Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what I need to think about when introducing Mylo and the new puppy? She will be 12 weeks on Saturday when we get her and Mylo will be 21 weeks. She's small but sturdy and has an outgoing personality. Mylo is curious and outgoing in most situations but a bit scared and very submissive when it comes to other dogs.

What things will I need to think about or get for her? Mylo currently sleeps in a 30" crate and holds his bladder during the night. She's used to sleeping in a gated area under the stairs with the other dogs and a puppy pad. She usually goes once during the night. I thought the best solution may be to put them both in a large playpen. Then they don't have to sleep together but can and there will be room for a puppy pad. I've ordered this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125-125-58cm-Fabric-Pet-Play-Pen-Soft-Playpen-Run-Cage-For-DOG-PUPPY-CAT-RABBIT-/261093384256?
pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3cca60e040#ht_4866wt_922

I'm going to order a carrier for when I take both of them on the bus on a Friday. I have two food bowls. At least one toy specifically for her. She will be coming with some of her own food so I will be able to wean her onto ZP. I have 3 beds and several blankets. Anything I need to think about?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I wouldn't put them together at first.Maybe put the crates together till you know how they get on and can trust them together

·
Registered
240 Posts
When you first introduce them to eachother do it on neutral ground ie. A park or somewhere that is not 'home' to Mylo. Let them get used to eachother play etc for a while. You DEFINITELY should get her her own crate, her own toys, feeding bowls etc so there's no territorial issues - trust me your sweet little darling baby will turn into the devil in a split second if you don't introduce them in the best way and if he feels she's taking 'his stuff' so best to avoid confrontation best way you can. For the first few weeks feed them in seperate areas and place his food down first, let him out of his cage first etc oh and pt something that smells of you in her crate so she doesn't cry during the night - reward him when he kisses/plays with her :) this should ensure a relatively smooth introduction into the family xxx

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
When you first introduce them to eachother do it on neutral ground ie. A park or somewhere that is not 'home' to Mylo. Let them get used to eachother play etc for a while. You DEFINITELY should get her her own crate, her own toys, feeding bowls etc so there's no territorial issues - trust me your sweet little darling baby will turn into the devil in a split second if you don't introduce them in the best way and if he feels she's taking 'his stuff' so best to avoid confrontation best way you can. For the first few weeks feed them in seperate areas and place his food down first, let him out of his cage first etc oh and pt something that smells of you in her crate so she doesn't cry during the night - reward him when he kisses/plays with her :) this should ensure a relatively smooth introduction into the family xxx
+1 Excellent advice. No sense in me typing it again, LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts