Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
:D :D :D lol

Rache I think you just chuck her in and let her see what happens pixie would be my only concern but shell just say her piece and back down this one is younger than her and it's normally an age thing and I don't think poppy would care you cab just feed poppy lol but yeah no diff to normal!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It won't I think as long as her personality fits in somewhere then it'll be fine if she's feisty then I don't think it's a good idea to bring er in but as she lives with a large pack now I think shell blend in and tbh I think pixie is v good at accepting others she's never been bothered with daisy just ignores er

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As she's from a large pack anyway that's what I'm hoping. Pixie is a little madam. Like you said I'll just give poppy lots of treats and she prob won't even notice her hahaha she's such a little piggy. Billy won't be bothered as he's just happy about everyone he meets. Not to sure about darcy now hes maturing a bit more.

Oh what to do what to do!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hahaha poppy makes me die she is something else lol darcy will be fine she's a girl therefore he is happy!!! I think it'll be fine!! Call her ;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I was SO nervous about introducing Maya in the pack...she was 1 1/2yo when we brought her in. We began by a pack walk...introducing them as they are walking in the same direction. We did a girl walk first because it was late & dark & I was nervous so I figured splitting them up would be easier. The girl walk went really well...it was more like a quick stroll. The boy walk...we accidentally introduced them "head on" & all hell broke loose. LOL So I had my hubby bring the boys back inside, he heald Maya & I brought the boys out being sure not to do it head on again. (that eye contact was a killer--my poor neighbors were outside & thought someone was getting killed! hahaha)

Anyway, after a good peaceful short walk with the boys & Maya we brought Maya into the office & brought one of the others in at a time to sniff & interact. Then we let them all in. I always keep my eye right on Milo for the first few days & correct any odd glares because he has a history of attacking newcomers...at least the first couple we brought into the house. But he really is great now & hasn't had any issues the past couple pups we've added. I still don't want to give him a chance so I'm always right on top of it. :)

I always say the best way for an introduction is a nice pack walk on neutral ground. At the very least I'd introduce them outside on neutral ground unless your pack is really great about visitors. My crew gives a loud "greeting" & I didn't want to freak Maya out & give her a bad first impression so that's why we opted for the walks. With puppies it's easier to introduce inside. We always did that inside & a seperate room & introduce on at a time.

Good luck at any rate. How very exciting for you!! You'd better get a pic or something up so we can see this potential new addition! ;)

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aww thanks Heather. That's helped alot. I was thinking of maybe a nice walk, mind you with the weather here at the moment that's not looking like an option! It's chucking it down here!

Do yours ever have squabbles? My pixie is top dog and I just worry about her, Shea such a feisty little thing

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
**sigh** We never had any issues with squabbles until Maya. LOL And even still it was only like twice until recently. Mari is nearing her heat & we've had to break up several bad squabbles. The first time I came home from work in the morning to Ivy spazzing out & hubby holding Mari who had blood all down her chest. :shock: It looked worse than it was & the only reason why there as blood is because they had to be pulled apart (Ivy & hubby were in panic mode). Ivy was alone with the pups when it happened (hubby was still in bed) & freaked out (which unfortunately fuels the fire) & tried to split them up. Poor Maya was dazed & confused because Mari had just gone after her so when Ivy went to split them up Maya ended up biting Ivy. It wasn't her fault...

Anyway, they are typically ok but there has been a few other episodes & thankfully I've been here to correct them (Cesar Millan way) which has helped. Last night I accidentally stepped on Mayas food so she yelped & ran by Mari & Mari nipped her neck like she does & it just took a firm verbal command & me approaching her for her to stop & roll on her back. Before nothing phased her & she was like a strong magnet to Maya. Hormones are a powerful thing!! Maya needs to be spayed & I'm hoping that will simmer down the competition. But technically Mari has mated with all the boys (even though they are all neutered--well Marley wasn't when he did but that's another story :roll: ) so where her hormones are wacky at the moment she's feeling a bit protective of them.

Other than that & Marley & Maxie getting into grumbling fits on occasion (which I don't see EVER escalating--they've always done that) everyone gets along wonderful. You may have a few issues with Pixie & another female. Is Pixie going to be spayed? That would probably help tremendously... I always heard hormones can make them crazy but until you see it you sort of blow it off. LOL Mari has NEVER been nasty to another dog so it was very shocking. I have also been working on knocking her down a few pegs as far as dominant goes as well. No more sleeping in bed at night, no more coming freely into my lap, I'll even block her from coming on the furniture. Maya too because Maya quite frankly asks for the "attacks" at times. She forever has her head up Mari's *hoo hoo* & "challenges" her with her body language. So she is also getting knocked down a few pegs so to speak. ;)

Sorry to ramble! I never expected any squabbling in my pack & it sucks but it's one of those things I know we can over come. It's only been a couple weeks & we've made great progress... Darned females & their hormones & attitudes! LOL

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
How exciting another new baby.I hope it all works out for you i'm sure it will,even when you get another puppy it's always in the back of your mind "Am i doing the right thing,will they get on ?Only ever had puppies so i'm no good .

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Heather you forget rache has another female just poppy is younger!!

This one is younger too so I don't swe it being a problem!! It's bad but pixie makes me laugh I think you have to meet her to understand haha Billy and daisy play well together but Billy is pixies best friend so she chases him barking and nips his feet when he played with daisy haha funny

I agree with Michelle it's so scary even with a baby puppy it's hard because you don't know how it'll go but as long as you know your packs personalities which Rachel is a pro on an you get a personality that will blend well it's fine I think just if you have a calm pack and bring in an unstable dog all hell would break loose

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm so nervous about the whole thing. I'd hate for it to all go wrong.

I understand you'd be nervous, and really, I don't have any advice. I'm just jealous.... I'd love another one. But with all the experience here, I'm sure that any issues you have can be sorted out. In all likelihood, someone ELSE has had the same problem and can talk you through it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yeah, I remember Poppy...but Poppy was young coming into the pack (and still is young) & it was easy for her to "slide" into her place whereas this female is a bit older & already has HER place in the pack she is in. Kwim? She is also getting close to her full maturity (as far as her reproduction system goes) & will be reaking of hormones herself. LOL I'm not saying there WILL be problems--there very well may not be. But it happens. :)

I just know I was shocked when Mari turned into a little devil dog during PMS. haha She typically is a happy go lucky pup with everyone! Don't get me wrong...she still sleeps with Maya, cleans her, etc. I just remember how I used to get with PMS in my younger years...you just want to rip someones eyeballs out. I relate that to how Mari gets feeling sometimes. ROFL!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hahaha you make me laugh!!! I said yesterday I wonder if shre had her season yet? She's lovely if she had fur I'd like her lol

Exciting times again

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
what we do is arm ourselves with a water spray [just in case] and have new dog on lead in lounge and just let all our others in to meet and greet it has always worked so far with us. good luck x

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
On thing I do is let them smell each other through either a puppy pen or a baby gate etc, and taking them on walks etc helps. Make sure to give all dogs equal amounts of attention so the older ones don't feel 'jyped' for the new dog coming in.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have never had much trouble introducing a new dog to the pack. I sit with the new dog on my lap and lower it so the others can sniff a few times. If the one being sniffed is feeling comfortable, after the third or fourth time of being smelled, I let them loose and usually then it's play time. It did take longer for them to accept Twiggy, I believe it's because her not walking on all fours and the fact she is not spayed. She moved different so they really didn't know what to make of her. I did have one incidnet of Xena rolling her over to tell her place in the pack, but she did not get hurt, just scared. Now she is part of the pack and accepted by all.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You are very lucky! I dont have much advice as weve only added puppies, but I can definitely relate to the worry and anxiety over whether youre making the right decision for your family and your current dogs. I know I always get really stressed after I decide to get another pet, and I really worry how it will work with my animals. I think the bottom line though is that dogs really are pack animals, and they can adjust to a new addition to the pack. Even though she is an older pup, shes still quite young and should be able to adjust and find her position in a new pack.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts