Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I was just wondering if anyone else's chis exhibited similar behavior... When I leave the boys alone for extended periods of time, I have an x-pen that I purchased on sale at Petsmart. I believe it is 6x6 ft. (I guess I am still a little over protective and worry about them chewing electrical wires, etc.) I leave their crate in the pen, as well as a small bowl of food and water, right outside the crate. I also put a small blanket outside the crate, and then there is an open area for them to play. Whenever I get home, they are all three snuggled up inside the crate within the pen and the food (and usually water) is untouched. When I open the pen and we are done greeting each other, I leave the pen open... After a while they will take turns going in and munching on the food.

I don't really have any issue with this, I just thought it was interesting and was wondering if other chi's acted similarly.

;)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have heard of a few dogs who won't eat if their owners aren't present. Don't know why, but even at the doggy daycare I used to work for, there were certain dogs we had to sit in the pens with to get them to eat. Didn't have to do anything except just BE there. Guess you could say they're just minding their manners, waiting to eat until you're back LOL! =D

·
Registered
78 Posts
My boy doesn't eat when I'm not home either, although I always leave him food and water anyway.

I also keep him in an x-pen for now - although once he gets better with potty training, and stops fighting with the cat, he will get more freedom eventually. Anyway, my husband set up a webcam in front of the pen so I can watch him while I'm at work. It looks like, when I'm gone, he spends the whole time sleeping, so I guess he isn't awake long enough to get hungry. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
One big dog doesn't care who's around when she eats and the other one won't eat without me. I'm boarding them next month and I know it will probably be two days of adjustment before she eats as she did that when I first got her and each time I've left her with a pet sitter. She'll eat eventually though, it's just stressful.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
291 Posts
Our ol gal Luna eats mostly late at night, we call it the midnight munchies. LOL!! She always eats after we go to bed. Muffin on the other hand eats all the time picking at her food here and there but eats most of it first thing in the morn after a potty run and then again late after noon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts