Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new, and learning all the time. This site is a great help. Simcha is a 1 1/2 year old Chi mix neutered male, predominantly Chi. After leaving a 'deposit' on the ground, he will frequently kick dirt back vigorously with his hind legs, as if to bury it. We will often be hit by flying poop while attempting to pick up with the plastic bag. Sometimes his kicking is so artful that you can't find it all.

He has a tendency to bark at larger dogs he sees while walking with us (always on a leash). The aggressive barking is often accompanied by urinating and the dirt kicking maneuver. This appears to be an expression of dominance, done of course from a safe distance. He tends to not do this when meeting dogs approximately his own size, where he resorts to the usual social sniffing behavior.

Am I observing a typical Chi trait?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
The dirt kicking is to spread their scent. Most dogs I have seen, especially males, do it.

The urination is marking and is definitely a dominance thing. He is marking his territory and letting other dogs know he is in charge.

Not just a typical chi trait but a typical male dog (and some female dogs) trait.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I love to watch my female chi spread her scent after she pottys, but she never sends poop flying through the air!! (Haha--that is so funny!!). This is definitely typical "DOG" behaviour. Dogs have scent glands on the pads of their feet & when they drag their paws across the grass, it leaves their scent behind letting the other dogs know this is "their" territory, so stay out!!!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
yes, its scent marking....but I also think it is done for amusement value too! At least judging by how much more scratching and jumping around Adam does when he has something to really kick about, like dried grass clippings or leaves!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It's only ever been my "spunky" boys who've done this, those who think they're really hot stuff and like to show off/strut their stuff. My docile, placid boys have never bothered, it's almost like they roll their eyes and say, "Oh here we go again with this macho display of nothingness!"

·
Registered
363 Posts
Zeus will do it when we play and I stop doing something he likes! His back legs kick and it's hilarious. I've never seen him do it after going potty though.

-hyw

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Angel doesn't do it, but my first chi (mixed with poodle) did it. also, the barking! he shared our house with a medium sized mutt (55lbs), and a cockapoo (15lbs) - - but he was definitely the dominant one!

Angel is the dominant one now, also. But he only has to share with a golden -very submissive golden!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts