Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Sophie, obviously lol. But I've been considering getting a little boy for her to play with, and dog shows have always interested me. My dad used to do it with his walkers/blue ticks he bred.

As for me, all my dogs growing up either came from him, or from the newspaper, and Sophie was from the shelter. So I have literally zero knowledge on any of this. I wouldn't even know how or where to start looking for a reputable breeder with show quality pups!

And I don't know anything about the AKC, or about showing. Or how to find out.

Can anybody help me out here??

·
Registered
382 Posts
If I were you, I'd go to shows and talk to some of the Chi owners about how to get started. That would also be a good way to find some breeders that sell show quality pups.

Unfortunately, I'm not much help there. But good luck! Showing sounds like it'd be loads of fun.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
You need to get to know some breeders. They don't have to be Chihuahua breeders, but it really helps to have a mentor to help you at the beginning. I got involved in showing when I was 14, because I had a Saturday job in a pet shop and the owners bred German Shepherds. Showing is a very expensive hobby, and requires a lot of travelling. which is why it is good to go along with someone else and get acquainted with the process and the people before you start looking for your own dog.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Good advice. Go to a dog show and meet some breeders. Some good ones are on the web: Rafina chihuahuas, Windsong chi's, Jem's chi's are a few you can look up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with everyone. Go to dog shows, meet breeders, etc. AKC has some great books about dog shows in there online store too. I've shown dogs since I was 16. I always handled larger breeds like Siberian Huskies, Australian Shepherds, and several others. Never any Chis. I'm looking to get my own show quality Chi soon too!

Showing dogs isn't cheap. It's a lot of work for dog hair, sore legs, early mornings and 25cent ribbons, but dang is it worth it! You can learn about how to enter dog shows at websites like onofrio dog shows and infodog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts