Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately the household has gotten into a discussion about randomly moving to Ireland this summer. (Yes it's extremely spontaneous, just kind of brain storming, nothing set in stone obviously lol.. we'd have lotsa loose ends to tie up here first ;).)

We're a household of 3 couples and 4 dogs.

Since we're just kind of dreaming but with half-serious intent, and I know some of you members are from Ireland, could you suggest any towns in Ireland that would be a great place for a bunch of newbies to move to? Needless to say it's a crazy idea, but just humor us.. ;)

Somewhere with affordable living, economic/job stability, nice scenerey, etc.

Ideally it'd be somewhere just like where we are now (Freeport, IL) but smack dab in the middle of Ireland instead. =D
Job wise, somewhere that 3 hard-working men could get in anywhere entry-level; nobody's got any restrictions or anything that prevents them from labor or anything like that. Not looking for a huge career opportunities, just even like factories or warehouses, distribution centers, etc. where guys are needed for shipping, loading, that kinda stuff.

We'd all live together, really would only need 3 separate areas, not necessarily bedrooms. A nice basement or finished loft is plenty room just so each couple has privacy.

We're basically just a bunch of really young hippies who want to venture out.. Ireland sounded like a good idea lol.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I would love to visit there. I am from Irish heritage. It is so amazingly beautiful there :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I admire your bravery, spunk, and adventuresome spirit! Would love to follow your journey, you should start a blog. ;) Then we can live vicariously through you.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Awesome! My family is from Ireland as well, Id love to go. My sister went to Dublin a few years ago to run the marathon and loved it. Without doing any research Im guessing getting ahold of work visas much less a job would not be easy in Ireland right now with the major economic crisis theyre experiencing. I lived in the Bahamas a few years ago when my dad moved there for work and I wasnt able to get a job at all because they had a lot of unemployment as well so in order to get a work visa you had to prove that you could do a job that no one else on the island was qualified to do, and pay $1000+ to get it. Not sure at all what Irelands policies are but I wouldnt be surprised if you were looking at something similar there given the economic crisis, I would imagine citizens are lucky to get jobs. Let us know what you find out! That would be an amazing adventure for sure. My cousin moved to Australia a few months ago and works for a moving company. My sister and her boyfriend and a college friend took a year off before law school to live in Australia as well and they got various random jobs, picking mangos (not recommended!), door to door sales, and as telemarketers. Definitely a fun way to travel and to experience another country. Are you open to anywhere else if Irelands too tricky?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I don't live there anymore...but I am going to give you both sides of the situation.

It is great in so many ways. The country is beautiful, the city (dublin) is gone very Euro and touristy $$$$$. but loaded with things to amuse you. The best part of Ireland is that social life is very important. Even my friends who have 6 kids and are tired get out to relax. If you know someone who has a small business with opportunity that would be your best way to find a job.

the economy is terrible there, really the bubble has burst, jobs are not easy to come by...my friends who have moved back are all living on inherited properties. The cost of living is much higher than in the MId america. there are certain breaks that a democratic scoal country offers like university tuiton, health care and child allowence whci are for 'visitors"..

If you have contacts, friends of friends cousins that sort of thing--start checking into jobs. There are proabaly houses to rent as many have gone recently to AUS again and US. or UK...

check out on line things like 'done deal" and look at the ad-s. for things like housing , jobs, cars, etc.

I truly love it there and the last time I was there my daughter asked "tell me again why we don't live here??"--haha Please don't think I am saying don't do, actually I'd say go for it--just keep your eyes open about it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. Well honest response, we have no connections there. It just.. sounded nice. As far as being open to anywhere else? The whole globe. =D
I wish I could find a way to describe my household and us group of people.. but there's just.. not any way to do so. We're all just very free spirited. And we're all at that point where we realize we have our whole lives ahead of us and we want to DO something, we only live once... none of us are the career type. We don't all want to 'be something' when we grow up. We want to just BE us, we want to live, to experience, to see things. We're all happy working minimum wage jobs because the job we do doesn't define us; it's what we do OUT of work.
Ireland sounds beautiful. It sounds like an adventure. I guess that's what we're looking for... not just to travel, but to up and MOVE and live somewhere for however long we want.
And Tracy, rest assured whatever we do and wherever we go I will be blogging it all the way =D lol.
If economically Ireland isn't stable for us, what WOULD be a good welcoming country for a bunch of adventurous daydreamers??

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have a great uncle that lived all over the globe for years at a time after he retired from the railroad. He was very wealthy though and could manage. I agree with the above posters, Ireland is in economic turmoil right now and from what I hear if you think getting a job here is a pain, it's scary bad there.

I personally would love to visit places like Sweden, Norway, Switzerland etc. Just me though, if I were to live somewhere i'd definitely consider someplace like Maine, or Maryland, perhaps Connecticut.

Very ambitious of you :]

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would make a list of places youve always wanted to see and then do some research as to living conditions, what their immigration laws are like and whats involved in getting a work visa to live and work there. Id also definitely check into their laws for bringing dogs in...my mom was born and grew up in England and moved back to London to teach for a year and didnt even take her dog because they have to be quarantined for 30 days before theyre allowed in (no rabies there, so theyre overly cautious). Im assuming thats something youd want to avoid! My family has all done a lot of traveling, but in our immediate family my sister is the one who has stayed more longterm in different places, she actually hated Australia but my cousin who is there now loves it so I think thats just a personal thing, I think it would be a really cool place to go. She did her last semester of law school in Singapore and spent a lot of time in Thailand and Vietnam and loved both, shes been back to Thailand several times since and loves it. Beautiful country and cheap cheap cheap to live and travel, so that might be somewhere to look into as well. Like I said if it were me I would make a list of places that sound good and then look into them further, I honestly would avoid Ireland at the moment theyre in a tough time.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
ok i agree about everything said above.
bot at the moment we have no goverment, elections soon, the last ones made such a balls of our country. they bailed the baks out taking out massive loans that we pay back now, there are huge levys introduced in our wage packet, there are few jobs, those advertised, have qs a mile long. we have 1000 young people a week leaving. oh you would get accomadation no problem.
holiday , yes, to live no, we are in a mess

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Agree with Amanda
Theres no money here!!!!
We live in the north of ireland and its terrible at the moment but i think the south is a bit worse off!!
I think its more expensive too live in the south of Ireland too than up in the North!!

I would love too leave LOL more job opportunities else where i would think!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Southern ireland is one of the most beautifull in the world, Google in Dingle, and the west coast is stunning, the people down their are so friendly with a great love of children, everyone is made to feel so welcome, also its so laid back, we are there as often as we can be, were not that far away, have been looking at houses in a place called Killrush, i love it there, let us know what you decide xx

·
Registered
384 Posts
ireland sounds nice. very random convo. but cool that you'd like to move there.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yes i know when we do shows in Dublin its very expensive even for a cuppa tea!!
I recently flew from Dublin to go too wales and the prices in the Airport was maddness!!!!
I love Belfast BUT would love too move away some where different!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay here's an idea- who on here who already lives in Ireland wants to just "trade" homes for a while? I can offer a nice 2 bedroom house, technically 3 if you consider the finished room in the basement; fenced in yard too! =D Only $445/month plus utilities... and of course the yard is already fully chihuahua-proofed!! =D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, okay, ASIDE from the piles and piles of snow in the front yard... we have a nice path shoveled ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts