Chihuahua People Forum banner

Is Bruiser sick?*UPDATE*

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  nabi 
#1 ·
When any of you brought your new puppy home, was he really nervous? Because Bru has diarrhea and he keeps scooting his butt along the carpet. He did just get his first round of shots the day before I got him- on Wednesday, could that have anything to do with it?
Please help, I'm kinda worried.

#4 ·
The scooting could also be from worms? Have you seen any worms?

Corky got sick when we first got him but he was sick when we picked him up and it just got worse. Keep an eye on the diahrrea. If it doen't get better really soon, talk to your vet because puppys will dedydrate fast. If the stools start smelling foul (you will know the difference between normal smelling stool and this smell) or if there is blood, get to the vet asap and take a good stool sample right then for them to test for parasites. Don't wait hoping it will get better if you see these things.

We got Corky on a Saturday and by Sunday he was having diahhrea and lethargic. It continued and by Tuesday it was bloody and he was dehydrated. By Wednesday he wasn't eating and by Thursday we almost lost him. He pulled through thanks to a WONDERFUL vet and staff. He ended up having Coccidia and Giardia.

I am not telling you this to scare you as it may just be your baby adjusting to her new home and diahhrea can be common with a change like that. I was still learning when we got our chi and had I known about some of these signs, Corky may not got as bad as he did. Just make sure your baby is eating and drinking. If that ceases, get to the vet too.

I hope your puppy gets adjusted soon and is feeling great!

#5 ·
I read in another thread that he's only 6 1/2 weeks old. That's pretty young for him to be away from his mother. If he's having diarrhea, be sure to keep him well hydrated and keep the nutrical handy just in case. If it continues for more than a day or so, I'd take him to the vet. With a puppy that young, you want to catch whatever it is before it quickly turns into something much more serious.

#10 ·
Perhaps the canned food was just too rich for his system. If it is something that he wasn't eating with his dry food at the breeders, then it could definitely cause some gastric upset. Still, your best bet is a visit to your vet just to be sure that all is well with your new pup. :)

#13 ·
I am so glad you got him to the vet so quickly. Corky had Coccidia and he went downhill fast. Within one day of the meds Corky perked right up and in about 1.5-2 days his stools were firm. He began eating very well the day after starting the meds.

I will keep Bruiser in my thoughts and hope for quick and speedy recovery!

#16 ·
So glad he's feeling better!

Just keep in mind that sometimes it takes several rounds of antibiotics to completly get rid of the coccidia. If it goes away and comes back call your vet.
Sandy had 2 rounds of the liquid Albon and 1 round of pill form before her's went away. Koke had 2 rounds of the liquid.

Just keep on top of it, it will go away eventually. :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.