Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I will be getting one of Boone's cousins in the summer and was wondering what the best way to introduce them would be? I'm hoping to get a female, as he's quite the alpha male. I know it's early to be asking about this, but I'd like to have a plan well before she comes home.

Thanks,

Tara

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry Tara, I don't mean to hijack your post but I would love to know the answer to this too!
I have been offered a wee (very wee.. a little over 2lb 6oz ) two year old girl. I would like to know the best way to introduce her to my "Muttley Crew". I am confident that my wee Maximus will be fine with her, but I am not sure how the two girls will take to her as they are both currently trying to vie for the position of top dog at the moment.

Poppet is now a whopping 4kg, and Muffin is a little under 3kg. Max is 2.3kg, so all a lot bigger than the new baby and all three are approx a year old, so younger but bigger.
Will be looking for all the help and advice I can get too :)
Thanks all

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
The best way to introduce them is to do so on a neutral territory. Find a park or another place other than your home or the home of the new Chi. This way they can get to know each other in a relaxed environment without having territorial issues ;-) They say to do so without leashes but I am not sure about that, I am sure someone else will chime in soon.

Good luck to you both :)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I have a little one, Twiggy. When I got her, she was 2 pounds 6 oz. She is now 2 years old and weighs 2 pounds 12 oz. She runs around with no problem with all my pack including my Bouncer, who weighs 55 pounds. She will engage in play sometimes and other times will hop in a bed to get out of the way. And she is handicapped, only uses three legs most the time. I introduce each new dog by having the new one sit on my lap until all the other dogs calm down. I then lower the new dog so they can have a sniff for a few seconds. I repeat every few minutes until everyone is settled down, then release. Now I did do it a bit different with Delilah. I don't think she has been around a lot of dogs and since she was attacked and hurt by a big dog, she was too nervious at first so I put her in the dog pen and worked from there. After a week, the dog pen is down and she has a hidey hole that she lays in under an end table in the corner by my desk. I find that introducing a new dog goes quite smoothly in my house.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Many thanks for the advice :)
I think we may try both methods...First meeting on neutral ground, then move on to the method Pam uses.
Pam, how old is Twiggy now? Do you think Button will grow any bigger as she is already two years old?
I am so excited about bringing my new baby home, but I really want to make sure that things go smoothly as she has been through a lot in her short life. She is a "semi-rescue" in that she was rescued as a pup, then re-homed with the condition that if needed the pup would be returned to my Max's breeder (who recued her). Her owner suffered a stroke and the wee girl was given to someone else who knew nothing about Chi's and was rather abusive. She went through 2 other homes before Max's breeder tracked her down. Button has now been offered to me, naturally I accepted LOL. Ours will be her forever home and I want to make sure we start out right for all our Fur-babies.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Twiggy is two years old. She won't be getting any bigger, but her weight fluctuates between 2 pounds 12 oz to 2 pounds 15 oz. I don't think Button will get any bigger at 2 years old. Poor little girl. Twiggy had a rough life before I got her, too. Her former owners ran her over with their brand new Cadillac and never took her to the vets. Said they couldn't afford it. She had two broken hips and a broken pelvis. The pound finally removed her two months later. The owners told them they wanted her back if she got better because of the money they could get for her babies!! *shakes head* She gets around really good on three legs and is a feisty little diva. She's the first to bark at visitors and cats. It is so funny seeing her squaring off and barking at my 6 foot 3, 280 pound brother. She has no fear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pam what a terrible start Twiggy had! I cannot fathom how anyone could be so callous :(
I am so glad she has you now. It is amazing how well dogs can cope with disabilities, I had a Yorkie many years ago, she had three legs and was a speedy little girl who could out run my Rottie LOL.
Button also seems to be a fiesty wee girl. The first time we went to visit, Button was first out the door and barking up a storm at my husband and I. My husband has since been back (he is helping her foster-mum fix a leak in the roof) and Button tried to see him off the property...and he is 6'6" LOL.
The first time either of us tried to hold her, she tried desperately to leap out of our arms (very scary! You can't let her jump but you can't squeeze her to stop her jumping!)
I managed to calm her down and after about ten minutes was sound asleep in my arms...where she proceded to snore her wee head off for the next half hour :)
She seems to have allergies as she snores a lot...even when awake. So I am thinking of investigating a change of diet, possibly to all raw, but know very little about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries ChiWOWa :)

Thank you all for your advice. I hope that things will go smoothly. I'm sure he'll be more curious, than anything else.

Pam, I'm sorry to hear that Twiggy had such a rough start. I'm glad that she was fortunate enough to have found her way to someone like you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts