees my wife and I as the pack leaders, so there isn't any problems with dominance there. With other dogs, however, Zippy thinks that he's the boss regardless of their size. I don't know if this is because he is an unneutered male of if it's just a Chihuahua thing but he definitely tries to be the dominate one with all other dogs that he meets.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL at "humping maniac" thats just too funny. What did he hump? other dogs inatimate objects? legs?

What do they mark and how often? If there is only 1 male in the house, is there less marking? as the scent is always the same?

This is very true and how I ended up with a boy first. Thing is I much prefer to show a boy. In general they are just nicer animals. I'm sure lots of people won't agree with that, but whatever, I'm allowed an opinion.

But, the MARKING IS OBNOXIOUS. Since I have a snow white dog, I can't belly band him, because when he pees, he stains his fur. So...I just have basically removed all throw pillows and non washable surfaces from my house. he was 100% potty trained til puberty hit. Really, IMO, unless you are really dominant, which is NOT good for showing chis, it scares them, you aren't going to have much success getting him not to mark. So...just deal w/ it. lol...or get a dark colored dog so it can be belly banded all the time.

I don't find girls vs boys are easier to train...just depends on the individual dog.

TBH I most likely will never purchase another male. No point. Unless for some reason I can't finish Bryco, then I might get another male. But really your 1st dog is a right of passage, at least it is over here. After that, people are much more open to sell you something nice.
So when does the marking start, age wise? and does bryco mark alot? Do you have a old photo of bryco with a belly band on (Heard of them, never seen them on a chi) I would feel horrible leaving them on all day :l because my Chi's are only outside under supervision.

LOL oh Michelle...its so hard tho b'c they are so endearing at the same time ;) But yeah, it sounds like you totally delt w/ an exact carbon copy of my experience with Bryco so far.

But bottom line is, NO ONE with half a mind, will sell a decent bitch to a newbie. Just ain't happening. So if something sounds too good to be true, it is.
Thanks for being honest :) I am definately finding that this is the case, with at least 90% of the breeders over here. and if they will give me a female, she is probly not show quality, tho some have been honest in telling me that the pups are not show qual.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zippy is unneutered because of his heart murmur. He doesn't really mark in the house unless we leave something new and strange smelling on the floor. Otherwise, he leaves all of the furniture, etc alone. On walks outside, however, he wants to mark EVERYTHING! I originally tried dissuading him from this habit with no luck at all so I've pretty much given up trying. We do try to keep from peeing on buildings, though, if at all possible.

He sees my wife and I as the pack leaders, so there isn't any problems with dominance there. With other dogs, however, Zippy thinks that he's the boss regardless of their size. I don't know if this is because he is an unneutered male of if it's just a Chihuahua thing but he definitely tries to be the dominate one with all other dogs that he meets.
Does Zippy spend alot of the time in the house? how did you go about training him not to mark in the house? or is it more in his nature not to?

Good to hear that some dont mark inside :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I got really lucky w/ Bryco. It just so happened that he is turning out beautifully. I would definitely try to find a pup that is 6 months of age or so...

I don't have any pictures of poor little B in his belly bands haha. Like I said b'c he is white he doesn't wear them much. He is so neon white that even the tiniest smudge of dirt or pee stain shows up like a zit in the middle of your forehead LOL.

He definitely likes to hump too. But you kinda just get used to ignoring all that. It grossed me out at first but now its just like oh, you naughty little terd, calm down...

B started marking at 4 months. Its funny because only just now is he starting to appear physically mature (1 year old), but yeah, he started marking super early. They mark b'c they want everyone to know they own the world. You want a male show dog to be really macho and full of himself. So you have to build him up a lot. Really spoil him. But then, they feel even more entitled to mark. So its a double edged sword. The last thing you want is a timid chi in the show ring.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I originally got Leo to show, but we had him neutered almost a month ago. In general I much prefer the personality of male dogs, there are tons of exceptions of course, but Ive always found males make better pets. Mileys a great little girl and I wouldnt change her, but I would always choose a male over a female if I was looking for strictly a companion pet. We had Leo neutered because he had an undescended testicle which disqualifies him from being shown, but I was seriously considering doing it anyway because I was fed up with his CONSTANT marking, and he was very possessive and dominant about toys, his crate, even the water bowl. He is a much, much better pet already since being neutered. But, thats just one dog. We had an intact male dachshund growing up and he was a really great dog, we never had a single problem with him which was why I wasnt that concerned about having Leo intact. I was just way too optimistic/unrealistic.
The behavioral things I could have worked with, it was the marking that made me totally insane. I dont mind cleaning up pee when its on the tile, but we have a lot of carpeting in our house and I am STILL trying to get the pee stink out of it. If you have hardwood or something though the marking would be a little less offensive I think.
I guess it depends on what your goals are for showing. If youre just trying it for fun and dont care as much about winning and racking up points then you should be able to find a girl you can get started with. If youre really serious about showing it might make more sense to get a better quality male.
There arent really any guarantees with dogs, you may or may not have trouble with an intact male or a female. The puppy who looks like they have great show potential at 8 weeks may not develop into the perfect show pup after all. Or you might get into it and find showing isnt for you. Or you could choose a male purely because youre wanting a show pup and then he may have an undescended testicle and you cant show him at all ;)
The best advice I can give you is to choose what you really want in your next dog, and not to choose exclusively for showing, because its kind of a crap shoot.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does Zippy spend alot of the time in the house? how did you go about training him not to mark in the house? or is it more in his nature not to?
Unless he's on a walk with one of us, Zippy is in the house. We both work full time jobs too, so he is alone for 4 to 6 hours most week days with a free run of the house (although I think that he mostly just sleeps during these times!). He's a rescue dog and did quite a bit of marking when he first got here but we were diligent about scolding him when we caught him in the act and cleaning up the area thoroughly with a dilute bleach solution to both remove the smell and to deter him from going on the same spot again. Plus he's really good about using his wee pad when he does have to go. We have never crated him either. I dunno, maybe we were just lucky but it hasn't been that hard to get him on track! :)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I just want to say I LOVE My boy dogs and at this point you would have to PAY me to own a female.

That said, my boys are not intact, my oldest was but intact boys = nightmare.

Can I ask if you have really thought through the whole show thing? you can buy a lovely Chi and not show him/her?

I think many people set out to show and don't end up conceptualizing the money, the politics and the heartbreak when someone tells you that your gorgeous dog is not, because of whatever political reason.

If you want to breed you can do this successfully without showing! is that your motive?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got really lucky w/ Bryco. It just so happened that he is turning out beautifully. I would definitely try to find a pup that is 6 months of age or so...

I don't have any pictures of poor little B in his belly bands haha. Like I said b'c he is white he doesn't wear them much. He is so neon white that even the tiniest smudge of dirt or pee stain shows up like a zit in the middle of your forehead LOL.

He definitely likes to hump too. But you kinda just get used to ignoring all that. It grossed me out at first but now its just like oh, you naughty little terd, calm down...

B started marking at 4 months. Its funny because only just now is he starting to appear physically mature (1 year old), but yeah, he started marking super early. They mark b'c they want everyone to know they own the world. You want a male show dog to be really macho and full of himself. So you have to build him up a lot. Really spoil him. But then, they feel even more entitled to mark. So its a double edged sword. The last thing you want is a timid chi in the show ring.
This is so hard! LOL. I want a girl dog - but its unlikely I will get one, and If i do, likely to not be show quality. If I get a boy - lots to pic from, show quality, have to get used to marking.

I guess I have to weigh up how much I want to succeed at showing vs how much marking I can deal with. What would you do in my situation?

I originally got Leo to show, but we had him neutered almost a month ago. In general I much prefer the personality of male dogs, there are tons of exceptions of course, but Ive always found males make better pets. Mileys a great little girl and I wouldnt change her, but I would always choose a male over a female if I was looking for strictly a companion pet. We had Leo neutered because he had an undescended testicle which disqualifies him from being shown, but I was seriously considering doing it anyway because I was fed up with his CONSTANT marking, and he was very possessive and dominant about toys, his crate, even the water bowl. He is a much, much better pet already since being neutered. But, thats just one dog. We had an intact male dachshund growing up and he was a really great dog, we never had a single problem with him which was why I wasnt that concerned about having Leo intact. I was just way too optimistic/unrealistic.
The behavioral things I could have worked with, it was the marking that made me totally insane. I dont mind cleaning up pee when its on the tile, but we have a lot of carpeting in our house and I am STILL trying to get the pee stink out of it. If you have hardwood or something though the marking would be a little less offensive I think.
I guess it depends on what your goals are for showing. If youre just trying it for fun and dont care as much about winning and racking up points then you should be able to find a girl you can get started with. If youre really serious about showing it might make more sense to get a better quality male.
There arent really any guarantees with dogs, you may or may not have trouble with an intact male or a female. The puppy who looks like they have great show potential at 8 weeks may not develop into the perfect show pup after all. Or you might get into it and find showing isnt for you. Or you could choose a male purely because youre wanting a show pup and then he may have an undescended testicle and you cant show him at all ;)
The best advice I can give you is to choose what you really want in your next dog, and not to choose exclusively for showing, because its kind of a crap shoot.
Yeah, thats the other thing, I pushed to get the ok for another dog, if i get a male that turns out to have an undescended Testicle then Im out before I start, and I would have to push for another dog. I do want to show more for hobby and interest, rather than awards and such. I guess Im answring my own question now lol

Unless he's on a walk with one of us, Zippy is in the house. We both work full time jobs too, so he is alone for 4 to 6 hours most week days with a free run of the house (although I think that he mostly just sleeps during these times!). He's a rescue dog and did quite a bit of marking when he first got here but we were diligent about scolding him when we caught him in the act and cleaning up the area thoroughly with a dilute bleach solution to both remove the smell and to deter him from going on the same spot again. Plus he's really good about using his wee pad when he does have to go. We have never crated him either. I dunno, maybe we were just lucky but it hasn't been that hard to get him on track! :)
Sounds like you certianly did draw the lucky straw with Zippy then :hello1::eek:

Zippy has an undescended testicle too! Is this common in Chihuahuas?
I also know of 2 Chi's with this... maybe it is?

I just want to say I LOVE My boy dogs and at this point you would have to PAY me to own a female.

That said, my boys are not intact, my oldest was but intact boys = nightmare.

Can I ask if you have really thought through the whole show thing? you can buy a lovely Chi and not show him/her?

I think many people set out to show and don't end up conceptualizing the money, the politics and the heartbreak when someone tells you that your gorgeous dog is not, because of whatever political reason.

If you want to breed you can do this successfully without showing! is that your motive?
I really do want to show lol. I used to do horse shows when I was younger and I loved it :) Im also used to the politics/attitudes that can sometimes come with showing, and I am also prepared for people/judges opinions lol. Even with Fiddle - I think she is a doll. But Im sure they would drag her over hot coals with reasons why she wouldnt win - But I would be prepared for it, for example: I know Fiddle's snount is long and legs are to long. And money wise, if something comes up over time and I cant afford it, well that that lol. I do want to breed, but showing is more interesting to me at the moment, as a hobby at least :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I think undescended testicles are fairly common for any breed. My mom got her mini dachshund from a breeder who kept him to show but he ended up having an undescended testicle so she offered him to a pet home.
If you prefer a female, I would get a female. I think it just makes sense to choose your new puppy with what you want in a pet first, in a show dog second. You should be able to find a girl who is to standard that you can get started on showing with. If its something you love and you arent able to get where you want with her, you will have the experience top breeders are looking for when they do have an extra nice female to place in a home with full registration later.
Im in that boat now! I would still like to try showing, but to do it Ill need another puppy, and getting Drew to agree to adding Leo was a BATTLE. Id love a tiny, and there are a few coat patterns/ colors that I really love that I dont have yet. If I have the chance to get a little girl who has what Im looking for but isnt right or available to a show home, I would go ahead anyway. Since Im not serious about showing either, I want my next dog to meet my needs as a pet more than Im worried about show potential.
Maybe another option is looking for an adult female? Not sure if youd be willing to go with an adult rather than a puppy, but occasionally breeders will have a show quality adult female who didnt get as far as theyd like in showing so they just dont have the room in their program to keep her. You might have to wait awhile for the right one to come up though. And I get the impression that chis arent nearly as readily available there as they are here in the US, that must limit your options a bit.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I really do want to show lol. I used to do horse shows when I was younger and I loved it :) Im also used to the politics/attitudes that can sometimes come with showing, and I am also prepared for people/judges opinions lol. Even with Fiddle - I think she is a doll. But Im sure they would drag her over ho
So funny, I approach this whole dog showing thing with the background of having shown and competed with horses and to me it's night and day?
There are some politics with horses but not in the same capacity I don't think.
I rode and showed hunter/jumper, there is only so much you can fudge with a horse and either you make your fence or you don't.

What did you show?
Granted I am in Canada and you are in Australia! :lol:
Perhaps there is a difference, and I don't know a blessed thing about Western saddle.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
He would hump, Yoshi, his dog bed and the bigger stuffed animals for our big dogs and even my Great Dane on occasions, LOL.

Chibi started marking at about 5 months old. He was humping when we got him at 4 months.

I prefer males. I have had female dogs of different breeds in the past and just never had the relationships that I have with my boys. Males are more loving in my opinion but it is probably based on the dog itself. I do not have any dominance issues with my Chi's but neither are intact, before Chibi was neutered we didnt have a dominance issue either. I do have issues from time to time with my Dane challenging me for pack leadership but he is from a VERY stubborn line, he always loses in the end though as I am a strong pack leader :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I had 5, yep 5, intact males at once. Never had a dominance problem. Did and still do have a marking problem. Because a few of mine were neutered so late in life, it has been very hard to break the marking habit. Billy never marks and Gonzo and Pepper seldom mark. I do let Smoke and Gonzo into the rest of the house to visit with my girls in the afternoon, but only with a belly band on. It helps me a lot that the dog rooms floor is tile. But I do wash blankets and dog beds a LOT. I have noticed since neutering, the marking has reduced a lot. Only Tico is still intact and he marks up a storm all by himself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts