Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone!! havent been on in a while!!!
i just want some opinions on if i should be adding or removing anything from apples current diet....

i have been buying beef grind from my butcher wich is basically a mix of scrap meat and organs that the butcher cant use....he grinds it up and freezes it into blocks.....
aswell i get an order of chicken necks for her from my butcher

now i dont know if this is needed...and ive had mixed opinions on veggies...but mixed with her beef grind i also add an assortment of veggies wich varry each time depending on what i have in the kicthen (carrot, spinach, lettuce, cucumber, mint, parsley, somtimes a tiny bit of garlic) etc etc....
does anyone else feed raw veggies in their chis diet???

so anyways every morning i give apple a small portion of the beef and veg mixture and then for dinner she eats a chicken neck.

as for treats i buy her ziwi peak meat and mussel dried treats. i get different flavours each time...lasttime was salmon and venison i beleive...and this time is venison and muscle resipe, and also she always has a bully stick to chew on and she LOVES it!!!

once in a while ill give her a raw egg....or soem salmon if we ourselves are eating it... but generally she has the beef veg aswell as chicken neck.

im up for any advice or opinions!!! thanks!!
sorry its a bit of a long post!!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Do you know what the percentages are in the beef grind you are using from the butcher? It would be nice if it was 80/10/10 but hard to know if they are using scraps and leftovers. If you are feeding mostly meat, a little bone, and some organs (half of which is liver), then you are good to go. It's easy to get too bone heavy with the grinds as they typically contain more than 10% bone. If you are doing chicken necks, that is a lot of bone. I'd probably tweak that just a tad and instead of doing all chicken necks, do some breasts and/or some boneless meat meals. That would help balance out the extra bone.

As for treats, those you are using sound fine.

I personally would leave out the veggies. They are a 'filler' that isn't needed, but if you really want to add them, make sure they are ground up into a slurry or they won't be absorbed at all. Dogs don't have amylase which is important in the breakdown of the cellulose and the digestion of vegetables, so most of them just pass on through. But if you process them in a blender, for example, and break down the cellulose (pre-chewing them really), then the dog can absorb some of the nutrients/fiber they provide.

If the butcher can't really tell you what is in his mix, or it varies, I'd probably be on the safe side and buy some liver and kidney and portion out just a tiny bit once a week or so. Organs are very nutrient dense and important in a raw diet as they provide vitamins/minerals not found in muscle meats.

If you are feeding all factory farmed (not organic or grass fed) beef and meats, then it's good to add in a fatty acid supplement for the omega 3's which are depleted in farmed meats. Just get some fish oil, either the kind for dogs in a pump, or you can just get the fish oil gel caps for people and drain one on her food a couple times a week and you should be good to go. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your reply!! i was hoping that you would reply cause your always good with raw info lol.....

as for the beef grind the butcher told me that he doesnt include bone in it...so it is just meat and organs..as for the organs it looks as though liver is mostly what i see in it....
as for the chicken i have actually been cutting the necks in half cause apple was gaining a bit of weight....and half seems to be a pefect amount for her.....

i will have to double check if the meat is organic.....even if it is would the fish oil still be somthing good to add to her diet?!?!?!

thank you so much for your input!!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, fish oil is a great addition, even if the meat is grass fed and not grain finished. Most grocery store meats are grain finished and that depletes the omega 3's. Fish oil is a great supplement and I highly recommend. Go slowly at first to make sure it doesn't give her runny stools but Brody has fish oil at least 2-3 times a week and it doesn't phase him at all. I forgot to say that eggs are always a good additive as well. You can even feed the shell if she will eat it as it's full of calcium.

If the meat grind doesn't include bone, then you are fine giving the half of a chicken neck. If stools look a little chalky or dry or she's straining to go, add in a couple of meat only meals.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill have to pick some fish oil up then!! and the egg is a great idea....maybe ill start mixing it into her food once in a while shell and all......

i started apple on raw only about 6 months ago and now that ive figured out all the kinks and have gotten her into a routine just wanted to make sure im covering all her needs.....

thank you so much for your help!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts