Chihuahua People Forum banner

Introducing Beans

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Beans 
#1 ·
HI everyone! I just adopted a 3 year old female long hair tricolor from a breeder last week. Things are going really well with her. She has def taken to me better than my husband but he is working to build trust with her.

The breeder I adopted her from had bought her for her breeding program and she simply would not take and have babies so she was "of no use". Pretty sad.

Well the breeder debarks all of her dogs that she is going to breed so Beans is debarked as wel.

The breeder told me that I should use exptreme caution if she ever has to be put under at the vet that it could cause complications for her with intibation. Has anyone had these issues?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Awww! She is pretty. I call my little guy "Hotchi" my little Hotchi bean or i just call him beans lol
If i ever did get back into breeding, for one, i would never debark my dogs. That is just cruel and unusual and i see no way of justifying it unless it is life threatening :angryfire:
For two, i could never see any of my dogs as 'useless' because they cant reproduse. Someone needs to send her on a moral guilt trip. I was always taught "quality not quantity". One outstanding liter is better than 3 or four average ones.

Ok, just had to get that out real quick ;)

Your little girl beautiful and i am happy to here she is with someone who actually will see her as a family member first, and not just breeding stock. Congrats on your new little girl! Chihuahuas have a way of changing your life for ever.... in the very best way possible :cloud9:

#9 ·
What a cutie! Welcome to CP!

Or maybe they don't have nice neighbors. :(

Its when tissue is removed from the vocal chords so their bark is not loud. It sounds as if the have a cold, and their bark almost sounds whispered. Totally unnecessary, imo.
It should be unnecessary, but what about those that have neighbors who complain about barking dogs? Fortunately, it hasn't happened to me, but it has happened to a family member before. :(

#11 ·
Welcome, she's beautiful.
I do not agree with debarking. I do believe that it is possible to train a dog not to bark or at least minimize it!! It takes a lot of hard work and not much time to "sit!" You must get up, off your butt, go to the dog, and give a command that lets the dog know to stop the barking. An alert bark is always welcome. But then they should be quiet once it's been checked out.
Angel likes to bark, but I can get him to stop.
Even today!!! My son stopped by our shop with one of his dogs. A doberman mix, not much bigger than my golden. And Angel went off the deep end!!! He did the chihuahua "scream" for a good 30 seconds!! In a business setting, that is like eternity!! After about 5 minutes, he stopped barking totally. But my son's poor dog...she was shaking!!
Congratulations and again welcome!!

#13 ·
Sorry I havent replied for so long. Things have been crazy busy for us with moving into a new apartment and with the business. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Beans is doing well. We are fighting with her socialization issues. She is still pretty scared of my husband. He has been feeding her and walking her in the am, giving her treats.

We are wondering how long it usually takes for the little guys to open up? We take her into our retail store and she hangs out well. Many of our customers will bring her treats and make sure that they get to say hi to her before us!

#14 ·
Welcome! :)
What a pretty girl you got there!
She is lucky to have found you.
I hope you enjoy the forum!

#15 ·
What a cutie!!! Glad you got her away from that breeder - I've never even heard of debarking before... never knew people actually did that.
I hope she has a long and happy life with you. :) Welcome to the forum!

Has she been having problems with all men or just your husband? Stella is a bit shy around men in general - some more than others. Just remember to take it slow and she'll come around. :)

#17 ·
It's with all men in general and the fact I have a 250 pound Hawaiian for a hubby lol. He's genle and calm with her. I just got a call from animal control where the breeder is located and she is being investigated for being a puppy mill. Hopefully i hear back from them soon and find out what will happen.

So that explains why she is fearful and such. Well onward and upward

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.