Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a beautiful long coat named Archie, he is 5 whos very friendly and gets along with everyone. My 17 year old shihtzu passed a month ago so when we are ready we will be getting a Chi puppy. My question is, what gender do we get that he will get along with? and how do you introduce them as Archie is very loved and sleeps in our bed. Has anyone had an experience of their older chi meeting a puppy :)
Thankyou
IMG_20200402_101723.jpg

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Archie looks like a little gentleman sunning himself on the patio.. He's so handsome.
I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved little shihtzu, we have experienced that pain.

We have 3 chis. Neko is 16, Buster is 15, and Mick is 3. We were concerned about adding a baby (Mick) when our other boys were 13 and 12 years old. Our thought of losing both of our older boys close together and having no furbabies motivated us to add Mick to our family. Buster accepted Mick very quickly and 3 years later, they are still fine together. Neko is a grumpier boy by nature and was not as welcoming to a puppy. He keeps his distance and let's Mick know he doesn't tolerate any "youngster" behavior... I share all of this to say I think it all depends on the chis involved. I would do it again and have never regretted bringing Mick into our family. He is much loved!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So sorry for your loss. We lost our 16 year old chi to heart failure last summer and I still get teary daily...never easy. They seem to suggest the best mix is a female to male, or two males. We have had 2-3 dogs at the time...usually only one female in the mix. Almost always at the beginning there is grumbling from the resident pooches but without our reactions they eventusssly become a pack and get along no problem. The first couple of months are the most turbulent but they always seem to find the way. Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts