Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I wanted to ask something. When we do have our Chi we want to bring her with us when we go rock crawling. We do Remote Control Rock Crawling and its very chill and the people are awesome. I want her to be ok with the crawlers and not scared of them or freak out. They are not noisey at all but I have seen dogs walk past the comps and man are they going nuts barking. How do you introduce Chis to new things without freaking them out?

I was thinking about just leaving them out near her for her to check out in the house and get used to them and also running them in the house (we already do lol) to get her used to them. If she does bark or go after them do we correct her or do we console her?

Sorry if I seem stupid I have only had giant pit bulls lol no little guys in my life

Tiff

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You need to de-sensitize her to whatever they are. ( I have no clue what you're talking about, btw )

Leave them out. Let her sniff them. Put treats near them. Put treats around them. Put treats ON them. Get her to associate everything GOOD with them.

And most of all.....take it slow. You'll end up getting the results you want much faster if you don't try and cut corners than you will if you push too hard.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hmmm I don't know what they are either, but I am assuming they are like a robot thing & that maybe though they are not noisy to us, they may omit a higher pitch sound that dogs can hear & that is why the dogs react to them?

If that is the case you will need to do everything Tink suggested while operating them as well as while they are off to maybe desensitse her to them. I would start as soon as you get her home so that they are as familiar as all the other things in her new environment.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Hmmm I don't know what they are either, but I am assuming they are like a robot thing & that maybe though they are not noisy to us, they may omit a higher pitch sound that dogs can hear & that is why the dogs react to them?

If that is the case you will need to do everything Tink suggested while operating them as well as while they are off to maybe desensitse her to them. I would start as soon as you get her home so that they are as familiar as all the other things in her new environment.
Just so we're clear, you should start desensitizing your dog to them long BEFORE they're running. Just get used to them being around, don't turn them on while your dog's around.....not for a while anyway, not until she's as comfortable with them being in her environment as she is with the couch, or her crate, or any other normal or everyday things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys!! Here is a pic of one that we have
They are not very loud to us but they might emit a higher pitch sound.

The RC cars are always in the house for storage so she will be around them before we run them. They do go very slow.

I think the dogs that are on their walks by the park just bark their heads off becuase there are 10+ grown men playing with overpriced toys on a rock where they normally are not there. :D

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
So THAT'S a rock crawler! :D

In order to desensitize your dog to them, once she's used to them being around, obviously you're going to have to turn them on. The first time you do, she may freak. I would suggest having them be in a different room from her, and get her used to the far-away sound first, before she has to deal with the up-close sound. It's OK if she notices the sound (pricks up her ears, looks alert) as long as she doesn't react to it. As soon as she notices, but before she reacts, treat her. Keep doing that. Feed her her food when the sound is happening. Do everything you can to make sure the sound is just one more "normal" part of her environment.

I know I'm repeating myself, but take it slow. If you don't, it will take a LOT more time to UNDO her fright.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So THAT'S a rock crawler! :D

In order to desensitize your dog to them, once she's used to them being around, obviously you're going to have to turn them on. The first time you do, she may freak. I would suggest having them be in a different room from her, and get her used to the far-away sound first, before she has to deal with the up-close sound. It's OK if she notices the sound (pricks up her ears, looks alert) as long as she doesn't react to it. As soon as she notices, but before she reacts, treat her. Keep doing that. Feed her her food when the sound is happening. Do everything you can to make sure the sound is just one more "normal" part of her environment.

I know I'm repeating myself, but take it slow. If you don't, it will take a LOT more time to UNDO her fright.
Thanks so much for the info!! Yea we are nerds lol. We will take it slow with the little one and get him to know that they are just a part of life :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts