Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 month old Shihchi. I often take her for 5-6 mile walks. She keeps up fine. My question is, will it be doing her any harm in either the short or long term?
Thank you for your shared knowledge.

·
Registered
872 Posts
If she is healthy and has no problem keeping up, she should be fine. We use to do 5+ miles 3-4 times a week, and everyone (1 lab, 1 jackchi, 1 chi; all adult) were happy and stable.

We've had to cut that back to 1.5 miles every other day, due to my lab's arthritis, and a weekly run in the woods on the weekend. I also take my jackchi running with me during the week (because a mile at a slow walk is definitely not enough for her).

Basically, just keep an eye on her and make sure you have a way to carry her if it looks like she's getting tired or sore. She will likely push herself to keep up with you and keep you happy; but at her age, as long as she's healthy, I say let her go as far as she's comfortable and still having fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help. We’ve had collies and spaniels in the past so a little dog is very different.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Typically, your chihuahua will let you know if you've gone too far lol. One of ours has always been limited with how far she will go; she sits down and won't move. Stubborn for a little 4 year old. Our other two can go for miles however, there can be days when they just get more tired, the weather is not ok for them (even on temperate days) or they just aren't feeling well for some reason. As they get older, it can happen more but your walks will definitely not be a factor in this aspect at all. I think you can have some very happy babies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts