Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued my chi girl molly on the 19th. She is a pretty good girl and we have bonded quickly with her. We dont know much of her history and are still learning her little quirks. They didn't have a name for her from her previous owners (she was dumped in a night "emergency" kennel) and we gave her the name molly. She doesn't know sit or come and it seems like I am talking to a brick wall. Now, I know I have to give her time and teach her quite a bit...but I am just getting worried about the fact that she just doesn't seem to respond to the training I have tried ( I have raised many big dog from puppy-hood to adult and all have been very well trained) When we tell her "no" she just stares at us, when we call her name (treat ready for positive reinforcement) she just stands there...Will this get better with time? My husband seems to think she's a chihuahua and she just wont ever "learn" or want to "preform" things like that for us! I don't want to believe that just because she's a small dog she cant be well behaved and learn basic commands!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes it will get better with time some take longer than others to learn things she's also got to learn to trust you it's evident her previous owners didn't teach her any commands so you will need to teach her them as if you would teach a puppy!! Chihuahuas are ridiculously smart though and learn ery quickly if you find a wy that's good for them!! One of mine knows over 12 tricks and commands the other has taken longer to train but she has a totally different personality!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
She can definitely learn! The biggest challenge is remembering that with a new dog, you're usually starting from scratch. If you want to teach her her name, gather up a bunch of small treats and head to a quiet calm room with her. Say her name in an upbeat, cheerful voice, and if she looks at you, immediately give her a treat. If she doesn't look, make a little kissy noise to pat your knee... something to get her to turn her head. When she does, treat her. Try to only say her name once rather than repeating it if you don't get an immediate head turn (make those other noises, instead). Try to do this for 3-5 minutes, 2-3 times a day. I bet you after a few days, she'll know her name quite well!

Every dog is different and training each one can require playing with different approaches, but I do find that positive reinforcement training is the most effective with the most dogs. If you want to teach her 'come' and 'sit', remember that before she can perform the command, you have to slowly and clearly show her what it means. Until she understands that, she won't be able to learn the behavior.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gracie was 5 months old when we rescued her, and I have to admit, she had me ready to pull my hair out for a few days, but once she settled in and got used to us (and our other dog and cat) everything went just fine. She ignored me so much that I thought she might have hearing problems!

She's one of the smartest (read: manipulative) little dogs I've ever had the pleasure of owning!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
She is a lucky pup to have been adopted. Maybe she wasn't trained by her previous owner. She also could have been used to a language other than english--although NO is pretty standard...lol.

stay consisitant, good luck chi-s are very intelligent

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Are you sure she doesn't have hearing problems? Have you tried to clap your hands to startle her and see if she has good hearing? If her hearing is fine, don't give up on training her. She could be really confused since she's had a rough life until now. Just be patient and you will be rewarded two-fold with her-I Promise!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw glad you all adopted her. It sounds to me that her last owners didn't do a thing with her. Funny I'm going through the same situation with a stray dog we have here, he just a big o DUH lol Bless his heart. It's not his fault though because his owners obviously didn't spend any quality time with him or try to train him to "know" right from wrong and everything. So i'm sure that's what your little Molly is going through as well. It will get better, just don't give up on her! Also any little thing she does let her know how proud you are! Show it with excitement and treats! She will catch on then and think --hey this is a good thing and I'm suppose to do this or that....Good luck! She's very lucky to have been adopted by somebody who cares!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Are you sure she doesn't have hearing problems? Have you tried to clap your hands to startle her and see if she has good hearing? If her hearing is fine, don't give up on training her. She could be really confused since she's had a rough life until now. Just be patient and you will be rewarded two-fold with her-I Promise!!!
I agree about testing Her hearing.Otherwise,just be extra patient with Her :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with Lisa! If her hearing is fine, then definitely keep working with her. Patience and consistency is the key. :) Sometimes it takes awhile for them to settle in. She's been there a short time, so she's not only learning a new home, but new people, new routines, and you don't know what her previous owners put her through or if they ever did anything other than dump her. I would say within 6 months, you'll be amazed at how smart she is and how much a part of the family she has become. :) Great job on adopting!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts